WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2008, 02:15 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #92 July 4--July 12

Hi Jeanne and all, what a great list. Sorry I can't take part, too much stuff going on. We will be in our rent house on July 14 in Silver City, NM, and I will get back to Hunting. The sketches are great, too. See y'all soon.

Jo
Winston Churchill
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2008, 07:49 AM
north carolina

Joan - oh thanks for the wavy taste of the beach, good one

Joe - the abolone is great, your even got the opal essence goin' on there, half an hour well spent

Annie - so glad your way wended back this way. Ohhh such lovely depth and texture on the lowest daisy, delightful casual choice. Cool stool (afool? is a combo of two words??) Those tortilla chips ..awesome texture on those crunchie guys, smooth pair of eye covers

Jeanne - I like to hear about that area. Did I mention growing up in LA suburb? ahhhh but you are out in a spacious place. yeaouch-109!!!!!

Julie - enjoy reading your blog, this pink bunny still has fur . I like the orange and brown color combination.. Lately brown has just seemed a heavy, unappealing color......but this is nice

Here's #6 - diet sprite 0
7 - odd - walker
8 - fancy - baby grand piano
Did these 5 minute sketches at work while my friend Mr. H ate breakfast.
Attached Images

http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Joe - Thanks. Your shell is great! Love the texture from the smudge inside and the ridges on the outside are perfect!

Annie - Glad to see you're jumping back in. Thanks. I do try to finish the list, but don't always succeed if there's something really unusual. Love your flip-flops still attached together. Good fist. I had to laugh at the slow memory for the computer...good thinking. Cute stuffed animal...nice softness. Love the daisies. Nice job on the stool, clams, scrub brush, sunglasses and cheese. But my favorite is the grainy tortilla chips...well shadowed and nice against the dark background.

Jeanne - Thank you. As much as you would think I'd do sand for grainy, I didn't. lol

Julie - Thanks. Cute "bottoms up." Nice job on the crunchy-looking carrots (yum???).

Jo - Good to see you pop in. Hope the traveling hasn't worn you out.

Azul - Thanks. That's just one of my many beach sketches. Good job on the Diet Sprite can. A piano is hard to sketch...too many keys. Is that Mr. H's walker you sketched? Hope you were done before he wanted it back.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2008, 10:18 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

17 - Challenge #1 -something grainy, smooth, ribbed, fuzzy, airy - ink & inktense pencil

18 - someone else's fist (my husband's) water-soluble graphite
Attached Images

#50   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2008, 04:19 PM
WC! Guide

Azul nice job on the sprite. I find soda cans and bottles very hard to do perspective wise. Yes we are more spacious than LA but getting there.

Joan nice job on the fist. And you got that other stuffed animal in there. After all that sun, you have to revitalize your skin. I was in the pool for less than an hour on 4th of July and I could feel when my face started burning. I usually keep my face out of the sun. I burn really bad across my nose and cheeks. And I don't like wearing sun screen. I get the stuff all over everything including my art paper. So I just try to stay in the shade.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Immortalized
California

azul - thanks. I like your page of sketches, especially that walker.

joan - that is a super challenge page. I love the wavy boxes and that shell.

jeanne - if you burn that easily, you still need sunscreen in the shade...and a hat.

"Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Ed Parker, Sr.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2008, 05:52 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Jeanne, Julie, Azul, Joan: many thanks for the welcome (back) and the nice comments about my sketches.

I've learned something new in doing these sketches: I don't have to be perfect! I'm not kidding. I'm really loosening up with these compared to how I often agonize; for instance needing to get the angle of each line exactly right. (It was all those years of drafting that did it to me.)

Jeanne: It's great that you volunteer to host so frequently, but I can see how it would be a challenge to think of new items. I know what you mean about "fancy" foods. What does that mean, anyway? I'm planning to try the clams - which were on sale for 99 cents - for dinner with some spagetti, garlic, parsley and olive oil - how fancy can that be?

Julie: I'm glad I could pass some inspiration along to you, after Jeanne gave me some. Cute little upside down bunny and the carrots are very nice too. They do look crunchy.

Hi Jo! Enjoy the vacation!

Azul: "Afool?" Am I missing something? Nice sketches - I like the way you've put them in boxes and then woven the titles around them. You seem to be good at capturing the essence of an object. Simplicity is something that too frequently eludes me. The walker is particularly well drawn.

Joan: More charming sketches! The shell is lovely and I love the ducky - great job on the fuzziness. Nice find for "airy" - I never would have thought of that! I like the scalloped border you drew around your sketches and the lettering. I must confess - I want some of those inktense pencils, now that I've seen what you've done with them. Great fist too.

OK, here are my next ones:

Sorry that the images turned out too dark. You'll probably notice a bunch of things in the still life basket that aren't on the list. That's because it's not a "posed" still life - it's my junk basket (like a junk drawer). I probably should have listed the ribbon as "smooth" and the little plastic bag that's holding the buttons as "pliable." I've really gotten into this! Yay! I may even complete the entire list!

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 07-10-2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: image didn't show up
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Jeanne - thank you

Joe - thank you. Nice fist! Cool shell!

Azul - thank you. Nice walker/stoop/seat. Your friend Mr. H eats quickly!

Joan - thank you. That's a great swap idea. I'll keep an eye on my mailbox for your watermelon slices Great folding chair. Cool bank card. Your challenge piece is so cool with the wiggly lines and all the little windows

AnnieA - thank you I can just barely remember seeing you in the hunts when I started doing them. Your pencil work is sooooo coool! Make sure you clip that plastic loop before you walk in your flip flops. Love the zzzs from your snoozing catnip mouse. Nice hatching behind your hips and at the base of your fan.

Julie - thank you Carrots don't have to be diet food. They can be regular food

Cheers,
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2008, 12:21 AM
WC! Guide

Annie very nice ones. I like the dark color. Nice basket with all the stuff inside. Lots of detail. Did you take a look at Andrea Josephs site? I love looking at her art. So do a lot of others as she always has a lot of comments.

Nice job on the detail on the cup. Nice to have a memory like that. I only remember my dad buying me something specifically from him about twice in my life. One a bike in pieces that he put together. I had so much fun on that old bike. He always depended on mom buying the gifts.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2008, 12:23 AM
WC! Guide

I see that we have lost our eskielady too. I always wonder what happens to people who disappear. I wish Curly would come back. She was so upbeat and kept us all going. So many I miss.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2008, 12:56 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

EP: Yeah, I vaguely remember first hearing something about the scavenger hunt in the old weekly pastel sketch thread...was that you? Or maybe it was Wendy. It was well over a year ago at any rate. Thanks for your compliments on my pencil work. Would you believe I'm using a mechanical pencil? Seems to work for me so I'm going with it. I still can't get over how graphic your work is here - you're quite a versatile artist.

Jeanne: Many thanks. I did look at Andrea Joseph's site - very cool. I found her style charming. My Dad typically let my Mom do the present buying too, but I admired this cup once when I was at his office - by the looks of it, it may have been around there since the '20s or '30s (he was in business with my grandfather) - so he made me a present of it. I bet you loved that bike...

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2008, 10:05 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Jeanne - Thanks. My duck was feeling neglected so I figured I'd better sketch him too. I don't like sunscreen either, but use enough of it to keep all of them in business. With the amount of time I spend outside in the summer I need to be swimming in it. I wear it year-round on my face and I usually wear a visor or hat too. It's strange how some people take part in the hunts so actively and then disappear. I hope some of them come back. It's fun with a lot of active people.

Julie - Thank you. It was hard to resist doing some of the challenge outdoors, but I didn't want to drag my large pad where I had drawn the boxes around with me.

Annie - Thanks. The Inktense pencils are fun. I can sit on my couch and use them with my waterbrush and I don't have to worry about making a mess. Beautiful job on that columbine bloom! Love the backet with all your treasures. Excellent job on all the holes in that grater!! I really like your style of sketching.

EP - Thanks. The watermelon will be arriving shortly...you DO have a big mailbox, don't you??? Your boxes from the last hunt stayed with me and I knew I wanted to do the challenge that way this time.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2008, 10:12 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

I did 4 sketches but one of them won't load for some reason!

19 - tangled cords - ink
20 - thorns - ink & Inktense pencils (Every morning I pass this thorny bush of roses when I take my walk. I tried a few times to break off a piece of the bush to bring home to sketch. All I got were pokes in my fingers from the thorns and the branch wouldn't break. I kept meaning to bring a small pair of scissors to snip the branch, but of course I forgot. So armed with a wadded up tissue I finally broke one of the drier pieces off.)
21 - amazing - the view of our natural surroundings - watercolor (4 x 6 - about 40 minutes)
Attached Images

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2008, 01:23 PM
WC! Guide

Just look at the color of that water. Just beckons. Good job. Sorry about the thorns. Next time break off a couple of thorns and bring them home. Sometimes they will come off. don't get caught chopping off someone's plant tho.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2008, 09:56 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Thanks, Jeanne. I think breaking off the thorns would have been worse than breaking off a piece of branch.

Here are the rest of my sketches for this hunt.
* different size and shaped keys - ink
* "slow" speed on my hand mixer - ink
* something casual - beach clothing - pencil
* something shredded - some kind of paper for my scarecrow's hair - ink
Attached Images