WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2008, 05:30 PM
WC! Guide

Re: Scavenger Hunt #92 July 4--July 12

Julie nice ones. Good crushed, nice pringles, and I like that stack of cheese.

Joan good job. Nice find on the odd.

EP nice bristles on the brush. Clean lines on your hand. And cheese is my comfort food too and my thighs are my proof.

Azul very nice hatching on the shells and nice to hear why you have them. You are both sentimental or romantic. Very nice.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Kivrin - Great shading on the brush and cover sketches!

Azul - Excellent renderings!!! not sure what a spelt stick is? Nice hatching on the shells.

J - Love how you fit sketching into your daily life. For me they always have to be done during "art time" if you know what I mean. I guess I tend to compartmentalize.

Joan T
- You are definitely getting good with the ink tense!!! Text on the hand cream is really good!! Proportioned/Perspective text is a real challenge for me. Love Mickey mooning us!!! Love the shells in the dish/candle holder!! Who would have thought you collect shells. We have them in the bathrooms big ones and baskets of smaller ones, Why are they so fascinating?
Julie - Nice work!! Love the cheese slices and the Pringles can!!!!

EP - Great line work. Love the clean lines of the fist!!!

Only did a couple today and I still need to scan them.

Be back later.
Joe
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

I just noticed that the posts don't say how old they are anymore. Just the date.

Here's today's efforts. Both are 3.5x2.5 inch using .7mm HB . Not sure of the time probably about 15 min each.

[IMG]../Community/images/08-Jul-2008/17342-Photo271.jpg[/IMG]
#1 my fist
[IMG]../Community/images/08-Jul-2008/17342-Photo272.jpg[/IMG]
#2 something I just purchased. - Solar lights to replace the plug-in lights. My effort to go green.

Joe

Will try using the manage attachments next.
Attached Images

Last edited by jmfletch : 07-08-2008 at 07:12 PM. Reason: "Insert Image" is on the fritz again!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2008, 10:12 PM
WC! Guide

Hey Joe. I don't have art time. It's just when I want to. Good job on the fist. Your sketches are so clean but with lots of detail.

I can't upload anything except thru the manage attachments. Haven't been able to for quite a few months. But before the changeover they showed as normal size. Now just thumbnails.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2008, 07:38 AM
north carolina

EP - that bagel could be a doughnut I digress (and drool) . Great fist and nice crop on the brush

Joan - LOL at your choice for odd, What IS that thing for, anyway???

Joe - you are most admirable and now going miniscule on us

Jeanne - Hi and are you going out in the plein aire today???? Is it smoky there???
http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2008, 12:46 PM
WC! Guide

Azul no I will stay in today. Supposed to be 109 today 110 tomorrow. The group was going to the association gallery in the mall because of the heat and I can't do my art here just fine without fighting the heat.

Since we are in a valley, our air quality is bad because of the fires. We don't really see the smoke but around sunset, it looks smoky/smoggy.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2008, 05:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

EP - Thanks. Good scrub brush and excellent fist!! I'll swap you some watermelon for a bagel.

Jeanne - Thanks. This list is rather challenging.

Joe - Thanks. I've always had a thing for shells since I was a kid and my dad wouldn't let the 5 of us bring home 5 pails of shells every day that we went to the beach. lol Wonderful job on the fist...love the shading! Good job on the solar lights. Since WetCanvas went quirky I haven't been able to upload except as attachments that are thumbnails. I don't know how other people are doing full-sized images.

Azul - I think my 3 pound weight is mostly a paperweight. I do pull it out on occasion and lift it a few times.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2008, 05:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

12 - cheese - ink & Inktense pencils
13 - fancy item (an earring) - watersoluble pencil
14 - fond memories (This charm was a gift from my sister, Mickey and her husband when I was a bridesmaid in their wedding back in 1965. Some of you know her...she joins the hunts on occasion.) ink
15 - folding chair - ink
Attached Images

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2008, 05:17 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

15 - something wavy (Admit it...you knew it was coming!) water-soluble pencil
16 - something from my bank - ink and inktense pencils
Attached Images

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

J - Thanks.

Azul
- The small size is for practice. Our leader J has me doing ATC's in a WC Project, since it is a first for me I am trying to get use to working small.

Joan T
- I worked in a shell for today's sketch. Pretty well covered in barnacles. Nice job with the ink sketches. I knew you would do a wave!!!! WOW in 10 minutes!!! Excellent!!!

Just did one today but spent close to a half hour on it.

#3 something granular - sand and ash in a shell I use for smudging. 3.5x2.5 inch using .5mm 2h and 2B and my handy dandy eraser!

Joe
Attached Images

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2008, 07:52 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Hi! I haven't done the scavenger hunt in ages. Not only that, but I've been stuck for just about 6 months now - hardly any artwork done in all those months. So I wanted to send a special thanks to Jeanne for her list, which seems to have inspired me (finally!). Here's what I've done so far:

I'm on dialup, and right now, as people are just getting home from work here on the West Coast, my connection is especially slow, so my apologies for not commenting on others' work in this post. I'll return a little later when my connection is not so excrutiatingly slow (you really don't want to know how long it took me to upload these three images ). Again, many thanks Jeanne - this is a great list.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2008, 11:19 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Well, the bandwidth is better now and I'm able to look at everyone else's work. You know, it's been so long since I've posted in the scavenger hunt that I'm not sure that anybody will remember me! I forgot to mention in the post above that these were all done in pencil in a 8x11-inch sketchbook.

kivrin: Nice sketches of the scrub brush and sourdough starter covering. You seem to have a sensitive hand. How was the bread? Mmmm...sourdough. I've thought of buying some starter from S.F. I love San Francisco sourdough and I've heard it's especially good because the weather there does something to the starter (although I see now, following your link, that there are other theories about why it's such an outstanding starter). Thanks for that link.

Azul: Very cool sketches. And I love the photo. Is that where you are? I also took a peek at your blog. The water motif at the top is wonderful! I took a year of Chinese (Mandarin) in school, but it was years ago and I don't recognize a single character! I envy you your choice of comfort food - yours is healthy and not fattening! Nice job with values and good crosshatching on those and on the shells, too. What a nice memory.

Jeanne: Hi! Remember me? LOL about your sourdough starter in the mail story! You shouldn't worry about your SIL's reaction to your sketch; she looks good in a swimsuit - so she's doing great at 66! I like the guy in the cap, too. OMG...109??? How can you stand it? You're smart to stay inside!

Joan: Charming sketches! Nice lettering on the salad mix and ice cream, and the hand cream and cheese box too. The fist is very well rendered. LOL at the eraser-fish and the Mickey Mouse! The watermelon looks luscious - great color. Those pencils yield some nice results. I like the soft quality you achieved with them on the bag (cover) and scrub brush. You're fast! I can't believe the cheese box took only 16 minutes! (Are we supposed to be keeping track of the time?) Do you generally manage to finish the entire list? It looks like you're well on your way this time. The folding chair looks surprisingly comfortable. The soft look of the waves is appealing - and nice interpretation of "wavy."

Hi Julie! Nice sketches! I like the Pringles container and the folding chair is nicely rendered. I'm amazed that you can work so quickly in OP. When I was doing the scavenger hunt before it was taking me an hour for each one! Since I'm on dialup, I've decided to work only in pencil. Just going through this thread has taken me more than an hour so far, and I'm not even done! What brand did you use for the sketches?

Hi EP! Wow, your sketches have such a different feel to them compared to the colorful portraits of yours that I know best. These have a wonderful graphic look. Great job - the fist is especially well done.

Joe: Glad you were able to get your sketches posted. They're both well done - the hand especially is very well rendered - great shading. The sand in the shell is beautifully done - wonderful sense of the different textures.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 07-09-2008 at 11:24 PM.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2008, 11:50 PM
WC! Guide

Hi Annie. Welcome back. Glad you found your way back and that my list was inspirational for you. I've hosted so many times, it is hard not to repeat. I am now trying to find some new things for #100. I want it to be special but having a hard time figuring out how to make it that way.

Very good find on the granular and the fancy. I never even thought about food as fancy. Nice graphite work. The glasses are much better than ones I do.

Joe nice shell. Exactly what are barnacles? I never have tried to find out. Also what do you do with the sand and ash? Smudge?

Joan nice bunch. Yippee you did a wave now where is the sand? I made those two easy for you. Nice job on the cheese, you can see the crumbled cheese.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2008, 12:19 AM
Immortalized
California

azul - nice memories, wow 5 min sketches!

joan - thanks, love your choice of "odd". Yup I knew the wave was coming. Oooo, that bank card looks good enough to spend

EP - I'm enjoying these peeks into your windows. excellent crops

joe - nice renderings on the fist & solar lights. Great job with "granular"

jeanne - whew, definately stay inside. If not for the heat, then for the smoke. Even though you can't see it in the day time, it's still there.

annie - great to see you here again and wow what a post Nice perspective and lettering on the clams. Love the snoozing mouse. Excellent find for "slow."

I just had my shower after getting back from the gym. Work's been so busy, I feel like I've already worked a whole week and it's only Wednesday. But Annie, you've got me inspired to sketch something before I go to bed.

"Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Ed Parker, Sr.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2008, 01:35 AM
Immortalized
California

Yay, I made it back before bedtime. #8 underside of a stuffed animal and #9 diet food. Pentel Oil pastels in the 8x11 sketchbook. Maybe 15 min for both.

"Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Ed Parker, Sr.