WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 10:54 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States
Lightbulb Mandala Self-Portrait Challenge!

Welcome to the Mandala Self-Portrait Challenge!

In this challenge, we’re going to flex our imaginations and use some different parts of our brains to create personal mandalas. The goal of this is to get us looking at ourselves and the world in a slightly different way. To get us thinking in terms of symbol and metaphor, instead of what absolutely *is.*

Before we go too far, here are the
rules for the Self-Portrait Mandala Challenge:

--The challenge will be open for anyone to join in, regardless of their experience level. Post your intention to participate in this thread. No new participants will be allowed after June 8th, 2008.

--Participants may post their mandalas beginning on June 15th, 2008. The final date to post images will be June 29th, 2008. It’s a lengthy deadline that I plan to take full advantage of!

--So we can all enjoy and comment on your work for this challenge, please post your mandalas in this thread only.

-- No WIP’s or posting yours before June 15th! Brainstorming and chatting about the challenge in this thread is perfectly fine. Just try not to be *too* specific about what your mandala looks like. We want to be surprised when you post your work!

--Size and paper/support are up to you.

--Mixed media is definitely ok, but because this is the cp forum, your mandala *does* need to be mostly colored pencil!

--You can make your mandala as detailed and complex as you want. Just keep in mind there *is* a deadline! If you want to keep it pretty simple, that is just fine, too.

--When you post your mandala, please tell us a bit about it. Why did you pick that shade of orange? What does a particular object mean to you? Share as much as you are comfortable with, but help the rest of us to understand how you used the project! And maybe even what you’ve learned!

--When commenting, please tread softly. It’s entirely likely folks will be sharing things that are very close and very dear to them. Respect and honor their personal truths in the way you want people to respect yours.

--If there is enough interest from folks who missed the sign-up date, we can do another round at a later time.

Before I throw out some ideas to help y’all get going, here are some links you might find helpful:

Wikipedia article on Mandalas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandala
And one on Rose Windows: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_window
And the Mandala Project: http://www.mandalaproject.org/

Next up, some ideas for composing your mandala...

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 10:59 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States
Re: Mandala Self-Portrait Challenge!

Composing your Mandala:

There are a few tools that you may find helpful in creating your own mandalas:

--a compass for those who want their circles to be perfectly round. If you don’t have a compass, grab a dinner plate or bowl or anything round that’ll be the right size for your center and the rings.

--ruler, if you’ve got a *thing* about straight lines (that would be me!)

--protractor. Very helpful to divide your circle into pie sections. It’s not necessary, though. If anyone would like step-by-step instructions on how to divide a circle fairly accurately *without* using a protractor, just give a shout & I’ll post a demo here.

Here are a few “blank” templates to give you some ideas of how you could compose your own (please note, these aren’t “official” titles for the layouts, it’s just how I think of them)

Simple Circles:

Six point star:

Blossom:

Interlocked Circles:

Four Corners:

If you get stumped creating your own from scratch, I have bigger versions of these I can send if you need them.

Next, a few ideas of what to place in your "center."

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 11:00 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Finding Your Center

So now that you’ve got a few ideas of *how* to lay out a mandala, you’ll need to figure out what you want to put in it! The challenging part of this is to *push* yourself a bit and to find a way to portray what is important to you. What makes your heart happy? What lifts your spirit? What makes your shoulders sag and your feet ache? Here are some ideas to get the ball rolling (and these are just ideas, not rules!):

--Try to avoid using portraits to show the people in your life. For me, if I wanted to represent my immediate family with something realistic, I could use the flowers my hubby & son usually give me. Hubby would be a rose, boy-o would be a dandelion, and I could be chicory (I’m always picking the flowers out of roadside ditches to bring home when I go for walks). Or if I wanted to concentrate on my mom, I could use sprigs of lavender, sage, and an orange (her house *always* smells like these).

--Try to avoid using obvious symbols and images. If you wish to place a representation of your religion in your mandala, try not to use the accepted, usual symbols. Think instead about your spiritual practice, and find something that resonates on a truly personal level. Maybe it’s the way light & colors fall through a stained glass window, or the feeling when a candle is lit. Or maybe there is a parable or line from a hymn that you hold close to your heart.

--Feel free to use words! But instead of going for the easy ones, try to dig a little deeper. If you’re wanting to use “love” maybe use “cherish” or “adore.” Or go for what “love” feels like-- soft warmth, bottomless safety, solid strength and support? Or maybe it’s dazzling and fiery?

--If you want to keep your mandala free of realistic images, that is more than ok! Think in colors, what does red say to you? What does blue taste like? When you fall asleep at night, what are the colors behind your eyelids? Experiment with patterns and textures. This could also be a fun way to practice using color *temperatures*~~ warm blues, and cool yellows etc.

--If you want to poke at the monsters in your closets, you are certainly welcome to! What is the shape of your fear? What color is the worst-case-scenario? And what will pull you through, keep you safe, guide you?

Hopefully I’ve given y’all what you need to get started. If anyone has any questions or needs more info on any of this, just give a yell! With that being said, got your pencils sharpened? Everyone ready?

On your mark…. Get set…. GO!

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 07:20 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

I know some of you are just *dying* to dive in to this sort of thing... do I need to name names? Double dog dare anyone? Or can I just bribe y'all with muffins?

Rosemary

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 07:34 PM
PA

Hails from United States

I should probably hold out and work the bribe for the muffins, but, I'm in! I have a hard time turning my back on a good challenge!

Save
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Immortalized
Newfoundland

Hails from Canada

Ooooooooh, what a wonderful concept! I love mandalas and how complex they can be. I did a class with Armin Mersmann on symbolic portraiture and really enjoyed it. This sounds like another opportunity to go down a similar path.

I want to give it a try!

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 07:40 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Excellent!

So maybe I'll *reward* folks with muffins, instead of bribing them... What kind would you like, Elaine?

Rosemary

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 07:40 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Great, Jeannette!

Have a muffin request?
Rosemary

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 07:41 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Something involving chocolate. Duh.

Save
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Ireland

I am scared. This looks most complicated ! I mean,the mandala should be symmetrical ,shouldn`t it ?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 08:09 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elen
I am scared. This looks most complicated ! I mean,the mandala should be symmetrical ,shouldn`t it ?

Traditional Buddhist Mandalas do tend to be symmetrical in their layout and how the circles are divided. But what gets placed inside of those divisions usually isn't.

For this challenge, forget what a mandala is "supposed" to be. Toss out the rules about symmetry. As long as you've portrayed yourself inside of a circle, using symbolic things, you've done it!

I hope this means you're joining in, Elen! Do you have a muffin request? I'm already doing a chocolate batch for Elaine...

Rosemary

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Ireland

If the symmetry is not essential,I might give it a try ! I`m not a symmetrycal person,LOL
Mmm... muffins... very tempting! Can you make some not so harmfull for the figure,as chocolate ones ? (This is quite incomprehensible,by the way,why there`s a lot of delicious things appear in the house just when I am on a diet... )
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 08:40 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elen
If the symmetry is not essential,I might give it a try ! I`m not a symmetrycal person,LOL
Mmm... muffins... very tempting! Can you make some not so harmfull for the figure,as chocolate ones ? (This is quite incomprehensible,by the way,why there`s a lot of delicious things appear in the house just when I am on a diet... )

hmmm... well, seeing as how they're really just *symbolic* muffins I don't think you'd be breaking your diet! But, what about oatmeal, sunflower seeds, and raisins? Nice whole grains, a little sweet, a little bit of crunch... tempted?

And since I'm going to be participating, and to keep it fair, I'll be staying away from doing too much knotwork.
Rosemary

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Ireland

YES,yes,yes, please ! I am in !
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 09:28 PM
PA

Hails from United States

I'm going to use my brand new Lrya's for this. Good project to get to know them and see what they can do.
And Elen, I think I'm going fairly small (for me) 9x12 (22.9x30.5 cm) or 8x10 inches, to keep it manageable.

Save