WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2008, 11:34 AM
WC! Guide

Re: Scavenger Hunt #86 May 17-May 25

I'm glad everyone likes the looseness of the list.

Cairo that scene is beautiful. Funny that trees would grow in salt water. That I would never have imagined. I love the ship wreck photo. Can't wait to see what you do with it. I thought Egypt was a desert place. I've never seen so much water. Nice to see what I never knew about a place.

Jamie nice apple. Makes me want to take a bite.

EP you forever amaze me. I love what you did with the rock, paper, scissors. I got a good laugh first thing when I saw it. Better watch that papa bear doesn't slip around behind and find you in your new walkway.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

J - thank you

Next set:
5. Silver is element 47 and Gold is element 79 in the Periodic Table of Elements.
6. Thick and Thin
7. In your face
8. Breakfast

Cheers,
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2008, 12:17 PM
WC! Guide

Well EP I guess I didn't slow you down at all. Good job. I recognize that face.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2008, 01:29 PM
WC! Guide

I was in a virtual sketch date with 9 other artists this week. Jeanette at Illustrated Life provided the photo that each of us drew. It was a photo of her 3 legged cat Tripod. You can see the list of names of participants on my blog.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2008, 01:39 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Jeanne - What a fun list!!! I looked for it yesterday morning, but you didn't have it posted yet!! I'll have to get busy.

Cairo - Your mangrove trees and reef are beautiful!!! Wonderful colors and a beautiful view. It reminds me of the beaches of the Florida Keys with the mangroves growning in the shallow water.

Jaime - Lovely simple composition for the apple! The peel is glowing and I love the red reflection.

EP - Love your rock, paper, scissors!! Great combo for animal, vegetable and mineral and your fish and fowl. Nice pick for thick/thin. Your "in your face" made me laugh!! I think this list is perfect for you.

Hopefully I'll get some sketches done this afternoon before I have to go to a reception at a gallery here. I have 2 watercolors on exhibit with a local art group I belong to. Happy sketching!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 01:33 AM
WC! Guide

Well I finally got to my list.

#1 beginning (licorice)
#2 final (end of licorice)
#3 delicate (feather from my bird Freebie)
#4 massive (my legs)
#5 silver and gold
#6 backward (my little "speak no evil" figurine. I have them all 3 facing backwards on the desk)
Attached Images

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 01:36 AM
WC! Guide

Wow that picture of my legs makes me look thin. But don't be fooled, I'm not.

#7 long (sleeves)
#8 fish & fowl
#9 limp
#10 high (this wooden hippo sits up high on the top shelf over my desk)
Attached Images

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 02:58 AM
Enthusiast
!reland

Hails from Ireland

Thanks to everyone for such a nice response to my post! The shipwreck is called the Maria Schroeder, and happened in 1965.It was one of dozens in this area, but one of the few that you can access from shore. This area is famous for it's coral reefs, so sailing can be quite treacherous- lots of sharks in the water too (eek! ).
I painted another shipwreck over a year ago (really not a great painting but I learned a lot form it...and it was the reason that I decided to join the scavenger hunts and paint/draw form life!! ) http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...ight=shipwreck

Jamie- Thanks!! I love your apple...so simple and yet so effective! It looks great on the red, especially with the little bit of reflected colour.
I am slowly building up my plein air confidence, so have been practising with a big sketchbook, big brushes and a tiny set of watercolours. I feel more relaxed this way-more inclined to splash paint, experiment a little- and less of the pressure to produce a "piece of art". This shipwreck has me itching to set up my easel and canvas. I'm just waiting for a day without a lot of wind...it's quite an exposed area, and I am certainly not wading in too deep to rescue my art equipment should it blow out to sea!!

Thanks Azul! I'm glad your hubby liked the photo! It he wants, I can upload it to the reference library so that you can download a bigger version. Just let me know.

EP-Hehe, maybe those bears can be your "distant "sketch...very very distant!!
You have been very productive! I love your rock,paper,scissors one, and the monkey (cute!) That's a healthy breakfast. Are you sticking your tongue out at us??

Joan-thanks.

Jeanne- To be honest,before I came to Egypt, I thought the same thing...deserts, camels, pyramids etc. Egypt is lucky to have two seas, and the Suez canal to connect them. Cairo is landbound- 2hours to the Mediterranean coast, and one hour to the Red Sea. At the moment, I live in Sharm el Sheikh, which is right at the tip of the Sinai peninsula (and where George Bush&co is at the moment too). We are surrounded by sea and mountainous desert. We're closer to Saudi and Jordan than we are to Egypt.
Clever you to think of silver and gold pencils...I have been scratching my head over that one! Your legs aren't massive! Yum, licorice...save me a piece!! Why are your figurines backward? Didn't you have a dish/platter with fish and fowl on it? I remember struggling with that one before!

Okay, off to do some more sketching!!
Cairo
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 03:47 AM
Pacific NW

Hails from United States

Hi, everyone!

I just printed out this list. (Yes, another one. At least my printer has been busy!) We'll see what gets done.

EP - what kind of bears are in your neighborhood? Just curious. Grizzlies scare me, but I can't really say I'd want to come face to face with any bears, really. I like your pen drawings. I haven't seen a period table in years. Good choice for the gold and silver.

Cairo - I like your mango trees in the shallow water. Very pretty there. The shipwreck looks fascinating. Have you been up close to it?

Jamie - beautiful granny smith apple. Looks good enough to eat. (I love apples.) I especially like the red reflection.

Jeanne - Cool list. I like things that are up to interpretation. Sometimes I can't find really specific items around to draw, especially if I'm out and about, although I do usually enjoy that challenge as well. I thought your comment on the drawing of the "massive" legs about the colors was interesting. I had a drinking straw at a restaurant today that had a stripe of each of those two colors on it today. How odd.

Sorry if I have neglected anyone on comments here. I got to the end of my reference page here and I can't recall the other page well enough for comments.

I like the thinkin' to be done here. At least I know I'll get that part done. Now, to get thinkin' with a pencil in hand.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 04:40 AM
WC! Guide

Cairo the 3 little figures are sitting on the base of my monitor. If they sit facing me, they get knocked around. So I faced the the other way so they would be safer. I didn't have a fish and fowl plate. I would like to see a larger photo of the shipwreck. Thanks.

Popcorn when you think, you have to have your sketching supplies handy.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Tallahassee, FL

Hails from United States

help!
i'm new to all of this, and i am having trouble scanning my images! any tips on how to get watercolor pencil to be picked up by a scanner?

also, if i do get these things up at all, they will be under the last scavenger hunt... please take a minute to look back and comment, since this whill be my first 'exhibit'
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Jeanne - hehee But I see that you have caught up and passed me. I also wondered why your figures face away from you. Do they share a keen interest in reading web pages? I like red licorice much better than black licorice. Your rubber ducky has a funny expression like he's a bit angry? Your fish looks guilty and/or sad A hippo! More creatures!! About the trees growing in salt water - the first place I saw that was in Florida, in Key West.
Joan - thank you
Cairo - thank you. I think that if I did have my sketch stuff and there was a bear that sketching is the last thing I'd be thinking of doing...
DP - Thank you. They are black bears. They have been wandering through several neighbourhoods this weekend. Maybe they follow the smell of long weekend BBQs. As Jeanne says, have a pencil and sketchpad in hand when you do yer thinkin'.
LClifford - welcome! Sorry I don't know much about tuning a scanner. Joan might have an idea since she works in watercolours. I'll check for your sketches on hunt 85.

Cheers,
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 12:50 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Jeanne - Good group of sketches!Love the backward facing figurine. Nice delicate feather. Good idea with the licorice, but your legs are not "massive." Good thinking for long sleeves and the limp cable wire! Love your high up hippo...cute! Excellent job on your colorful fish and fowl.

Cairo - You did a nice job on the original shipwreck. Hope you get to do it again. Make sure you pick a day that won't make you chase your supplies out at sea.

LClifford - Wish I could offer advice but I never use a scanner so I can't help there. I always take digital photos and upload those.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 12:57 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

1 - close - ink & Inktense pencils

2 - thick and thin - watercolor (Last night's grilled steak)

3 - fish and fowl - Inktense pencils

4 - Challenge 4 - something I would use to celebrate a birthday - Ink and Inktense pencils

5 - delicate - watercolors - white lilacs (about 2 hrs)
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Cairo - Mangroves are beautiful. Love the wreck photo!! Your wreck painting is gorgeous!!! Are you going to do the one in the photo as well??
Jamie - Excellent apple! Especially the red reflections.
EP - This thinking stuff was suppose to slow you down!! As always great line work! Love 'in your face' the best!!!
Jeanne - Good thinking!!! Would not have thought of any of those ideas ( maybe the pencils. )
LClifford - Welcome!! Nice sketches. Look forward to more.
Joan T - Nice work. Love Close!! Lilacs are beautiful!

#1 - Animal vegetable and mineral - No animals so I substituted a teddy bear with a tomato and crystal about 40 min in .7mm B and 2mm HB

#2 Something porous - kitchen strainer 10 min .7mm B

Joe