WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2007, 12:24 PM
WC! Guide

Re: Scavenger Hunt #30 Feb 21 - Mar 1

Anita I use the sketchbook with the thicker pages and have put water on with a waterbrush and watercolor pencils. I haven't found any problem but I usually get what I want with just a little water. I don't usually go over any of the colors a second time.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2007, 10:24 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
South-East Queensland

Hails from Australia

Love what everyone is doing.

It seems that tabasco is universal .

Laurel, I have the same problem with my dogs - they lie like lounge lizards until I pick up a camera or pencil & pad, then they head for the hills - sometimes I think I'll have to nail them to the spot ( just kidding! ) or take up speed sketching!!

Well here's the latest quick ones #4 dictionary & #5 thumb pointing at me

Sue

Laughter is the sound of the human soul springing a leak.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2007, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member
Alaska

Hails from United States

Thank you all for the nice comments on my pencil shavings.

Sue – I just love those magic pencils of yours. Your falling water and thumb look so neat in the many colors. I really like the angle you chose for your dictionary.

Jeanne – The numbers on your paper money are just beautiful. I’m still building up my courage to tackle that item. Love the arrangement of carrots and celery in the glass. The label on your spice jar is wonderful.

Yayamama – I love the detail in your money, and the way you let it just fade out.

Laurel – Your drawings always look so smooth and finished. Fantastic work on the thumbs/hands. Awww, sweet cat sketches. You’ve done a great job of catching all those different feline poses.

Pelardon – Your spicy sauce is gorgeous. I love the warm colors in the cool background.

Monica – Glad to see you got in on the hunt. That is such a neat rock. It looks like it would fall over in a breeze.

Azul – Great set of sketches. I think the teeth are my favorite, but the unrelated still life is super, too.

Here are a few more from me.
#5 Glob of mustard (more like a drip ) on beans and cornbread. Watercolor and Nexus pens, 15 minutes.

#6 Inside of my medicine cabinet - pencil, 15-20 minutes? I kept getting interrupted.

#6 What I keep fruit in - sadly empty at the moment. This bowl is far less blurry in real life. Watercolor, 10 minutes.

Danae
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2007, 06:34 AM
WC! Guide

Laurel what do you use for your sketches? What kind of pencil? They look so smooth.

Monica nice landscape and more history of your town. I like those little bits of information.

Azul brave to do all those teeth. I started to do just one but it looked funny all alone. Great still life. Wasn't it fun trying to choose what to include in the still life?

Sue good job on the dictionary. Nice that your are getting more use of your rainbow pencil.

Danae you eat mustard on your beans and cornbread? Never heard of that before. Beans and cornbread are pretty much my favorite meal. Good thing too as when I was a child, that was pretty much a staple in our house. I plan to do a crop of my medicine cabinet. Don't even want to try to do it all.

I did one drawing tonight but it is late and I have to get up early. I will post it tomorrow. I worked on Bible study questions tonight so just did the one. I am so glad we had more hosts signed up. Until tomorrow.....
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

gilligan1977: Love your rocks.

azulparsnip: Your face with teeth is wonderful.

Sue: Good idea to draw the dictionary open ... I didn't think of that. Good job on the perspective.

Danae: Your bowl is beautiful. I love the colors. Great job on the medicine cabinet ... good job on the perspective.

Jeanne: I use a Pentel mechanical pencil or Prismacolor Turquoise pencils, ususally HB through 5B. I also use a kneaded eraser and tortillions.

#5 Dictionary
#6 Baby Teeth. Teeth outside of the mouth sure do look funny.

Laurel

Last edited by lneustadter : 02-27-2007 at 07:54 AM.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Immortalized
north carolina

Thank you all for the kind encouragement.

Gilli - nice sketch on an interesting geological phenomena

J - yes, I really did enjoy picking out 3 unrelated objects, this list has a good & unusual approach to item selection - like the happy/ sad connection ......creative

Sue - the color on the hand is so wonderful

Danae - that blob of mustart is beautifully shaded

Laurel - that dictionary is great - the spacing on the finger tabs is great, I like the way you got the texture and the highlight on the cover

I gotta go to the laundry mat this morning.......later ya'll
http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2007, 08:20 PM
WC! Guide

#14 something that makes me laugh...my bird Bozo

#15 landscape...ACEO done looking out the window at work.

Last edited by "J" : 02-27-2007 at 08:25 PM.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Immortalized
north carolina

I bet that bird can be a riot - sometimes they have a funny way and when you laugh they love it.

I like your birds on the wire. They make it into a really nice composition.

Here's something that makes me laugh - it is a card my daughter sent me a couple of years ago. I keep on my clip board. It still makes me laugh. If you can't read it --it says WHO LEFT THESE RAISINS ON THE CARP.....HEY! THESE AREN'T RAISINS
Attached Images

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2007, 06:55 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
South-East Queensland

Hails from Australia

Danae, love your mustard & beans

Laurel, you are brave doing the cover

Jeanne, love your cute plump cackatiel they do the funniest things don't they - ours used to love being laughed at too & would play up even more

Azul, naughty bunnies ! Made me smile .

Here's my next couple - #7 something that smells nice - who can resist any cooking with allspice in it? #8 something that goes with a hot chocolate/tea, a scone:

something happened to the scones in translation across the ether .

Sue

Laughter is the sound of the human soul springing a leak.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2007, 12:46 PM
A Local Legend
Living on the Island....

Hails from Canada

hmmmm how many hunts will I be behind in by tomorrow?

Looking good here folks!!!
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member
Alaska

Hails from United States

Jeanne, I hated mustard until a couple years ago, and now I put it on everything. It really adds zing to the beans without making them hot (I am not a big spicy food eater.) I always love your Bozo sketches. The birds on the wire aceo is great. I don’t know how you’ve managed to make them look so birdlike at that tiny size! The one on the far left even seems to be preening.

Thank you Laurel – Your dictionary is so well done. I love the little indents. You’ve got the smooth tooth texture perfectly.

Thanks Azul. That bunny card is too funny!

Thanks, Sue. Mmm, I agree allspice is wonderful, and you did a super job on the jar. I really like the highlights on the lid.

Hi, Charne. Sorry you missed this hunt. I hope you'll get a chance to join in the next one.

#8 Coffee grounds - When I asked my mom if she could tell what this was, she stared at it for a long time, and came up with "a teabag!" so I figure it needs some explaining. I set the dried up crumpled filter in front of me, so the view is kind of looking into this little coffee cave. 2.5x5 inches, watercolor, 15 minutes.

#9 Dictionary - pencil, 5 minutes

#10 Sugar in spoon, #11 Something that smells nice - ginger, #12 My favorite spice - coriander, and #13 Something that goes with coffeee and hot chocolate - cinnamon - Pencil, 30 minutes.

#14 A landscape - aspens outside the window lit by the sunset - 5x7, watercolor, 30 minutes?

Danae
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 05:28 AM
WC! Guide

azul the card is cute and colorful

Sue I love cinnamon raisin scones. Good job.

Danae I can't even imagine beans with mustard. Will have to try it. Do you mix it in? I always add a teaspoon of sugar to cooking beans. Something my aunt always did. I finally had some beans tonight but was too hungry to wait for cornbread. Also hubby is off carbs and I was afraid it would tempt him too much. Really like your landscape. You do those so nicely.

I started to use my used coffee filter also, but it is cone shaped and would't lay on the plate without turning over. So I just scooped some out and put on the plate with everything else. The dogs all gathered round thinking I was getting ready to eat again. They don't want to miss any food.

Bozo is always a good subject but those last ones weren't too good. She kept moving. Usually she stays put long enough to get her. She is lots easier to draw than the dogs.

Here is a bunch from me. I was behind and thought I would catch up and finish most of them.

#16 thesaurus
#17 beans
#18 cooked potatoes
#19 sugar granules
#20 coffee grounds
#21 catsup, mustard, and mayonnaise which completes a challenge
#22 juice (orange and lemon)
#23 something that makes me sad (bills to pay)
#24 something that smells good (cologne)

Thanks everyone for "hunting" with me.

Last edited by "J" : 03-01-2007 at 05:33 AM.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Alaska

Hails from United States

Thank you Jeanne. I mix the mustard right in with refried beans or seasoned up bean paste made from dried bean flakes, but I just squirt it on top of regular beans. (How many times did I write beans in that sentence? ) Hmmm, I've never tried cooking beans with sugar before. Does it change the flavor?

The image of the dogs gathering around while you sketched is so cute. I am sure it was a big disappointment to them to find out it was just coffee grounds and condiments. I like the way you arranged it all on the plate. The orange is my favorite in this set - especially the wrinkled peel around the end.

This was a great list. I wish I could have gotten more done from it. I'm hoping to still get a few in tomorrow.

I'm going to post the new list now, since I don't usually get online until evening.

Danae
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 07:04 AM
WC! Guide

Yes the sugar does change the taste of the beans but not a lot. Just enhances them. Try adding just a touch to a bowl full. That way you won't waste a whole pot if you don't like it. Too much and it doesn't taste good. But if you add more salt, it should cut the sugar taste.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Immortalized
north carolina

Danae - your sketches and watercolor landscape is lovely -

Jeanne - does Bozo like when you sketch him/her. Does he go to preening or posturing? you really hustled

Here are three more for me and maybe I can get three more tonight.

#8 something that smells good - pineneedles

#9 makes me sad - world hunger

#10 fruit "basket"
Attached Images