WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2006, 10:43 PM
ottawa

Hails from Canada
Re: Carousel Animal Project!

What a great start you've made with your zebra horse I can't wait to see how it goes!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2006, 01:12 AM
Lord of the Arts
Midway, TX

Hails from United States

Hi Ethel! Welcome aboard! I like the start you have with the Zebra. I can understand why you liked the background with the mirror & lights. You know, all those shiny objects we artists tend to like.

However, I can see the complexity of it too. Silly lady, 10" x 10", a complex picture, and you thought it would be a quick one?! BUT, you ARE doing a great job on it! You're really capturing his face beautifully and you have a nice start on that mirror! Keep it up girl, you're getting there! BTW, is that white MT paper you're using? I love MT, but it depends on what I'm drawing. Please don't stop! This is definitely NOT beyond you!!

Jack - You've got a great start going too! The hard part is that the photo I took doesn't have a whole lot of values in it. Sorry about that. He's looking so good and in such a short amount of time! I feel like such a slacker around you guys!

I was going to do mine on black stonehenge but I've decided to use white Fabriano paper instead and do a funky splatter background. I don't know what to suggest for your background. When I use black paper, I tend to leave the background blank. Oh, and I'm going to post your ref photo for you so people know what you're working from.

Great work everyone!! I guess I'd better get on the ball, huh?

Reflections From Life Fine Art
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2006, 12:17 PM

Hi all! Too Cool!! Hope to jump in on this one. Been on vacation for two weeks and have not finished the white project yet, but would really like to do this one. JO- Great start, looking really good! Jack-you really have a good start-keep pushing the values! Ethel-Really like this one too!! Keep going. Nancy-really like your reference too! And Scotts will probably be absolutely wonderful--Love his Carousel Horses!!!!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2006, 04:40 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Scotland

Hails from Canada

Jo- This looks great, the bridle really shines.

Jack- The colours look good. I think you are on the right track, nothing stopping you from doing another one though. They are a lot of fun to draw.

Ethel- The background looks good so far. Really like the reflections you have on the zebra.

Finished the line art for mine. Drawn from my head, hence the poor horse anatomy Just have to transfer it onto different paper. Probably not going to do a background but that might change.

If it looks too busy or not busy enough in certain places let me know. Scanned a little crooked now that I look at it, and not sure if I will keep the pole in the final, the bottom of it needs to end a little lower then where it is at the moment.

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Arizona

Hails from United States

I thank y'all for the positive comments. With them in mind and reminding myself that I was dealing with a painted wooden critter, and not real fur, or flesh I changed my approach to the subject. In my wild life paintings I have been working on form, and depth to get away from that flat illustration look. There is some great work being done flat, but ever since I started studing the work of Robert Bateman the famous wild life artist. I have been striving to give my work depth.

I blocked in the start of the background with Prismacolor Art Stixs. This is my first wash on background. I love the way ultra blue looks on black, and makes the orange in the peice pop.

Got a bunch more to do, and will let you young eyes be the judge of how I am doing.

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Arizona

Hails from United States

Faula, "Drawn from my head, hence the poor horse anatomy "

Bet ya got a cute head..

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Newton, Ia

Hails from United States

Hi All,

I've decided to join in this one. I've been wanting to do one of the CP projects. I've been hanging in Drawing lately and I'm dying for some color in my life at the moment.

Jack I can't believe how quickly you did your picture and it looks great.

I start back to work tomorrow so I will only be able to work on this during the evenings. Here is the picture I've chosen, I love the bright lights too.
Attached Images

Last edited by danna23 : 08-20-2006 at 07:19 PM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 03:32 AM
Honolulu, Hawaii

Hails from Costa Rica

Aloha everybody,
It has been a busy weekend with lots of running around preparing for the start of school for my kids and myself...so nothing new to report but thanks so much roogrew, NancyPH, kathyann, faula, danna23 for the sweet comments about the zebra

I was truly silly and thought it might not be as involved but ....here we are...

prospector I love how you modified the background!! The horse face is so full of life!!! And I really like your reflections on the saddles! I just hope my eyes serve that well when I am 73!

Jomitzi I so envy the purity of your lines...the drawing looks so crisp and vibrant!!! How do you do that!

faula That is such a happy carousel horse, it looks on the go!!! the feathers on the head and the reins will be fun to do. It looks like a lot of fun ( and work )! Nice job!!!
Hope to see more of your work soon!
Ethel
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
North Wales

Hails from Wales

Hi Ethel
I get my lines crisp by doing all the drawing on a rough piece first then transfering it to Stonehenge using carbon paper so I only put in the lines I want. I usually use the grid method when drawing out as it is not my strongest skill. so there is usually a lot of rubbing out and tweaking.
Hope to get a bit more done on this today, its really exciting.
Jo
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Lord of the Arts
Midway, TX

Hails from United States

Faula -Wwow! Love your composition! Great little pony & coming straight out of your head too. Can't wait to see him in color.

Jack - You're doing wonderful on your horse! He's really coming along beautifully!

Dana - Nice ref photo! Should be lots of fun to paint! Can't wait to see it.

Well, I've been messing around with my background idea, which BTW was a bust. Splattering didn't work the way I had hoped. Now I I'm going to try pastels. I'm going to complete my sketch tonight and hopefully get to show you it tomorrow.

Reflections From Life Fine Art
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
North Wales

Hails from Wales

Wow, I am loving this thread, so much excellent work and great ideas coming out here. Cant wait to see Faulas piece in colour, the drawing is great.
I have worked my attempt a bit more. The Pablos mean I have to work in a totally different way but I am liking them and the end result looks ok.
Anyway, still a bit to go but I will do a bit more later.
Jo
Attached Images

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 03:27 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada

The reference photo is from the RIL uploaded by stephie20.
Support: Stonehenge – White
Colored Pencils: Prismacolor
Size: 7 X 10

The first photograph is the reference photo before I changed it, the second photograph is after I made some changes to the background and the third is my progress so far. I’m not looking for realism and I’m playing with colors on this which I’m realizing is a lot more fun.
Attached Images

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast
East coast of Virginia

Hails from United States

These are all great..and fast I just got the outline finished last night. On mine....I've combined about 5 different photos and alot from my imagination. Most of the photo's I took myself. I should have something to show within the week. I know, I'm a slow worker. I have a lot going own at home (two small kids...enough said to get anything posted before that. Anyways...I have two working titles so far...Celestrial Dreams or Desert Moon. There will be alot of blues and golds in mine.
Scott

Last edited by pinkrybns : 03-30-2012 at 06:22 AM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Arizona

Hails from United States

Some great work being done on this project, I think all that have been posted are great. I am almost ashamed to post my piece on the same page.

Here are the relsults of my last session. Doing the BG by the seat of my pants. I put the bar with bulbs on it to break up all the virtical lines leading yer eye out of the pict. Just started blocking in poles. a few more layers, and scumbles on BG. I think horse is about as good as I can do at my persent level of skill with CPs. Having so much fun may do another one when this is finnished, any rules against doing two?

If Y'all see any thing I could improve give me a hollar. I am here to learn.

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
North Wales

Hails from Wales

I think it looks great Jack, the blue really pulls it together.
Jo