WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 01:33 AM
Mansfield, Texas

Hails from United States
Framing CP art

Over the last 25 years, I've been a commercial freelance illustrator/graphic designer mostly doing ad agency work. I've never really sold my art any other way. I am now thinking about producing some CP art to sell as a sideline. I've been in the commercial end of art for so long, the fine artist in me is wanting to quench that thirst to be more creative on my own terms.

To those of you who show and sell your work at galleries, restaurants, banks and such, I have a question. Do you have a mat and/or frame on all your works? I've scoured this WC site and haven't seen much on this subject or maybe I haven't visited the right forums about this subject. Am I safe in assuming that most works are matted, framed with glass? I'd like to know what some of you do when it comes to framing your art.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Lord of the Arts
Temple, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Framing CP art

Hi there fellow Texan,

I go nice and simple normally matting and framing everything. The mats are usually a neutral color or white, single or double matted, and the frames are also very simple--black, silver or gold metal, depending on the piece. I don't like fancy frames because I feel it takes too much away from the artwork.

Commission work is not framed but I like to mat it giving it a bit more 'finished' look.

Welcome to the CP forum and we look forward to seeing your work and sharing your expertise!!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Immortalized
Virginia

Hails from United States

Since I'm never sure where my works will be called on to appear, I frame very conservatively. White mats and black frames, under glass, for everything, except for the works on black, that get black mats.

Since I frequently swap my works out of their frames and because I can't afford to frame upwards of 40 or 50 works a year professionally, I've started using those little scrapbook corner sticky things to attach them to the mats. Do you know what I mean? They're little triangles of vinyl/plastic/space age stuff that stick onto the mat and then normally you would tuck the corners of a photograph into them to hold it in place. Only I use it to tuck my artwork into. And they're acid-free, so they won't hurt my art work -- and no adhesive touches my art, either.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Mansfield, Texas

Hails from United States

It is interesting and coincidental that Leslie (Texan) and Maggie (Virginian) were the first people to reply to my framing question. First, I am a Texan, but I was born in Fort Lee, Virginia. My dad was in the military for a very short time there.

Thanks for your replies. I like the conservative and simple look when it comes to framing. It should be cheaper to go that way, too. You are right about it taking too much away from the art itself. Maggie, I like the idea of those triangle stickies.

I saw something interesting at the Hue Gallery here in Mansfield. A local artist had used what appeared to be some thick, black foam frame to put his small conte illustrations in. I need to ask the gallery how it was done. There was no mat, just the frame itself with no glass. I will see if I can get a photo of it.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Enthusiast
Cape Coral, Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper2
I've started using those little scrapbook corner sticky things to attach them to the mats. Do you know what I mean? They're little triangles of vinyl/plastic/space age stuff that stick onto the mat and then normally you would tuck the corners of a photograph into them to hold it in place. Only I use it to tuck my artwork into. And they're acid-free, so they won't hurt my art work -- and no adhesive touches my art, either.

Good tip, Maggie! That sounds like it's a lot neater, professional looking and a lot less wasteful than using tape all the way around the matt which is what I've been doing! (Lucky for me I've only done gifts for family members so far...so it doesn't matter how messy I attach the matt!) I'll keep this tip in mind! Thanks!

Jenna
My website and My blog and My Facebook Page
"The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize." Robert Hughes
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Immortalized
Virginia

Hails from United States

Jenna, it almost seems like cheating -- it's probably some big framing no no in some way or another because it's so easy and cheap and seemingly not harmful. There HAS to be a catch!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Enthusiast
Cape Coral, Florida

Hails from United States

Either that, or you've come up with a big shortcut for artists and will be famous for it in years to come!

Jenna
My website and My blog and My Facebook Page
"The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize." Robert Hughes
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Mansfield, Texas

Hails from United States

Maggie, are you getting those triangle stickies from Dick Blick? Do they have them at Michael's or other art suppliers?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 03:50 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Scotland

Hails from Canada

I bought mine at wal-mart, they are pretty much everywhere.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Mansfield, Texas

Hails from United States

Cool, our family spends half of our paychecks there every month anyway. I believe it is a second mortgage. I'm going right after work.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 09:10 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I used to mat my commissions, but just stopped doing it because it's so much easier and cheaper to mail without and most of mine are mailed, even if they are local. I will do it for more $$ if requested.

For shows I mat and frame. I get all my mats custom cut. I like being able to pick out a shade that is exactly right for the piece. My local frame shop is as inexpensive as a craft store for mats, and I like patronizing my local place, anyway (plus they display my cards!)

I believe there's an excellent article in the cp library about matting and framing. Worth a look.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 09:30 PM
SOUTHEAST COAST

Hails from United States

Most of mine goes to WAL-MART too.
I like Maggie's idea also.
I don't normally visit this forum.
I happened to run across this Thread when I was posting my first thread in the forum.
I just so happen to make my own frames and do all my matting myself.
I also do custom Framing at a much lower price than all of the big boys,although I don't know how it would work if you added shipping.
I'm with everyone else on the fact that you can have too much of a frame for the art.
Here's a couple of frames I make for $50.00 and above, according to size.

All of my prints are matted with art paper behind the print using double-side sticky tape but my prints are are 100% cotton paper.
I have done some photos this way with no problem (matte paper only).
I also have frames painted semi-gloss black and can do other colors.
These sell for $40 and up.
Good luck!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Hiking and Biking around San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

I mat many of my CP works, but not all. I usually look for acid-free materials, including mat tape (or art tape) and the mat. I often order my mats pre-cut, but plan on doing my own soon. I only frame when I plan to enter a piece into a show that requires framing. And I, too, swap pictures and frames if they don't sell in a show. I just don't have the room to store a bunch of framed drawings.

I would highly recommend plexi-glass and not regular glass for framing. Most of the shows I enter require it. I've used styrene in a pinch, but it doesn't quite have the right look. Another reason for not using glass has to do with breakage during shipping if you plan to sell online or show out of you area.

When I sell over the internet, I usually only mat them. It helps with keeping them neat and orderly. It also saves on the shipping costs and allows the buyer to chose his or her own frame.

Blog , Hubpages My New Bird Blog
Canon Digital Rebel T3, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Gimp, and PE 2.0
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Immortalized
Virginia

Hails from United States

I get my triangles at Michael's, I think. Or Walmart. One of those gigantic corporate megolithic companies.

I can't find plexiglass locally! And darn it if I didn't already break one glass this show season.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Hiking and Biking around San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

You might have to order plexi-glass online at a company like Blick's. Sometimes, they have frames with plexi-glass already in it.

Blog , Hubpages My New Bird Blog
Canon Digital Rebel T3, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Gimp, and PE 2.0