WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Upper Bavaria / Germany

Hails from Germany
Trees and bushes DEMO

Hi all,

here is the Demo about how i do foilage that has been asked for. I hope it is helpful for somebody.

I took a lot of photos and tried to put them together so you could see every step. This is in no way a refined work, only a demo to show you the process, for a finished piece one would have to work more carefull to fill up specks and so on but you know that yourself. The drawing is about 5 x 4 cm in size (pretty small okay but the technique is the same for larger work) Okay here we go.....

a) i put in a rough outline first to decide what the trees and bushes should look like and think about where the light is going to come from

b) with a light green (limepeel in this case) i put in the first layer with a scribbling motion making broken circles and swirling movements (no hatching, would not work with the angles you get from that) I am careful to let some holes in the tree (you know the ones for the birds ) and put in a bit of trunk and branch here and there. The left (our) tree has a fairly light bark so that bits do not show up to much in the small photo.

c) did the same base layer of light color (Chartreuse for that one) on the other tree and put in the branches.

d) further on with the left bush and its lightest color (spring green) as that one would be in the shade of the tree above the lightest color is darker

e) and the lightest color for the last bush (celadon green) to make one with a more greyish green

You can see everything is quite rough now, lots of paper showing through but the outside shapes are pretty much defined now.

f) i felt something was missing on the left and so i put in another bush there (apple green) and i added the baselayer of cloud blue for the sky to define where the holes in the tree are (put blue between the green where i left free space in the first layer of light green)

h) here i start to refine the form, with the light color (limepeel here) i go back in and define where the shadows would fall in this tree (sun is supposed to be left upper corner)

i) you can see the left tree is ready... i took a matching darker green (Marine green as that one is a bit to the dull side) and darkend the shadows a bit. Still i use a broken scribble movement to put them in and a very sharp pencils, trying to avoid straight strokes, every stroke should have a curve. I also darkened the trunk and branches a bit to make them show up.

did the same to the right tree, first going back in with the chartreuse to work out the shadows further, then darken them with applegreen (one could go further on and add maybe olive green to the shadows to make them still darker)

j) you can not see much differnce in this photo but i took a light yellow color (cream for the left, deco yellow for the right) and gone over the lightest parts of the tree where the sun strikes most to highlight a bit there.

k) now downwards to the bushes... mostly the same technique here, broke scribble movements and first defining the shadow areas with another layer of light color, then a matching dark color to darken further.

l) put in an even darker green for the shadows on the bush as it would collect more shadow then the tree would. And again go over the lighter parts with the base color and a yellow.

this is the end... i worked out the last bush with the same technique but with greens on the greyish/blueish side. I did different combinations of greens on each tree to show the possibilies of creating different varieties of trees with differnt color and shape. I could go on and on for another 2 h on this little thingy to make it more refined and looking even more realistic but i feel, that the basics is all i need to explain, about layering and refining and adding detail and again detail you know already. The only thing really important with this technique is not to make straight strokes, keep it all scribbly curved and think about where the light and shadow would fall to define the shape. And most of all .... look at trees outside very closely to see how dark shadows really are in differnt light and how light the highlights.

Hope this helps and if you have any question or would like to try yourself and show to ask questions about your work, just holler... i'll try my best to explain further.

Oh and if you want to see what it looks like when it is all refined and worked out look here : http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356658

Morgana

"What i am and do is due to the state of my mental development,
what others think of me is due to the state of their mental developement!"
Dieter Zeiner
My Website - Reference Image Library - My Photos - My blog
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
California

Hails from United States
Re: Trees and bushes DEMO

This has been a great demo. Thanks for doing this for us. It's funny, I'm looking at trees all the time to see why trees look like they do and how to paint them. Your demo has broken it all down into easy steps and it's now all clear to me. I'll be putting this one in my books.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Upper Bavaria / Germany

Hails from Germany

thank you for the comment aart, glad it was helpful to you.

Morgana

Dieter Zeiner
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2006, 08:45 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada

Great demo Morgana! Thank you! I will be adding it to my favorites for future reference for when I decide to draw something with foliage.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Upper Bavaria / Germany

Hails from Germany

Glad you find it helpful Janet, looking forward to seeing you do foilage (it is not as tedious a work as fur is )

Morgana

Dieter Zeiner
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2006, 07:34 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Great demo, Morgana!

Would you have some closer/detail shots you could post? Yeah, I'm one of those that like to stand 3 inches away from stuff in the museums... Wanna really *see* how the artist does it, y'know?

Tess

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Upper Bavaria / Germany

Hails from Germany

Tess,

I am the very same
I will do another piece of foilage for you, bigger, as the one i did for the demo is already close up, the original drawing (the final i am talking about) is smaller in real life. Just let me get done with covering up the coffeestains on my waterlily they bother me to much to be set aside.

Morgana

Dieter Zeiner
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2006, 09:15 AM
A WC! Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

This demo is excellent. Thanks so much for doing it Morgana. It is very helpful. I can't wait to try some trees.

I have rated this thread. If others have found it helpful, don't forget to rate it as well.

Anne
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2006, 01:02 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada

I think my next drawing will be my cat. I'll have to chase him around the house to get a good photograph of him or maybe taping him to something would work. Eventually I will venture into new realms but for now its going to be fur and more fur until I feel I've conquered it. My fur still looks clumpy and that means I still have a long way to go.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Swansea

Hails from Wales

Thanks for the excellent demo. I found it very helpful indeed.
Regards