WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States
Exploring Painter Brushes - cOlOrEd PeNciLs

Next we will explore the COLORED PENCILS brushes in Painter IX.
Colored Pencils
Colored Pencils interact with the canvas texture and unlike other dry media brush variants, apply strokes with even opacity, regardless of pressure. However, these brush variants do react to speed. For example, dragging quickly produces a thinner line; dragging slowly produces a thicker line. As with all pencil-style brush variants, Colored Pencil brush variants build to black as you draw over the same area of the image.

I have long thought of pencils, as drawing tools alone. It is wise to think of them not only as drawing tools, but versatile painting tools. Pencils are best suited for detail work. Applied loosely, they can also be used to sculpt, draw, and paint at any size. Pencils are often combined with other mediums and they suffer no restriction in this area, digitally. Real media pencils are comprised of pigment and binder. Binders can be waxy or dry and grainy in composition. The pencil is responsive to the surface, generally paper. And so it is with Painter IX. While it is helpful to elaborate on each variant, it is more meaningful to play and examine each variant as supplied on a variety of surfaces.

We will soon learn that each variant has a huge personality of its own. By changing the settings, each variant becomes a whole box of tools. Much like our experience with other Painter IX brushes, experimentation is the best learning tool.

Here, you can see one variant used, one color used, but different settings to achieve different results.

WARM UP EXERCISES:
1. doodle with all the brushes using the default setting. examine and compare the differences side by side. make comments if necessary to show how they differ.

2. use one brush and experiment with settings to find as many different variations you can create with one brush. experiment with each setting and make comments if you wish on the results you achieve.

POST these doodles and sketches here with your notes and comments. TRY to find ONE new discovery and talk about it. Plan to be surprised. If you are experienced in real media pencils, comment on similiarities and differences.

It is easy to think of pencils as drawing instruments. Try to think of COLORED PENCILS as paint brushes in this exercise.
Happy Doodling.

jerry

Last edited by PAKI : 10-27-2005 at 10:54 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Enthusiast
sydney australia

Hails from Australia
Talking Re: Exploring Painter Brushes - cOlOrEd PeNciLs

Thank you thank you thank you

NEWBIES CHECK THIS OUThttp://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330124
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2005, 11:21 PM
Enthusiast
sydney australia

Hails from Australia

my first play

Sorry I will lay it out better next time also i did not change the brush size at all

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2005, 11:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States
Re: Exploring Painter Brushes - cOlOrEd PeNciLs

Excellent Bev! Way to kick this thing off. I know we will learn a lot from each other's experimentation.

jerry
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2005, 11:46 PM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

I am already discoveriing the variety and diversity I can achieve with one tool and paper combination. I would not say it is unlimited...but the limits are going to be hard to reach in one session.
Some nice gradients can be achieved by playing with your settings.
Using a (back and forth) shading motion, a smooth even layer of color is built up. A very light touch can be used to deposit the faintest amount of pigment for graduated shading. Adjust your saturation and opacity settings. Working with this charcoal paper makes it easy to deposit color. I see the importance of working with the paper to create a life like appearance. The brush size was enlarged and worked well on my system. It responded well to my hand and arm movement. Very little wrist is used when shading. Most of the movement comes from the arm.

jerry

Last edited by PAKI : 10-27-2005 at 11:53 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2005, 12:15 AM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

I am able to create dots that resemble and airbrush spatter and a very sharp line with same brush. Shading control is largely settings, but I am able to use Wacom pad to my advantage for some soft transitions.

jerry
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2005, 12:25 AM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

These examples show that surface texture affects the brush. (NOTE; edges become slightly grainy and dark pixels show when image is compressed into jpg image. I will play with this to see if it is possible to eliminate this. I find this undesirable. I used and oily pencil variant and changed the surface texture settings. The most noticable difference is found along the edges with this brush.

jerry
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

I used Artist's Rough Paper as surface texture for this doodle/sketch. I am still surprised at some of the results I get when I push the settings to extreme. I set my brush to opacity of 1 and could not get a mark even after applying strokes for over a minute. At the 2% setting, I got an instant mark. Pushing the settings seems to reveal some unusual results, maybe software or hardware limitations.
The key to warming up in this exercise, is to just doodle and play. Try to come up with new expressions and push for unexpected results.

jerry
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2005, 01:41 AM
Enthusiast
sydney australia

Hails from Australia

Wow who would have thought these pencils were so wide ranging im sure surprised and would never have thought to do the things you have done

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2005, 02:33 AM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

Colored Pencil with Rough Artist Paper as a surface texture - both during creation of art and as an added texture at the end.
Used two settings for thickness of lines and varied colors. tighter cross-hatching done in face. LOTS of lines. Using colored pencils to paint takes patience when set at smaller and thinner settings.

jerry
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2005, 02:47 AM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

Here are some samples of the type of strokes you can use to assemble a picture. Using a variety brings interest to your picture.

jerry
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2005, 03:00 AM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

After you have finished warming up you can try your hand at this seascape. Post your doodles anytime you like so that you keep exploring and discovering the brushes. This is the only way you will get to know their properties and personality.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...54667&size=big
larger photo available here. Reference photo by weckster

Use the different kind of brush marks you have learned so far from warming up. Add comments to tell others how you approached your picture.

jerry
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2005, 03:33 AM
A Local Legend
West coast USA

Hails from United States

I like to use colored pencils for traditional art and notice that when you enlarge the digital pencils beyond pencil size they no longer look like cp's but more like watercolor or pastels.

Sony Nex6, Nikon P610, Sony WX300, SEL55/210, SEL3.5/30 Macro, SEL16/50, 1.8/50
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2005, 07:40 AM
A Local Legend
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

YAY....We're back in business!!! Thanks, Paki...
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2005, 08:24 AM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiers
I like to use colored pencils for traditional art and notice that when you enlarge the digital pencils beyond pencil size they no longer look like cp's but more like watercolor or pastels.
I agree with that observation. At some point. The digital can be pushed much further and you do not easily find the same results in traditional media. I believe that it is now a personal choice of what you wish to do.

jerry