WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2005, 12:29 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from Puerto Rico
Re: Painter's Brush Exploration-Watercolor

Paki - you are a naturally born teacher. You are really a MENTOR. Thanks for all your hard work and time spent with these brush exploriations.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2005, 12:45 PM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhercilia
Alba - I like this last version you posted very much.

Thank you Janet you know what I did I dried the layer then used just add water blender on some areas of it and I really like the deapth and definition it adds when you dry. ;o) LEARNING...LOL
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2005, 03:45 PM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Ok here is another quickie......I used the thick wet oils and set the Jitter to 0.34 to get the water effect and used the same brush with the saturation at 0 to blend. ;o)
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAlba
Ok here is another quickie......I used the thick wet oils and set the Jitter to 0.34 to get the water effect and used the same brush with the saturation at 0 to blend. ;o)
This is terrific. I think this is a good example of how creative use of brushes can give you desired effect, regardless of the name of the brush.

jerry
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2005, 09:09 PM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Thank you PAKI! ;o)
Used the Wet Acrylic #20 this time set the Jitter to 10 ... left the sketch and used the sharpen after finishing. ;o)

#66   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

Marge, you are so prolific these days. You are really putting lots of nice work.

jerry
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2005, 11:44 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Santiago, Chile

Hails from Chile

Wow! paki! your pieces show you have a lot of experience with watercolor! Thanks a lot for this thread, it is superb!
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2005, 02:17 AM

Hails from United States

You are all doing so well, I am still struggling with Painter, but learning alot and feeling a lot better about it. I've only had this program for about 10 years, but thanks to Paki, I'm finally learning.
I took you really literally, and thought we were only using the watercolor brushes. I used various watercolor brushes at low opacity. After reading some of your explanations, I decided to go back in with a black felt tip marker, then wet it with simple water. Like Paki said earlier, being trained in traditional watercolor, I can't bring myself to use white or black, but normally mix complementary colors to make shadows. The purple shadow is a bit light, but I like it better than a heavy black one.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2005, 02:52 AM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

The effort and results here is nothing short of amazing. I am learning from each one of your efforts and a little of my own. Thanks all for your kindness, friendship, and hard work. Oh, yea, and you all make it so much fun.

Here is a painting I did for the other pumpking painting thread. I did it in ArtRage and used Oil brushes, Crayons, and Pallette Knife.

For a Quick Work to get Watercolor results............ here is the same painting imported into Painter IX and converted to Watercolor.......

Admittedly, not a watercolor masterpiece, but a quick way (a filter approach) to transposing any image with one brush choice. That brush can be applied to the entire painting as an effect.
Here is how I did it.......
1. The artwork is pened on the Canvas layer. From either the pulldown menu at the top LAYERS or the popout menu on the right side of the Layers pallet bar, choose LIFT CANVAS to WATERCOLOR LAYER.
2.Choose a paper texture in the PAPER SELECTOR. Note: some brushes are responsive to the grain in paper and react with more definition to the paper texture. One example is the GRAINY VARIANTS.
3. Go to the Brush Selection Bar, choose a Watercolor Brush with the personality you wish to apply to your painting. The effect will be applied to entire painting. (There are ways to isolate certain areas, but more complicated than I wish to deal with here)
4.Choose WET ENTIRE WATERCOLOR LAYER from either the popout menu or the pulldown menu of LAYERS. In the LAYERS popout menu you will see an animated waterdrop move as Painter applies this brush to your entire painting. when the animation stops, Painter is done. You can combine this approach with individual brushstrokes to create watercolor much more quickly than individual strokes alone.
Note: most of my attempts to convert pictures this way, left me short of satisfaction. I was robbed the pleasure of doing and thinking the strokes myself and the even and contrived look also left me longing. You may want to continue from here and add your own strokes to make it look more finished and more of your own. Nevertheless, it is available to use and useful to understand. Each Watercolor brush becomes its own filter. Remember, you can change the settings on each brush as well. This essentially, gives you unlimited ways you can manipulate your picture/painting.

jerry
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2005, 03:02 AM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

In my approach to painting in traditional watercolor media, I have often mixed into my watercolor a little ink or acrylic paint. The mixed media all work in similar way (particularly if the mediums are thin and runny). It is good to see you experimenting with other mediums (marker, oils, etc.) in your watercolor media. I have run into the traditionalists (of which I am not, but understand and subscribe to the rules) who say, TRANSPARENT WATERCOLOR ONLY. They are firm in their convictions. I have no problem with this mindset, when one is entering into certain contests and juried exhibitions, but I am one that does not believe artists need to be limited by another's definition. There are some amazing results that can be obtained by mixing these mediums. In Painter IX, even more combinations are possible. Compatibility is not as much an issue. Even though Watercolor is treated differently in Painter IX, Digital Watercolor changed many of the limitations. Creativity overcomes the rest.

jerry
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2005, 03:17 AM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

Finally got a chance to finish this painting. Digital Watercolor brushes. A little experimentation time spent on this work. Eraser and bleach used for highlights. In real watercolor, I have used very fine sandpaper. This is not available in Painter, but the gentle erasers do have same affect on the pigments. I pushed size, perspective, and colors to heighten the composition of this picture.

jerry
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2005, 10:08 AM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Tried out a new program (to me anyway) Artweaver did the apples / grapes freehand from memory saved as a jpg and opened in Painter and tried lifting to watercolor and wetting the canvas.......don't ask what settings I had I have no idea LOL I just went with what was there. ;o) took about 30 min in all and I have to say I love the way this program puts down the paint.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2005, 11:44 AM
A Local Legend
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Marge, it looks impressionistic, doesn't it?
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2005, 01:56 PM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

I hadn't thought of that till you mentioned it , Kristen ;o) It does look impressionistic guess we could use this for a quick impressionist look to our paintings. ;o)
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

Painter IX - digital and watercolor brushes combined.
Added surface texture paper.
Used Runny Airbrush Watercolor brush for 3/4 of the picture. I changed settings as I went along to add variety, and used clone-feature on 50% of the painting.

In this picture, I added a layer over canvas and then erased white to reveal underneath picture. This acted as a crop and accent mark to change overall appearance and add interest and focus.

jerry

Last edited by PAKI : 10-15-2005 at 03:17 PM.