WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2005, 11:29 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
My Home

Hails from Pakistan
Project: Skin Tones

Here is a project of skin tones. I am posting some ref images that have some good lights and have different skin tones. Who wants to learn, may paint these images. You may paint one, two or as many images as you want. If you need guidence, help, you will get it.

You may post your WIPs to get better feedback. I look forward to your replies.

Note: Seniors members can help newbies by advices, by showing their WIPs.

This project is always open. So when you have time, try these.

As I already said, these are some hints of all skin tones.

This is the main skin color of that image.

Here is the guess of some lights.

Last edited by maria_khurram : 09-04-2005 at 12:10 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2005, 11:32 PM
My Home

Hails from Pakistan
Re: Project: Skin Tones

The original skin tone.

Some colors you may add in skin tones.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2005, 12:30 AM
My Home

Hails from Pakistan

Here is the original skin color.

Some hints for colors in skin tone.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2005, 12:42 AM
My Home

Hails from Pakistan

The skin color.

Some hints.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2005, 12:50 AM
My Home

Hails from Pakistan

Hue of skin.

Lights which affect on skin colors.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2005, 12:55 AM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

Just a warm up. Maybe next one will be a WIP. Nina.

jerry
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2005, 12:58 AM
My Home

Hails from Pakistan

The original skin hue.

Lights reflected on face.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2005, 01:08 AM
My Home

Hails from Pakistan

MORE REFERENCES ARE COMING. I WILL POST THEM A BIT LATER.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2005, 02:17 AM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

To begin the construction of this portrait, I used Maria's guideline for light (color) and mapped out major face planes with respect to the color of light emitting upon them. I established that I would use cool colors in the shadows and warmer colors in the lit areas.

Continuing in my color map, I added slightly warmer color planes (violet) but staying on the cooler side. I call this color sculpting.
I resist the temptation to add details too quickly. I did not do an outline. This method uses sculpting color strokes and lines can be painted over. My opacity is set to about 50% at this point. It is not important to which brush you select as much as it is important to select a brush and medium that you are comfortable with.
I am moving warmer into the planes that are lit up more. I am staying close to Maria's color suggestions at this point until I establish the planes I want to model the face. My goal is to portray light in a meaningful and expressive way. I am not overly concerned about establishing a likeness that is tightly rendered. Staying loose and continue to model the planes. Resist temptation to add too much detail. Let is happen. I am using the reference image and squinting to see the planes a little better. Keeping my strokes large but beginning to vary stroke size a little. I begin to define the eyes, nose, mouth, chin, hairline. I have been conscious of their location and made small marks early on and adjusted a little each step. It is important to keep the proportions and location close to the reference in order to retain some likeness. I switch brushes at this point. I want to use some cross-hatching with a brush set to two different transparencies. I like the way it builds much like pencil hatching builds shape through value. I am strengthening colors but also blending at this stage. Here is where I give myself permission to jump in and add some details. Go, jer, go!
Blending a little at the end to get smoother color transitions. I resist overblending this picture. I want some hard edges to add interest and exagerrate some of the facial planes. I could keep going on this one to capture a closer likeness, but I have exagerrated the painting for my own benefit and like where I am at. So I will stop, I have captured and portrayed the light and told my version of the story........The final painting of light.

jerry

Last edited by PAKI : 09-04-2005 at 02:22 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2005, 08:43 AM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

A color map showing where the skin colors were used.

jerry
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2005, 12:50 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from Puerto Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAKI
Blending a little at the end to get smoother color transitions. I resist overblending this picture. I want some hard edges to add interest and exagerrate some of the facial planes. I could keep going on this one to capture a closer likeness, but I have exagerrated the painting for my own benefit and like where I am at. So I will stop, I have captured and portrayed the light and told my version of the story........The final painting of light.
Paki, you did an awesome job. I love this WIP. How long it took you from beginning to end? I like the concept very much. Congragutations.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhercilia
Paki, you did an awesome job. I love this WIP. How long it took you from beginning to end? I like the concept very much. Congragutations.
Thank you. Including the WIP posting, start to finish, probably 4 hours.

jerry
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2005, 03:35 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from Puerto Rico

This painting was done in Painter IX (no cloning-I don't like cloning, no previous sketching - as I usually do- since I wanted to keep a loose feel to it.) I painted it by just looking at the reference as if the model was sitting in front of me. The result is what spoke to me at the time of painting him.
About 3 hours to complete.

Step 1: I started with some loose linear marks just to get the feel of his features. I used a custom bursh named Big Wet Lucious from Jeremy Sutton.

Step 2: After finishing the linear marks, I started to fill in big areas with the palette knife with very low opacity. At this point, I tried to block in the lights and shadow shapes.

Step 3: Here, I used the Coarse Distorto brush to move paint around and add some more paint at the same time.

Step 4: In this stage, I used, from the Digital Watercolor, the Soft Diffuse brush to darken with color the shadow areas of the painting, especially the skin tone.

Step 5: After finishing with the Digital Watercolor brush, I went back to the Dirstorto brush to define the eyes by moving paint around and adding some paint at the same time. To accomplish this, I set the brush to a small size with some opacity, about 20-30% to be able to add paint also.

Step 6: In this almost final stage, I kept adding more paint defining stronger shadows and some accent colors, like the light blue on his hair to match his suit to balance the composition.

Step 7: This final state was to finish detailing the eyes and cheen, and to sign the painting. So here is the result! Hope you like it. Any C&C welcomed, as always.

This is a detailed shot of the painting:

Last edited by jhercilia : 09-04-2005 at 03:48 PM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles

Hails from United States

Awsome thread!

Just to vent a lil, I LOST MY PAINTING I DID LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Anyway, I need to get started painting these pic, I took a nice break from skin tones, and its time I get to tring again so I plan to do each on of these photos, all except one, one of these pics scare me.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

Janet, another great wip and you did a fantastic job breaking it down for us viewers. I really like this style you have developed. It is an ARTISTIC WINNER.
Truly possible in digital media.

jerry