WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2005, 12:27 PM
India

Re: pAiNt tHiS! cHapTeR 11

Thanks Babs...the loose style comes from the kind of brush i used in painter 8. A custom one.
Jane Ann.. thanks! You're right about the warm rich color... Generally speaking we just adore plenty of it!
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Louisville, KY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytemebabs
Muse you did an outstanding job on the swans. I love the way you did the background. I shyed away from painting that one, but maybe I should give it a try. Problem is I am slow lol.

ty Babs I had to stop working on it before it drove me crazy!
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Central Texas

Hails from United States

Coop - you couldn't have found a better photo for this project. All my work here can be classified as "Photo Manipulations" I did do some airbrush work on the faces using Photoshop CS on all. My favorite style is "Old World" and I strive to bring the feeling of this into all my portraits.
Attached Images

#64   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Enthusiast
Rochester NY

Hails from United States

Jane please don't laugh because I honestly am not sure what you mean by "photo whatever you called it". Did you paint this or did you take the photo and do something with the software you own? All I do is vector in the main images and paint from there, so I am not sure what you do to achieve your beautiful results. Thank you for the information in advance
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Central Texas

Hails from United States

Babs - I use Photoshop to alter and transform the original photograph into an "Artistic Rendering" as the one you see above. The results are a combination of many different filters-blending modes-color corrections-distortions-vignetting and air brushing .....each step is enhanced by the next one untill I achieve the desired effect I am looking for. I could hand paint the image as you do but why should I when I could never achieve the beauty I strive for if I did. Now when I paint on real canvas I have no choice....but working in digital I can't imagine why anyone would hand stroke when they don't have to. If I want to show off my "Traditional" skills - I do it in a "Traditional Medium" When I work in "Digital" I prefer to use "Digital Techniques" - Alot of artist feel if the can say " Oh---Yes this was done on the computer..... BUT... I "Hand Painted" it. - Do you think it makes a difference to the viewer? In their mind - it is still "Computer Art" The point of Digital is that it is Digital...so if one fails to use all the power it offers......the effort is in vain. Do you see my point? I hope so because I have lost it! .....So - my answer is - NO - I did not paint it - it is the Ultimate Photo Manipulation!

Last edited by Miss J : 07-21-2005 at 05:32 PM.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Central Texas

Hails from United States

I want to say something to everyone here ... Never - Ever try to pass off your Digital work as anything other than what is is. Be proud of it! - I always tell my viewers that I work in Digital and my art work is classified as either " Photographic Art Works" or "Digital Design". If you don't - you will NEVER be respected in your field. Digital Art and Photo Artworks are gaining acceptance for the sheer fact that most of it on the market today is by far the most appealing. I just want to encourage people to experiment with every possible method you can come up with and use it to it's fullest in your work. You will not be sorry - The sky is the limit now - the Digital age is upon us all -Reach out and take advantage of the new technology - it is future of the art world.

Last edited by Miss J : 07-21-2005 at 06:03 PM.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2005, 06:06 PM
London, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Babs, love the hair and the tear shes fab.

Miss J
Thanks, yes that is helpful....what does the maximum filter do??? No filters used btw I did the swan in painterIX, "painted" it using pastels and blending stump. But I really like what've you done looks cool. May post edit in PS sometime.
Thanks again, keep the advice coming
Emma
x
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast
Rochester NY

Hails from United States

Thank you for replying Jane and I think I have the concept. I never use filters even though psp has some ... not as good as photoshop I am sure. Never having done "real" art, I guess my challenge is to paint it digitally without filters. I don't think there is any "wrong" way to paint digitally. It is all personal preference and I appreciate you taking the time to reply . Looking forward to seeing more of your art!
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Central Texas

Hails from United States

You are right - there is nothing wrong at all and I hope it wasen't taken that way. I am just saying to you do not limit yourself to the hand strokes is all.

Keep up the good work.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Louisville, KY

Hails from United States

Quick take on the horses.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Louisville, KY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytemebabs
Thank you for replying Jane and I think I have the concept. I never use filters even though psp has some ... not as good as photoshop I am sure.

I work primarily in PSP7. It's not so much the tools as how you use what you have IMHO.

If that doesn't make sense I have been up for about 30 hours now so just ignore me
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Central Texas

Hails from United States

Thats right Muse - you have to know how and when to use them.
I love the snow in this....it really sets the mood. You did good!

This attachment is for Bev and Emma - I want to show Bev the depth she can achieve and for Emma - the Max filter - I used it on the hair here. The beautiful highlights now bring it all to life.

Skin is very hard to paint in digital. If you don't use some kind of texture on top of your strokes you get a "pasty" look. I use the noise filter @ around 1% ( you can fade it back if it seems too much - always pull it up close and look at it ) then use Gaussian blur at around 0.5% to "push" the noise into the skin. This is a necessary thing if you want to have a natural look. Noise really should always be applied in small doses to the entire image after all is done. It helps to hide any harshness and gives great texture to an image that otherwise would look slick and lifeless.

Hope this tip helps someone - thats for being a good sport Bev in letting me use yours as an expample.
Attached Images

Last edited by Miss J : 07-21-2005 at 09:02 PM.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2005, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member
On earth.

Hails from Australia

JCoop these images are quite inspiring to work on them. I will post my work soon.
Everyone has done great job.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

Two Horses - digital watercolor, acrylic variants, some pen. Painter IX
I used vivid color to express the energy and atmosphere of these two companions. I am striving to portray "companionship and tension". Continuing in my new-found abstract style.

jerry
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

I am remaining loose and impressionistic, but moved toward a more realistic image in this painting. Using mostly watercolor brushes and plenty of transparency and layers to control the final look. I created a pallette from the source picture, but reduced it to limit my color selection. Changed and varied brush sizes often. I spent most of the time painting shapes within shapes to get the final appearance and look.

jerry