WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2005, 09:34 AM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom
Outside the Lines: 19th - 25th June

Just a short reminder to say absolutely anybody can start this thread each week. It's our weekly chat thread for all matters unconnected with coloured pencils. Just remember to get the dates right - always Sunday to Saturday.

And we're having a sizzling weekend here in London - other half and I went for walk last night up the Regents Canal - which is very close to where we live - and around the first ever public park in England (well that's what the notice said!) at 5.00pm and I managed to come back with my tan nicely topped up! And oodles of photos. Here's a few. I think the birds are moor hens.

PS And the sketch books are going onto the website pretty fast but it's a very time-consuming task!
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2005, 09:55 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Re: Outside the Lines: 19th - 25th June

Pretty! We had a super time last night, cooked out under the stars, watching the fireflys, playing old cds...lots of Clapton and some Grateful Dead. Our neighbors 2 doors over were having a loud party so we felt comfy cranking it up in our yard!!

Then the town next to us had their fireworks display which we watched from our front porch. Our poor Otto (the boxer/pit mix) is so terrified of them, he hid in the very back of my closet, under the eaves of the house....little Gus didn't even notice them...
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Enthusiast
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Hails from United States

It's been fairly warm here in Oklahoma. We have had an unusual weather pattern during the month of June. We've had a great deal of severe weather, which normally tapers off this month.

Katherine, I had a chance to view your website. Very nice. I really enjoyed the landscapes. Some of them I had seen before, but I always enjoy your style.

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures." ~ Henry Ward Beecher
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Immortalized
Virginia

Hails from United States

We need a fascinating topic to carry us through this week. Suggestions, anyone? Here are mine:

1) alien abduction stories
2) life goals
3) most boring class you've ever taken
4) most boring person you've ever hit
5) most favorite recipe in your recipe box
6) one weird fact that you'd like to share with all of us
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2005, 01:03 PM
A Local Legend
London

There again - to stay topical we could always have the oddest thing you (or your wife) ate while pregnant - but Kathy and I won't be joining in on that one - unless we do friends/colleagues as well?

Greg - thanks for the comment, Sydney Harbour Bridge and the ferries have just gone on! I always think of that one as a very 'boys own' sketch!

Last edited by Katherine T : 06-19-2005 at 01:10 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Deep South

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper2
We need a fascinating topic to carry us through this week. Suggestions, anyone? Here are mine:

1) alien abduction stories
2) life goals
3) most boring class you've ever taken
4) most boring person you've ever hit
5) most favorite recipe in your recipe box
6) one weird fact that you'd like to share with all of us

Interesting choices Maggie.

Along the lines of one weird fact that you'd like to share with all of us

I'll post this.

I got married to my high school sweetheart when I was barely 18 years old. 14 months later, I had my first child and then had 5 kids in 8 years and 3 months. When the youngest was 4..I went to work full time in our newly started family owned business as the accountant. My husband worked 60-70 hours a week..most of time, he worked 7 days a week too.

Now..all our kids are grown and married...3 live out of state. My twin lives out of state also. Because of this lifestyle and always striving to get ahead...I had no time to cultivate friendships. Now, I'm semi-retired and stay home and draw. I go to work once a week and haven't been outside after dark since before Christmas.

So..now at 57 years old..I have no friends. This isn't a woe is me..feel sorry for me...It just is a "one weird fact that I'm sharing".
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Immortalized
Virginia

Hails from United States

Lynn . . . sounds pitiful enough to be a woe is me to me! Actually, I have very few good friends in the area where I live, but I still keep in touch with my best friends from college who now live in Scotland and Australia (well, she's only in Australia for the semester -- but the other one is a full timer in Scotland). I think the way of the world now with everyone's diverse interests and the sheer expense of getting out and doing things that a lot of people find solace and companionship in friends online, like at WetCanvas.

But that wasn't exactly what I meant by a weird fact. I wasn't going for a Truth or Dare sort of thing -- more like:

Fact: there is such a thing as an Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) suppository.

Fact: Crabs are related to spiders.

Fact: Moldy hay is a leading cause of barn fires.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2005, 09:27 PM
A Local Legend
Delaware, USA

Hails from United States

Well. I too do not have a whole slew of friends... not where I live anyway.. everyone I am close to is up North or East in Georgia.
My art is my solace. My therapy. Anne Frank had her window, I have art.
On Easter Sunday of this year, my 9 year old tried to stangle himself. This past week we found out a better "WHY" than the fact that he is slightly autistic and bi-polar. Turns out a sicko creep who's already a registred sex offender has been molesting my son. He's in jail right now with a 250,000.00 bond. I have been SICK over this whole thing... only am telling this group because umm... I plan on being in the group as long as you'll have me... and also, the more people that know, the more can pray for my Nolan and our family. So I hope you all will.
The one good thing about this is that this creep is not going to walk, we don't think, because of prior offenses and the fact that it's been all over the news on TV and the newspaper.. they want other victims to come forward...
in this state it carries the death penalty.
I am to the point where even slightly stressing things seem monumental.
I just want you all to know that umm, even though I haven't been haging around for THAT long, you guys are a great group and I am so thankful for WC.
So, if you pray, please do that for us. I believe it helps. Otherwise I would have lost it by now completely.
Thanks,
-Fae Lynn

"If You follow every dream, you might get lost." ~Neil Young
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2005, 11:35 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Weird fact #1.

That all the people I went to school with got old, but not me!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Lancaster,California

Hails from United States

Fae Lynn...how terrible for your son Nolan to be victimized by this man. Thank God this pedophilier is in jail where he belongs. My heart just aches for you and your family. I will hold you all in prayer...because like you I know it helps.

Irene

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2005, 12:34 AM
Immortalized
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

FaeLynn I have been exactly where you are, if you need someone to talk to about it, please PM me okay? I can promise you I understand.

Weird fact - well i read one somewhere once that in our life times we all swallow about 5 spiders in our sleep or something ---ewwww!

Weird thing about me - Most of my mates are men, I just seem to get guy mates! I do have one good girl friend but mostly blokes

Weirder thing about me - I have this verrrry rare congenital disorder where I have almost a hundred spleens, it's called polysplenia and most people don't live long after birth who have it, 'cept me cos I'm special I also have organs all over the place, some in the mirror image spot of where they should be and some just where they felt like being. I am a one in a several hundred million with my little collection of anomalies (have a few others I shan't bore you with) but if you're looking for a weird fact about me, well it's - ME!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2005, 01:49 AM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchlight
...Weird fact - well i read one somewhere once that in our life times we all swallow about 5 spiders in our sleep or something ---ewwww! ....

Oh dear! Thanks Wendy...now I'm going to sleep very well tonight Val
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2005, 02:25 AM
Immortalized
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Teehee, when I first read that one, I slept with a bandana over my mouth for a few days before I got sick of it
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2005, 06:57 AM
Enthusiast
Sheffield, UK

Hi everyone. Hope all is well. I never thought i would say this but it is too hot. This hot weather is just unbearable. Bring back snow!

Ok, here come my weird facts:

Weird Fact #1
It is impossible to lick your elbow.

Weird Fact #2
Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing

Weird Fact #3
Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.

Weird Fact #4
The longest place-name still in use is Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki maungahoronukupokaiwe-nuakit natahu, a New Zealand hill. Have you ever been Wendy?

Weird Fact #4
There is a 75% chance that all WC'ers reading this post have attempted to lick their elbows.

www.facebook.com/clairemilliganartist
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2005, 07:33 AM
Enthusiast
Hamilton, ON, Canada

Hails from Canada

fae lynn, my thoughts are with you - i know you can both get through this, thank God you found out before anything worse happened...

wendy, why would you sleep with a banana over your mouth ?
(don't spiders live in banana crates?) oops, i just noticed you wrote "bandana"... never mind. hehe

ok here's a weird fact: if everyone in china were to jump up and down at the same time it would send the earth off its axis.

the wedding on saturday went splendidly - the weather cooperated nicely even though it looked like rain all day.... nolan was ringbearer; he made it about 5 steps before he started yelling "daddy! daddy! where's daddy!", at which point he ran screaming down the aisle to me.... it was kinda cute!

i played a very nervous emcee, though it got a little smoother through the night - can't say i'm very comfortable speaking in public, which was why i took the job in the first place - my wife's a pro though, nothing fazes her.

i gave the happy couple the painting of their dog maggie (remember the thread that you all helped me with?)... and they were absolutely blown away! - i might even get a commission or two out of it, who knows?

anyway, all of this wedding talk reminds me of a crazy story involving a bride-from-hell, and it's 100% true because i know her personally (no names)...

... the couple were getting married in a catholic church, and the bride being non-rc, had to take classes from the church before their ceremony... on the night of the wedding rehearsal, the bride brings up a page with some scripture written on it and shows the father, saying this is what she wants to read in the ceremony... the priest, infuriated, looks at her and says "did you tear this page out of the bible!!!!???"

but it gets better ... the bride went to a photographer to get some glamour photos done for her soon-to-be-hubby... well let's just say that some of the photos were a little "risque" to say the least... my buddy, who is brother of the groom and best man, was at that time sharing a bedroom with the groom in his parents home, so bridezilla asked him (the brother) to deposit these photos all over the grooms bed on the day of the wedding (sort of a "taste of things to come")... he of course, flatly refused... so the bride ASKED THEIR MOTHER TO DO IT!!!!

... but there's more... the bride's dress was very low-cut (she was in total love with her own boobs), so she had to keep pulling it up during the day... the couple had taken a ball dancing course at fred astaire, and had rehearsed a whole routine for their first dance.... so (you see it coming don't you?), the couple were whirling around the room and the groom goes to dip her and.... HELLO!!!.... i've seen the video, and you can see the horrified looks on peoples faces! oh, and apparently she popped out at the church signing the registry.... too much!

... she's an example of the kind of person, who on the outside is so beautiful but once you spend 30 minutes talking to her..... whew!

cheers,
gord