WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast
Yorkshire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Project Discussion: Water, water everywhere.......

Hi Kathy, I've been playing around with the same photo and found that if you use hard and soft edges it creates the movement, I'll post later to show you what i mean.

gayle
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2005, 10:38 AM

Hails from Netherlands

Here's mine.
Not there in a very long way.
What do you think about it is it going anywhere ? ( don''t be gentle please )
trudette
Attached Images

#63   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Lancaster,California

Hails from United States

Ok, here is my reference photo. Had the hardest time uploading last night. I did a tighter crop.

Irene

#64   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2005, 01:24 PM
A Local Legend
Living on the Island....

Hails from Canada

That Dalmatian pic is so lovely....looking forward to see what you've done with it Gayle....and Trudette, it sure looks to me like you're moving in the right direction!! Irene... just keep on going, you'll get there too....hang on! wait a minute! I'm having an opinion here on something I have no experience in

Meisie
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Western North Carolina

Hails from United States

Hi! I'm a "new kid". Been lurking here for a couple of years, learning and experimenting and now - finally - I'm ready to "play", too. This project sounded perfect. I've been thinking about painting water and now here is great motivation. Thanks.

My piece is purely experimental. I've never done a piece like this before - not the subject or the technique, so wherever it goes will be an adventure.

I'm using Derwent watercolor color pencils on Canson acid free 140 lb "rough" watercolor paper - I think it was originally white, but I've had this pad for at least 10 years and now it is a definite vanilla color. I found my "perfect" photo in the reference library (what a great source).

I'm going to upload the reference photo, my original pencil sketch, and the painting after a light layer (various colors) all over done with a dry pencil. I'm in the process now of wetting that first layer and I'm typing this inbetween colors. I'll only wet one color at a time for this layer so that the colors don't run together.

You'll notice right away, I'm sure, that I've changed the colors of the boats. And the reflection/shadow of the red boat is green at the moment - but is on it's way to being very very dark - nearly black, like in the photo.

Back to my adventure!
Attached Images

#66   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2005, 05:45 PM
A Local Legend
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKWYRM
Katherine, ripples, reflections, and shadows are all okay. I "get" how to draw those. But how about more "active" water? How does one handle splashes and foam like in this ref photo?
This from the woman who did a great big tomato splashing through water? That was a rhetorical question wasn't it?
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Deep South

Hails from United States

Not sure this is worth posting...but here's a peek at my progress.

Miles to go!!!

#68   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Deep South

Hails from United States

Welcome Suzun.

It's looking good..so far. Don't forget to leave the white of the paper for your whitest white..highlights.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2005, 06:48 PM
A Local Legend
London

Welcome Suzun to the forum. Two years! Gosh, I'm so pleased we've finally tempted you out of lurkerdom.

And you've made such a good choice of photo. I was ever so aware I hadn't loaded any straightforward ones and I'm really, really glad that you and Meisie have come up with a couple of photos that are wonderful in themselves - and 'doable'.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you get on with this, especially since you're doing it on 'rough' paper - I've only ever used hot pressed so you'll be able to teach me a few things by the time you've finished. And it's looking good!

Lynn - that's coming along really well. Why don't you tell us what you've decided about how you're going to do the misty bits.

Meisie - looking forward to seeing your first post.

Irene - I have an art history reference photo for you! This is Manet ('a' not 'o') painting the Grand Canal - and those blue and white posts. You never know they may be the same ones! One of the things that helps with water that has a bit of movement in it is to create a sense of 'broken' colour rather than nice smooth gradations. Look at the Manet - the colour is completely broken up in a very definite sort of way - but is it convincing or what?

In my opinion, smooth gradations only really work with absolutely glassy smooth water. I think it might be helpful if you focus on getting some of that sort of sense of movement in the water. Have you seen my thread on Monet and me? If not, you might find it interesting to read. I used lots of different colours doing the water.

What I'll try and do tomorrow is get 'himself' to take some photos of how I hold my pencil to do the water that it's in that thread. There's definitely something about how you hold it which helps to loosen up the movement and hence how it comes out on paper.

Last edited by Katherine T : 06-10-2005 at 06:51 PM.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Lancaster,California

Hails from United States

Thank you Katherine for the reference picture and explanation about the movement of water. I re-read Monet and Me and decided to give left handside of my drawing under the boat a try...I'm not sure if this is what you meant. I basically used small lines of various colors. If not, I can't wait for the demo.

Irene

#71   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2005, 01:47 AM
A Local Legend
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudette
Here's mine.
Not there in a very long way.
What do you think about it is it going anywhere ? ( don''t be gentle please )
trudette
Hi Trudette - I'm ever so sorry I completely missed you out earlier.

Wow, isn't it good the way having the thumbnail of the photo and the painting next to one another you can see any issues re size / proportion really easily. Which prompts me to say, jolly good drawing! But maybe the white swan's body is a tad too plump - look at the thumbnails.
You've made a terrifc start Got to get those values going now - lots more layers to build up the depth of colour and tone.

I'm not sure that the twig/leaves in the bottom right hand corner add anything. What do others think?
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2005, 02:00 AM
Immortalized
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Ooh this is so exciting! Everyones doing so well I've got a bunch of stuff to get done over the weekend and then I'm moving on to my water piece, I can't wait to join in!
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2005, 02:03 AM
A Local Legend
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Prior
Thank you Katherine for the reference picture and explanation about the movement of water. I re-read Monet and Me and decided to give left handside of my drawing under the boat a try...I'm not sure if this is what you meant. I basically used small lines of various colors. If not, I can't wait for the demo.

Irene
Hi Irene

When you're using colours think about what the colours are which make up the colour you think you can see - and push the boundaries of how you use colour. Mix your greeny blues and bluey greens in the page. Even two marks close togther will look like a third colour from a distance - it's an optical distortion which works to your advantage.

Do you see how in your reference photo the water is actually not flat? At the moment, you're mark-making as if the water was completely still. What you're drawing is the Grand Canal in Venice and there are boats going up and down it the whole time and the water is never ever still. So what you have to do is find a way of mark-making which conveys the sense of all those little 'hills' and 'valleys' in the water. I did this by using a scooping mark - sort of if as if I was drawing one side of a little hill starting at the bottom, scooping up and lifting off at the top.

It's very difficult to explain - I wish I had video! I'll see if I can do a little demo somehow - unfortunately, I'm not going to be around much this weekend.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2005, 04:48 AM
Enthusiast
Yorkshire

I've been thinking about how to represent mist or fine spray. Because I don't mind mixed media I'd probably use an airbrush or acrylic flicked from a toothbrush. But for the people who want to keep to pure CP I think if you scraped pure pigment into solvent and then flicked with a bristle brush it would work. I should get time to try it later this weekend, possibly today so I'll post the results of my experiment.

Gayle
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2005, 04:52 AM
Immortalized
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Ooh good idea Gayle. I've done something similar before which worked well but I used two different types of pencil, polychromos and prismacolor. What I did was use the poly's underneath and did the mist in white prismacolor. The prisma sits really well on top of the poly's and you can smear it all over the place leaving a good mist like effect. I just used a tissue to rub it around. Probably not a lot of help if you haven't got the two types. You could just use a white glaze over the colours perhaps?