WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2005, 11:00 AM
A Local Legend
rural missouri

Hails from United States
Re: Portrait of Abby WIP

This already has that *Tommy look* to it. Can't wait to see this one take shape. Love the moon. wanda
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Lord of the Arts
North Texas

Hails from United States

Will be great, signing up for the ride

Will you keep the stripes on her shirt? I like them.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Immortalized
Virginia

Hails from United States

Yup, just an irrelevant post so that I can hop on the magic carpet as well. I've had to do some pieces where I put together elements like this and have always gotten tremendously frustrated, so I'm going to be watching very carefully.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2005, 12:16 AM
A Local Legend
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Your study is tremendous, Tommy!

So, you want it that dark, eh? I find so many lovely details that I would still love to see, but you are the one with the idea, and I fully trust your artistic eye by now...

The bear is so friendly, with all those wonderful curved lines!

If she has the moon and the lamp behind her, she would practically be back-lit all around, right?

What a challenge! I'll be watching with great interest...

Boldness commands the eye, but nuances hold it there. Margot Schulzke
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2005, 01:25 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Thanks everyone. Liesl, I'll probably keep the stripes. Raquel, my monitor sees everything lighter than you see it so it won't be quite as dark as you're seeing it now. And the moon at this time of day wouldn't influence the lighting of the figure very much. Besides, the only light I want hitting them will be ambient light and light from their own lamp. The lamp is symbolic as well as practical. It lights her way (her own light) and also serves as a reading light.

For reason to tolerate those who refuse to play by the rules of reason is nothing else but the suicide of reason. ~ Lee Harris

Last edited by brynmr : 05-29-2005 at 01:28 AM.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2005, 09:07 AM
Lord of the Arts
Northeast USA

Hails from United States

As a lifelong bookworm, the most important thing is getting that reading light positioned just so! This will be gorgeous, Tommy. Love watching the progress.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2005, 10:54 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
color rough

Here's one of the color roughs I did after doing a lot of swatches. This one's the best. I think it's not too bad. Close to what I had in mind. The first version is probably what will look right to you guys since my monitor sees everything as too pale.

Anyway, let me know what you think of the color though this could be a shot in the dark monitor-wise.
Attached Images

For reason to tolerate those who refuse to play by the rules of reason is nothing else but the suicide of reason. ~ Lee Harris
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Immortalized
Virginia

Hails from United States

Tommy, two things:

First off, color-wise, I think that with that strong light source behind her (the moon, right?), you're going to get a glowy effect all around your subjects -- particularly her legs. It would be a cool effect if you could pull it off, but difficult, I think. But I don't think you'll get a clear cut-out silhouette with that light source there.

Secondly, I don't know if you're using this sketch for the details of composition as well, but if you are, I would reconsider how you have her feet on the magic carpet. Rather than having them resting on it as they are now, making it look like its a stiff substance (maybe she's on an Astro-Turf magic carpet?), I think that maybe they would be nestled in a little bit, since I would think that a magic carpet, although an exhilarating ride, would not be tremendously supportive beneath you -- might curve around your feet and butt.

I don't know, it's been such a long time since I've been on one. And it was after dark. And I may have been drinking. It's just not a very clear memory any longer.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I'll let Tommy address the magic carpet question. I do like the first sketch, Tommy. The second one gets too dark for me. OK, looking forward to the real WIP now.

Sanford
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2005, 12:19 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Tommy do you do color comps before the real thing? I simply cannot believe that you do that...it's so darned organized! You will ruin every artists reputation for being a tad unbalanced.

Course, you trade the ruined reputation for unbridled success. At least you will with this piece. Its so utterly charming. Keep us up to date. This is so good, and I side with Maggie, there seems to be little in the way of feet weight in the carpet.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2005, 12:30 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Weezy, I don't do a color sketch with each piece though I always do color swatches. This one is complicated for me color-wise. Otherwise it's easy but it will be time-consuming. It's so big! Yikes. I just hope my wrist doesn't go wongie.

I'll keep the foot thing in mind. It does look funny here.

Maggie, my aim is to get this thing to appear as though it's just past sunset so the power of moon light will not be so strong as to create an aura of light on the figure. I'd like to avoid that if I can. We'll see.

ps. Weezy, I am definitely unbalanced.

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2005, 12:36 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Another thing I should mention is I plan to but more stuff into the picture. Something spilling out from the open book, birds in the sky (maybe a dragon ha!) and probably something else on the carpet.

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2005, 06:12 AM
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by brynmr
Maggie, my aim is to get this thing to appear as though it's just past sunset so the power of moon light will not be so strong as to create an aura of light on the figure. I'd like to avoid that if I can. We'll see.
Hmm, so would there be a warmish glow overall (or from the front, or upwards?) from the setting sun? Sounds like a dumb question, I know, but you said just past sunset.

My magic carpets all have a wee bit of fringe on each end though and my Chinese lanterns have a little lucky tag thingy on the bottom that floats in the wind.

Whatever, I like this. *am watching*
`
` ` ` `
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2005, 07:06 AM

Hails from Netherlands

What a sweet picture this is. I can't wait to see the next stage.
It wil make a teriffic poster for a library or bookshop or classroom too.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is that the little girl seemes to look rather sad?
trudette
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2005, 08:01 AM
Lord of the Arts
Northeast USA

Hails from United States

Judy, I just this minute noticed that your signature banner is of CHOCOLATE!!! Yum!

Tommy, I like the looks of the first one on my monitor. The cool blue is evocative of nighttime, but doesn't make the figures too dark to make out details.