WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 02:01 PM
A Local Legend
West coast USA

Hails from United States
Re: pAiNt tHiS! cHapTeR 2

Kareen, thankyou! You have no idea how many times I had to overlook your images because they took to long to load for me. There is really no difference between the way they look on a monitor between bmp and jpg. I just make a copy of my images and then save the copy as jpg for the net and the good copy for printing.

TX you did a good job on your beach lady The more you do, the better you will get.

Mama mouse your doing a great job so far! I get so frustrated when someone says they cheated by tracing/cloning an outline though. It isn't cheating at all!!! If you use the cloner to just go over the origional picture and move the colors a bit, then that isn't real painting, but thats a different story. Even when I do trace, the outline is so sketchy that it plays a miniscule role in the painting. Tracing is a timesaver too. Take the lioness I just painted. I

sketched it freehand and the reason it looks so young is because I get impatient to paint. When I paint I want to paint not draw and I get easily distracted. Now if I took my time, I would/could have drawn the cat in better proportions instead of her huge head on an emaciated body. lol But it seems to be my nature to rush through things. Hence a lioness that kinda looks like a cub. Had I traced I would have had the correct proportions and it would not mean I can't do it right freehand, just that I am to lazy/antsy/distracted, ta da tada. Having said that, I also love to draw, but when I want to draw, I want to draw......LOL, I wonder if that makes any sense to anyone but me???hee hee

Joel, your beach lady is coming along great! Was there ever any doubt...lol I think I will play around with some of the more impasto brushs on her too. I so admire your style.

Okay, the 'wildcat' is a lioness. I knew that as soon as it was mentioned and just to check myself did some research. The cougar has a sleeker appearance, not quite so roundy ears, and black behind the white muzzle. They are very similar, yet very different. But they are both, wild cats.

I forgot to mention, the background for my lion was done with the magic of the artist impressionist and the van gogh brushs.

Sony Nex6, Nikon P610, Sony WX300, SEL55/210, SEL3.5/30 Macro, SEL16/50, 1.8/50

Last edited by Chiers : 03-02-2005 at 02:07 PM.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Immortalized
New York

Hails from United States

Darlin, not to worry... sometime we get so caught up trying to figure out the massive big picture, the little things just escape us.

Quote:
Chiers_ "I get so frustrated when someone says they cheated by tracing/cloning an outline though. It isn't cheating at all!!!"
Amen to that sister!

Thanks for your nice comments!

Alright... a little more progress... still using the "Clumpy Brush".

#63   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Immortalized
New York

Hails from United States

All done... had fun!

#64   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Skurup, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Oh, why can´t I find the time to join

You´re pieces are coming along great! It´s inspiring to see all the vivid and moistirous colors these photos brings out!

Soon, soon... My fingers and brushes are itching

I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by.

Douglas Adams

#65   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Pa

Hails from United States

Sherry, thanks for the nice comments, you are an inspiration! And yes I can relate to the paint and draw modes. And if I'm not in an artsy mood nothing comes out right.
Joel, your girl on the beach is wonderful!
Here is my final version.
Attached Images

#66   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Immortalized
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Hails from United States

Tossing my hat into the ring! With all of the cold, ice and snow here in Cleveland, I decided that I needed tp try the beach scene. I'm working in Painter, using the pastel tools on a sandy paper texture. I started with a quick digital pencil sketch for a rough placement of the subjects. I'll work more on this later. Right now, I have a driveway to shovel!

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Pa

Hails from United States

Cold, Wind and snow here in Pennsylvania also. I am sooooo tired of shoveling but I guess it's good exercise for me.
We got about 10 inches the night before last and another 3 last night. Today we had drifting from the winds.
I love your pic already, the clouds are so dreamy. Can't wait to see it done!
When you say digital sketch I assume you mean with a tablet or do you draw it then scan the drawing?
I don't think I could ever get a sketch so hand drawn looking from my tablet.
This Mouse needs lots more practice.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 07:35 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Santiago, Chile

Hails from Chile

He! he! i'm still working with the same image.....
Attached Images

#69   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 07:59 PM
A WC! Legend
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Well back to the original (minus one leg LOL ) and it's all done in Painter 9, using the charcoal - charcoal brush and just dabbing with colours here and there with a low opacity over the base colours, b/g is with my favorite brushes Artists - Iimpressionist , then I sharpened the colours and here it is
Attached Images

#70   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 08:06 PM
A WC! Legend
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Just browsed all the entries and boy are you guys all good and such a learning experience to see how we all work, Joel I love how you do your colours

#71   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Chicago suburb

Hails from United States

Coop, Mouse, Yako, Jean, Chiers... wonderful!

I think I'm going to gather all my courage and paint a mountain lion...you guys are an inspiration!

Last edited by pstewart : 03-02-2005 at 08:19 PM.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Immortalized
New York

Hails from United States

Wow, they're coming fast and furious now... I love them all! Sara, we'll be here whenever you can manage to get some time. Mouse, what a great finish! digi, I'm glad you showed up! It's always a pleasure to see you do your thing! Kareen, Your painting is a slice of paradise... I really appreciate your fine touch! Jean, "that's the ticket!"... you've done an amazing job with the short hair... bravo! Pat, the lion does require us to summons our courage, but you are a real pro... I know you'll hit a home run! If I missed anybody, I apologize. Great work all!

#73   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 09:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Ontario

Hails from Canada
Unhappy Re: pAiNt tHiS! cHapTeR 2

Just wanted to tell you that when I was dabbing the basic paper thing might have been on, I don't really understand how that works but I had been playing with that before reopening my painting so I just don't know if that would show up in my painting
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Enthusiast
Halifax, NS Canada

Hails from Canada

Here is where I am at with my big kitty! I don't use a sketch as a rule but rather did the image out of the paper so to speak with my brush, laying in areas of colour and then blending them in with different tones to created the shapes I need.

I am using a mixture of brushes but mainly from the Acrylic group.

Elvira
Attached Images

#75   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2005, 01:35 AM
Chicago suburb

Hails from United States

I decided to get him out of that uncomfortable crouch position and let him lie down in the grass by a mossy rock. I used Painter acrylic for the lion, followed by a smudged layer in Photoshop using my special "fur" brush, then combined that over the Painter layer at medium opacity. Used dodge and burn tools to add depth and highlights. Added a white verrrry blurred lion shape set to overlay mode between lion and background to set him off, and sharpened the lion layer. The grass layer was done with a variety of brushes, trying to get a grassy look without too much detail.

Size restrictions make it hard to see detail, but you may see a larger version here:
http://www.pbase.com/image/40377897
Attached Images

Last edited by pstewart : 03-03-2005 at 01:38 AM.