WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 05:08 PM

Re-wettability on the palette vs the paper

My cheap Caran d'ache tube colors of gouache are fairly easy to paint over without lifting off the previous layer. This is the only water media I have ever used, so I can't say whether the dried blobs of paint on my palette rewet easily or not...it seems to depend on how long they've been sitting.

My reading on this forum tells me that better brands rewet easily on the palette. Does that mean they lift easily when painted over?

Last edited by MrsSellers : 07-02-2019 at 05:46 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 06:45 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Re-wettability on the palette vs the paper

Most gouache paint is very difficult to layer because it lifts the previous layer very easily. I've never used Caran d'ache so can't compare that brand with any other.

As for rewetting on a palette, gouache does rewet fairly easily but it isn't anywhere near like it is fresh from the tube. It just doesn't handle quite the same as it never seems as thick and creamy. It always seems too diluted even if the reconstituted paint looks thick.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 07:12 PM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

If you are interested in gouache, James Gurney's blog shows many quick demos. Click on Gouache in his index.

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...ecture-in.html

Gurney says you can layer gouache some if you let the under layer fully dry and keep your touch light and quick. I have also noticed that I have to avoid allowing the upper layer be too wet.

That said, I prefer to use watercolors with white gouache as watercolors are more easy to rewet. I still bat much less than 50% when doing a watercolor/ gouache painting.

Gary
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2019, 12:01 PM

James Gurney made me do it! I had no interest in watercolor, but I was really captivated by his gouache sketches so I had to try it. So far, I either love it or hate it.

With the paints I am using, the layer resists a lot of brush contact if it is very dry. I have to scrub to disturb it. I wondered if this would be the case with a quality brand.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2019, 01:19 PM

Hails from United States

It sounds as if the Caran d'Ache paints are more like watercolor or even acrylic gouache than true gouache.

Traditional gouache (just about any brand) disturbs easily with even the lightest brushwork on a dry layer. However, as bad as that sounds, it can really work to your advantage once you learn to use it. It's easy to blend edges so that there's a gradated color change for instance. Or with leaves, you can put down a layer of yellow then follow it with some green or even blue or black and have a realistic leaf with light and dark. A sort of dabbing stroke is probably the most effective to use after a layer is put down with a light stroking to blend in places.

I won't lie and say this is easy to accomplish but it's very worthwhile to practice to achieve certain looks in your paintings.

You might also take a look at the paintings of Lena Rivo (https://www.lenarivo.com/) or just search for gouache painters to see how others handle the medium. It's very versatile & can either be super realistic or more painterly/impressionistic.

Does this help answer your questions?

AbA
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Absolutely, thank you!

I had been puzzled by all the comments I read about lifting and blending because my paints didn't seem to work that way. Maybe I should stop using these if they're not representative of the medium. I wouldn't want to learn the wrong methods now and have to relearn everything later.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2019, 02:25 PM

Hails from United States

Glad to be of help.

You might look at THIS video review of different gouache brands including the Caran d'Ache.

AbA
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2019, 02:37 PM

Will do
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2019, 12:22 PM

Hails from United States

I found another video that was very helpful to me. Hope it helps you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMz3adIVjJM

And another that really explains what gouache is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spw7OIHSBIU

You Tube has lots of very helpful gouache videos!

AbA

Last edited by Artist_by_Accident : 07-04-2019 at 12:30 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2019, 12:42 AM

Thank you, those were very informative.