WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2018, 05:44 PM
Immortalized
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Figure artists we admire and more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHH
It's great that we are already seeing artists that we may not know and how they have influenced forum members. i hope this is what you had in mind Chris
I love it, and thanks! My desktop PC is still in intensive care, so for now Iíve got no photo processing, and I have to type one finger on a tablet. Life can be irritating at times!
Anyway, one of the figure artists that has recently caught my eye is the Weimar era artist/illustrator Jeanne Mammen. This is her watercolour/gouache Die Wahrsagerin (The Fortune Teller).

Sorry for the bad image!

I first came across her work through the catalog for the show Splendour and Misery in the Weimar Republic.; I find all the variations on the figure that arose from that brief time fascinating. Thatís the English version, the German is linked through that site as well.

Cheers,
Chris
The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2018, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Figure artists we admire and more...

Thanks for the link Chris. Enjoyed browsing through. This watercolour/gouache painting reminds me of an old master's drawing I loved the most amongst all those being exhibited here in my country a few years ago.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember the artist's name....
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2018, 10:15 PM
Immortalized
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

Thatís such a lovely piece, Constance, it has an almost Dutch Golden Age feel to it. Itís a lithograph by Henri Fantin-Latour, called The Embroiderers #3[Wikiart], I first came across it in a lithography course. Thereís a link to the Wikipedia Fantin-Latour page on the Wikiart page as well.
As for genre art, thats something Iíd certainly like to see more of.

Cheers,
Chris
The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2018, 04:09 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom

Love the atmosphere in the Jeanne Mammen painting, caldwell.brobeck.!

Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2018, 05:17 AM
Enthusiast

This weekend I've been really enjoying Taeil Kim's mix of soft figurative and bright abstract...

... and Thomas Donaldson's energetic high contrast work

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2018, 06:43 PM
Surrey, UK

Thanks for peoples' suggestions.

I found a new artist to admire today: Marcos Beccari. He works in watercolour (and a little charcoal/drawing) and is a teacher at UFPR (Federal University of Perana) in Brazil.

His instagram is at https://www.instagram.com/marcosbeccari/ and website at https://marcosbeccari.com/

In some ways I prefer his older stuff as it is less photorealistic though he is now dealing with figures in water which requires more discipline. I find it quite sad that he doesn't sell his work as he works full time for the university (both for his finances and also for more exposure of his work).

A couple of examples though it is difficult to find favourites.

My other favourite figure artist using watercolour at the moment is Wendy Artin. Her website is here http://www.wendyartin.com/

I love how the simplicity and spontaneity of the image belies its thoughtful construction. A couple of examples:

Blog Gallery
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2018, 11:46 PM
Immortalized
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

One of the most important artists to me has been Mary Cassatt. Thatís partly because she was so important in raising an intimate sense of interior and family life to a high artistic standard, and partly because her painterly and especially compositional skills were so superb at evoking the emotional sense of a work.
Perhaps my favourite work of hers is Breakfast in Bed :

[Wikiart]
(Thereís better images on some sites like The Atheneum, but alas I have no photo processing available at the moment)

I think what draws me most to this work is the way she uses elements like hands, faces, and gazes to make the central focus not the bodies themselves, but the two individuals, mother and child, and the complex relationship between them. And who as a parent hasnít had that feeling ďI love and want to protect this kid, but itís too early and I really need my cup of coffee.Ē

Anyway, another of my favorites is The Letter, which is an aquatint and drypoint etching:

[Wikiart]
Here again she uses the hands and face, as well as the envelope, to create a quiet sense in intimacy in a rather visually busy setting.

Cheers,
Chris
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2018, 04:06 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Figure artists we admire and more...

Descartes, I really, REALLY love the first Marcos Beccari work you posted; thank you for sharing. The colours, the contrast, the mood, the shapes; it sings.

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2018, 06:35 AM
WC! Guide

It seems we've got a winner with this thread (thanks to Chris!) Is it time to move it to a stickie Mac?
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2018, 04:10 AM
A Local Legend
Australia

Hails from Australia

I admire this drawing by William Somerville Shanks, he was a student and tutor at Glasgow School of Art, this drawing was done circa 1910 I haven't found any more of his figure work.

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2018, 05:50 AM
WC! Guide

I love that one Bill. I'm guessing he drew this whilst he was a tutor. It looks fantastic in high definition, the knees, the hands, that vein in his leg, the face, the soft out of focus student in the background, wow! https://gsaarchivesandcollections.fi...ks-nmc-055.jpg

Last edited by DavidHH : 11-14-2018 at 05:53 AM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2018, 07:47 AM
WC! Guide

This thread is encouraging me to look for artists I have never heard of and are a little unusual. Some of Lachaise's drawingss are a little too erotic for this forum but I would recommend you look through images of his sculpture. I love his very simple and stylised line.

Gaston Lachaise (American/French, 1882Ė1935) was a French-born American artist known for his sculptures and drawings of the female form. Focusing on the voluptuous qualities of breasts, thighs, and buttocks, Lachaise achieved a modern equivalent to Paleolithic fertility idols, as seen in his Standing Woman (1932). Lachaise once expressed his artistic ambition to be, ďthe glorification of the human body, of the human spirit, with all that there is of daring, of magnificence, of significance.Ē taken from Art Net

Last edited by DavidHH : 11-21-2018 at 08:22 AM.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2018, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast

I'm not a fan of Oskar Kokoschka's work but I came across this simple little drawing and there's something about it that I find absolutely captivating:

Also, (unusually for me) I liked the softness of this painting by Ivanka Demchuk:

Edited to add, Apparently John Singer Sargent had painted a few secret male nudes, unpublished during his life time. I thought this one was beautiful:

Last edited by SarahY : 11-26-2018 at 11:29 AM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2018, 08:15 AM
WC! Guide

Thanks for the new posts, keep it coming people!
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2018, 07:58 AM
WC! Guide

If you want to become really good at figure drawing (yes please ) there's little you can't learn from studying the works of Raphael and Leonardo. In my mind, they were the masters from whom all good figure work stems. I've been lucky enough to study some of Raphael's drawings up close and will be doing the same with Leonardo's drawings next spring. Here's a couple of Raphael's work..