WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2015, 11:52 PM

Began Cal State school still a bit confused as to weather to persue art career

I started a thread about starting at my local Cal state school, and I am about done with my first semester there. It is ok, but I am still unsure if I should pursue a career in art, I have always been artistic, and like painting and drawing.

I took an MBTI strong and career tests from the university to asess my interests and personality, since I am unsure, I took them, dont know how accurate they are or how much stock to place in them.

for the personality I came up as a cross between INFP and INTP. I have been getting all kinds of input from family friends and school counselors. I have been told to go for a teaching credential as a backup job, since the arts dont pay very well.

I want to be able to support myself, I have seen poverty homelessness and abuse of people as a result of being financially dependent, and I want to avoid this.

I have always been a bit limited in considering career choices, as I have never been very good at math, and it seems the best paying jobs involve alot of math and very complex stuff.

One thing that came up in my top ten mbti strong careers was something called a technical writer. I looked it up and on onenet online, it showed the job growth as rapid for this, and it does have a little overlap with art or at least graphic art.

Right now my major is visual and performing arts with a tech option, I am debating whether I should change this. In looking a technical writers, most sites do not show that a particular degree is needed, but experience, and one did suggest some kind of English degree or major.

Not sure if this was the right place to post this, but maybe some of the more experienced members can chime in, I know one wanted an update from another one of my posts about school.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2015, 03:50 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Began Cal State school still a bit confused as to weather to persue art career

It's very difficult to make a living as an artist, especially starting out.

I suggest you get a job which allows you to paint on the side. Work at getting a style and publicise your work as much as possible. Hopefully you will start to sell and eventually get a "name" for yourself and start to get a regular income from your art.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2015, 04:16 AM
A WC! Legend

Re: Began Cal State school still a bit confused as to weather to persue art career

What kind of work do you enjoy?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinasia
What kind of work do you enjoy?

good question, so far I have enjoyed drawing and painting, but have in years, come to like gadgets and electronics. I also like digital photography.

I would say I am a mixed bag, I like the beach and beach activities, gardening, bike riding, nature.

I have never worked at a formal job before where I go in in for hours, with paycheck etc., so I don't have that kind if experince.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2015, 05:43 AM
A WC! Legend

If at all possible, work part time at various jobs and watch, not only the entry level work, but what others are doing, so you can see if you can imagine yourself in their roles. If you are thinking about teaching, get a taste of it by offering to teach some art lessons to a home-school coop, at a retirement center, etc, remembering that teaching is more fun the more you do it.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2015, 04:40 AM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Sorry I didn't see your post before.

I would suggest that, if you indeed like to write, you should have some focus in literature/English -- even if you stick with any arts major, because you'll need it anyway you slice it -- whether you're teaching, vying for a full on "fine arts" career, or wind up doing technical writing. So that's really not a bad idea for you. It's not a bad idea for anyone to have strong writing skills.

Teaching is tricky because you can't tell someone they are going to like teaching until they do it a few times. It's not for everyone. I, for instance badly wanted to teach, but honestly, I'm not really cut out for it. I can only do it in a certain kind of environment with a certain age demographic or I'm really not comfortable. I am an INFJ and I do take stock in the MB testing results. There's a lot to be said about those results.

I don't know what to tell you about the art thing vs. your financial considerations however. It's not that I don't understand. I do, but even in financial business like banking, there is risk taking to be had. An art career is a risk just like anything, but luckily, you are also interested in some newer media and if you're creative enough and ambitious enough, you can create your own place in the art world that will also make money somehow. You just have to be creative about it. I couldn't tell you how your interests can generate that income exactly. Only you can figure that out, but truly, the sky is the limit - like any business plan.

See if there are any creative small business planning classes. Maybe you can meld all your ideas and interests together. The fact that you do not ever want to be destitute would be your motivator for generating income. That's a big start. I didn't have that idea when I started out (would have been a great thought to have in my head when I started out though, wouldn't it?!) I was thinking hand to mouth and that was stupid. If I had the mind that I have now back when I was 18, now that would have been something. You're already ahead of the game. I think you mentioned before that you were not that young in age, but still, you seem like you are smart and you're are at the starting gates of a career. That still counts.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2016, 08:01 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kansas

Hails from United States

Go for a good day job. You can always paint and have fun with it, make a little money, impress neighbors and if... if... you find a wonderful situation arises take advantage of it. But one must eat and the art field is crowded already.

Now to tell you what you already know:

I note your disinterest in maths. You should try to overcome that. Math is much more interesting than you may feel and is a powerful tool. It takes a better teacher than apparently you have had but it can be intriguing. Try reading up on the history of math.

Teaching is unfortunately very iffy these days. Many schools can't afford art or music teachers.

Technical writing is a good one. Why not give that a shot?

and... have fun. That's the big thing.

Dave
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2016, 01:55 PM

I know this thread is a bit old, but thought I'd throw in my opinion.

You can get plenty of art jobs without a degree, and without student loans.

Business classes are great for getting you a job, and will also help with your future art career.

Technical writing is a viable job, but it involves writing pretty dry and uninteresting things like business reports, instruction manuals, etc. You also need to have excellent writing skills, grammar, and spelling.

If you want to teach, then definitely try it out (substitute teaching is a great test, but you also need a bachelor's degree for that in most states). But it's NOT a great financial back-up. You'd be better off going straight into an art career, and maybe teaching an art class once a week. Speaking from personal experience.

I think your current degree choice (if you are set on getting a degree), plus some business classes, will be good. No college degree is going to guarantee you a job. That's not the world we live in anymore. So do what YOU are interested in, because at the end of the day it can still help you get into the field you really want to work in.