WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum > WIPs (Works in Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2011, 04:01 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

New breezy day WIP

Hi,this is a WIP of an oil painting on canvas 24 x 19 inches.
It is the next step from the other one "breezy day" i used to try stuff out on.

This is the basis of the ideas using the information and ideas given to me in this thread
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13932838

As ever all comments and advice welcome,Many thanks for looking

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2011, 04:05 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: New breezy day WIP

2 concerns ...
the dark dark line under the clouds on the horizon line
and the almost center position of the humans
options: lighten said line and move humans closer to the fence
otherwise it's looking marvelous to me = )

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 AM

Thanks for those suggestions.
I have alot to do on the clouds yet,dreading that bit i was also going to add some wind swept trees/foliage to the right of the figures and push the right hand side of the path out further over the sea cutting the sea down,would that help balance things?
Thanks for the kind advice
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2011, 06:30 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

hmm
i don't know
it's just that rule of thirds thing
assuming the people are the coi, scootching them now is easier than later

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2011, 06:04 AM

Thanks for that.
I was going to add a small Edwardian type plane into the painting that the people are looking at,i need to work out the size and height of it [LESSON LEARNT PLAN,PLAN AND PLAN AGAIN ]
This is the very rough basis of the idea i was working on and i am hoping with some foliage /details in the foreground as well it will balance out abit-i hope LOL.
Hopefully you learn by your mistakes and makes it fun as well.

Thanks again for the comments,much appreciated----
All welcome to add anything that may help

THE OIL SKETCH BELOW WAS A ROUGH GUIDE TOWARDS WHAT I WAS TRYING OUT.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2011, 04:02 PM

a quick update,

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Lord of the Arts
Waterlooville, Hants, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

This is looking good. The pink makes for a good COI. The rule of thirds is good for positioning the COI, and I would have moved them over also. Personally I wouldnt add an aircraft - the picture looks OK.
Perhaps bring out the road curving round the bay into the distance - to suggest you could walk round the bay. I'd even think about taking out the trees and just including choppy water. Hope this helps Arnie
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2011, 01:59 PM

I have had another crack at things,darkened the sky and details ,all comments welcome.Sorry Arnie,i had already started when i saw your post

Last edited by Trumper : 08-28-2011 at 02:02 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2011, 08:12 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

just in case you do it a third time

la
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2011, 12:40 AM
Lord of the Arts
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

Open the gate.
Check the ruts in the grass leading to the gate, would they be straight? Would they exist at all?
I am guessing from the dress and the Monoplane this is around 1910 - 1914?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2011, 04:37 AM

Thanks for all the replies,certainly lessons learnt.
I am not sure i am brave enough to go over it again so so i may just fiddle and try to put into place some of the suggestions in another project.
Here's a question ,how would you go about overpainting it if i decided to be brave enough.
I think you are correct about the gate,it would break up the conformity and add some depth and angles,Thank you you everyone.

La ,do you do lessons in photoshopping
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Lord of the Arts
Waterlooville, Hants, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Once its nicely dry, you could start by just moving the woman to the left. and not doing any painting out. Its a lot easier than one would think. If your not happy with the move just rub rework out with some turps on a tissue. With woman moved it will enable you to show road going off to the disance round the bay. Perhaps extend sea to the left also. Arnie
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2011, 08:54 AM

I don't think i am that brave.I think i will do a quick oil sketch with the idea of practising working over or rubbing out. THANKS
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2011, 02:15 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

i wouldn't suggest you touch this one any more ... you've got a lot of nice elements in it ... hang it up and move on to the next project.

fyi, oils do cover well, texture can be an issue ... adding to a very dry oil painting is great, mistakes, scootches, rearranging is easily done with thinners, but work with think paint until you're sure you've placed things where you want them, and how big/small you want them

la
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2011, 01:24 AM
Lord of the Arts
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

I agree with La, display this painting and gesso a new canvas.

While in the sketch phase with oils you can manipulate the placement and forms, while everything is in flux so to speak.

If it gets too out of hand you can wipe the whole lot off and start again. Using monotone is excellent at this point, you only need worry about one colour and the tonal shifts across that colours spectrum from light to dark. Though I would not let that get too complicated, 3 tones would probably cover most applications.

You dont even have to use any white, just thinned paint. For sketching in oils I just use some turps - drawing with the paint brush, correcting with a rag.

Sometimes a little chance and a nice brushstroke can just make you smile at the results.

When satisfied with the composition start blocking in

Regards
Andrew