WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum > WIPs (Works in Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Lord of the Arts
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia
Wilbur

Wilbur is a pig, inquisitive and interested in the world outside of his world.
Details:
Oil on canvas
12" x 12" (30cm x 30cm)
No preparatory under-drawing or under-painting (time limit - with another artist to produce an art work in 4 hours)

It has taken exactly 4 hours to get him to where he is, no background completed yet just a temporary horizon to place him in space....imagine that Pigs in Space.

I am not sure about the background yet and am open to any suggestions.

Also not sure about his nose and whether or not I should increase his width. I imagine him as about a 18 month old pig, so increasing his size would mean he might be older. Which is ok as he is not meant for lunch or dinner....or breakfast for that matter.

The pose, although not clear, is of him standing up looking over the fence of his enclosure out on the world.

Andrew

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago

Hails from United States
Re: Wilbur

I think the pig is adorable! I like him better than the cow, in fact. Well done on a four hour job!! He has a beautiful loose quality on the right side and on the left side of the nose. That seems to be missing on the forehead. It's up to you (and I dont' know about your reference) but I would work that area a bit.

Background... well, from my chair...if it isn't provided in the reference it will be my biggest problem...
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Oh Yes, he is a "terrific" pig! I also love the loose style and would not want you to lose that in this painting! As Theresa said, looking fantastic so far! Maybe look at some other piggy pics to get background ideas! =))
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Lord of the Arts
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

Thanks Deb, I have done a little more on Wilbur, and started some background. Then it was suggested that I blur the background to make it recede, so I have started that. I will post the reference. Decided to spend more than the allocated 4 hours on this.....and the pig needs some better definition on the right, ears, eyes. forehead....just about all over

I do intend to keep it loose, my natural painting style anyway.

Appreciate our input

Andrew
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Lord of the Arts
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

Deb and T here is the Reference I am working from.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Lord of the Arts
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

T thank you for your comments, you have given me some wonderful help with my paintings. I really appreciate that.

Andrew
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

I like the idea of a receding background, it will work well I think! It will give Wilbur more definition and importance if the background is blurred! You have made Wilbur into a slim pig, I am sure he would be very appreciative of that! Good luck and looking forward to seeing more. Cheers and to Wilbur too! What a "Clever" pig he is too! =)) I love pigs, they are adorable.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Lord of the Arts
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

Thanks Deb, yes I was thinking about pigs and people, it is remarkable how many people do like pigs. I certainly do, for a while I was thinking of getting a miniature pig....but well circumstances change. So I may just paint a few more instead.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

lol ! Yes, they are very endearing animals and get on well with people if treated with love and kindness. Can't wait to see more! I do love all animals too, and cows also have a natural gentleness and curiosity. Love your animals Andrew, keep painting more! =))
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Lord of the Arts
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

Thanks Deb
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Lord of the Arts
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

Well I am working on the background and also changing some of his features.
I think on the right I am getting the background to recede to the old white fencing but I would like comment on this or suggestions .
I always find greens a struggle.

Above his head and ears will be the side of a large green house, continuing the white structural geometrics.

Anyway here he is

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

I think the white fencing receding will work well, also the greens, although they can be difficult, they are a great backdrop for nature, animals, etc. So just keep mixing until you get the colours you want and they will do magic for you. In my opinion anyway! he looks happy with his green background Andrew!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
canada

Hails from Canada

Wilbur has wooed me into his world! He is really adorable. If I may suggest one thing....tackle one item at a time. Especially when attempting to "fill in" colour or background. I've done that with trees and they all come out the same. If you're going to add green to Wilbur's face, do it but not with the same brush or green that you've just used in the background. Fabulous piece! Can't wait to see more.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 07:47 AM
Lord of the Arts
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

Thanks Deb and thank you Yvie, Tackling one thing at a time is good advice, not sure I can follow it, leopard and his spots and all that

Here is Wilbur's progress

Andrew

The greens do look greener in life, will try to post an adjusted photo

Ok maybe not an improvement

I have decided with some advice from someone near and dear to leave the far background white, it is painted. I think it works, what do you think?

Andrew
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

I think it works, but perhaps just a faint hint that it is the side of a house might be good too? As in just a very blurred shadow or window sill or something of that kind of thing? To show that he is somewhere? Just a faint hint.... maybe =)) I love him though, he is very very cute!!!! I think he is questioning the viewer with his look and also trying to show us he knows more than we think!!! He is making friends with us =)) awww......