WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2000, 10:07 PM

Post touching it...how do you make a hard copy?

Hi y'all. This is my first post here.

Any of you want to talk about what you do to produce a hard copy of your on digital art? I'm curious about what other artists use to print their art with (and on) or any other options for turning digital art into touchable form.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2000, 10:35 AM
A Local Legend
Poinciana, Florida USA

Hails from United States
Easy to print to color printer (mine is HP722C) but problem is that image will fade. I've read that permanent inks are almost ready for market and Epson plans to have available this fall.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2000, 04:52 PM
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin

Exclamation

Jen De la Cruze aka pixelscapes, our resident leperopodist, has a detailed discussion on this topic in this forum

<a href="http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/Forum25/HTML/000019.html">Archival Printing</a>

HTH

[This message has been edited by dhenton (edited July 04, 2000).]
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2000, 09:41 PM
Enthusiast
Suburbia, MD, USA

Hails from United States
Arrow

Everybody beat me to the punch! I second everything already said by others...

For more details about what I do, see the article that DH pointed out (thanks for the plug!): http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/Forum25/HTML/000019.html

There's also more info on my site: http://www.pixelscapes.com/art/prints/

Hope this helps! If you have more questions, ask here... surely someone will have advice.

-=- Jen / Pixelscapes
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2000, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Nations
You should also visit http://www.wilhelm-research.com They have lots of tables on the stability of various inks and papers. An ink that is stable on one paper, is not stable on others.

Also, do you know much about file size and resolution? If not, you might be making art that looks fine on your monitor, but will not print well. You need several times the resolution to print that works fine on the screen. FYI.

------------------
Doug
Blue Spade Productions
http://www.bluespade.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2000, 10:23 AM

Hi everyone (ameliajordan, dhenton, bluespade, & pixelscapes), thanks for the feedback.

I just received a new printer (an Epson) and I'm curious as to what techniques/applications/novel uses other artists were using their computer art with/for/etc.(there is an actual sentence in there, somewhere, i'm fairly certain).

I've read somewhere that a photographer was using his printer to make negatives for platinum prints (which sounds interesting)—collages and things like that seem like a good possibility too. Are y'all strictly using your computers and printers to make prints as a final product, or is anyone using it as a step/tool in the process of getting to the final piece?

Thanks, Dan
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2000, 12:26 AM
Enthusiast
Suburbia, MD, USA

Hails from United States
In my case I'm actually using my Epson to produce a final product. Long as it's archival, I'm happy with it.

I can see other applications though... for example, to print patterns or colors onto paper that would be cut out later and assembled in a certain way...

-=- Jen / Pixelscapes
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2000, 05:04 PM
Port Moody, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada
Lightbulb

<FONT face="Trebuchet MS">Text</FONT f><FONT size="4">Text</FONT s>

One method of output to hard copy which is really cool yet doesn't seem to have fully caughten on yet (perhaps it's price and/or availability) is the large formt poster printers that are out there in most digital outputshops (maybe even Kinkos). They are about 12$ per square foot at the current going rate around these parts - NOT, in my opinion, outrageous for the final piece price, considering what you can get.
All artwork should be at the very least 100dpi of THE FINAL OUTPUT size 150dpi is a little better, though. This actually makes a pretty reasonably small file - at least a lot smaller than I originally suspected.

***The coolest part is the materials available. You can get it printed on imageable canvas that comes off a roll! Ultra wicked!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2000, 12:16 AM
Enthusiast
Suburbia, MD, USA

Hails from United States
Miles,
While it's true you can get things printed out large-format at copy shops, there's still a basic problem or two with that...

1) If you care about archival issues (and you should, for the sake of your clients), then some random non-archival wide format printer like those found in all copy shops... that's not going to do the trick. Some copy shops will claim that if you get it laminated it'll last forever, but that's not really true.

2) Let's say you want a 3 by 4 foot print. At $12 a square foot, that's $144. You spend $144 to get a not-archival paper or canvas print at 150 dpi. Compare that to spending $150+ at say, an Iris service bureau, to get something the exact same size that IS archival... not to mention that the Iris print will have a much much better optical DPI.

I know not everyone will agree with me, but in my analysis... if you're looking for something to really sell to a collector, wide format, then the copy shop just won't cut it.

-=- Jen "Been gone a while" Pixelscapes

[This message has been edited by pixelscapes (edited August 09, 2000).]