WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2000, 03:42 PM
North Dakota, USA

Hails from United States
Post pixelation

Have been using Corel PP4 and Have recently upgraded to Corel PP 9, but haven't learned how to use all the new tools and adjustments.
I'm hoping to get less pixelation with the new program. Or does that require a higher resolution setting???? When I ask a question I really don't know what I'm talking about, only guessing, but I do need answers.Granny
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2000, 03:48 PM
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin

What do you mean by 'pixelation'? You may be running into a question of printing DPI vs. Screen based. A monitor is max 72 DPI. I paint digitally, and paint twice my target size. Then I reduce the image and unsharp mask if needed. This obscures brush marks. Try reducing your pictures and seeing if the "pixelation" looks better.

HTH
------------------
"Art is anything you can get away with." -- Marshall McLuhan

[This message has been edited by dhenton (edited April 02, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by dhenton (edited April 02, 2000).]
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2000, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast
Suburbia, MD, USA

Hails from United States
Smile

Right, Dhenton's got it!

It may also depend on whether you're painting/viewing in 256 color mode instead of 16-million (or more). That would definitely add to the "pixelation". Saving as a GIF would do it, too. (That sounds elementary, I know... I only mention this because when someone else asked me a similar question, it turned out that that was the problem!)

Now, I'm going to turn this into a dissertation on DPI and PPI. If you know this already, ignore me.

PPI : points (or pixels) per inch. This is
the resolution of your source image. "Pixelation" is usually a function of PPI.

DPI : dots per inch. This is the number of dots your printer can cram into an inch. The source image size doesn't matter -- the printer prints at the same DPI, according to the size (in inches) ascribed to the source file.

Basically when you see "pixelation" on your image (for example... when you zoom in onscreen, or if you print), it's a function of the image resolution. As stated, the monitor shows images at 72 ppi. (pixels per inch). If you want to make the image larger, or if you plan to print, 72 ppi isn't enough...

For example, let's say I did an image that is 432x576 pixels. Now, that's a nice comfortable size on my smaller screen, but if I wanted to print that at monitor resolution... 72 dpi... it would be 6x8 and I would be able to see individual pixels, unless it was a very smooth image to begin with. If your brushes had hard edges or you used lines, it would be VERY obvious.

Now, one solution as DH suggested is to work at twice the size... that can work. I usually calculate it differently though. I say to myself, "What size do I want to print the final result at?" Let's say I want to print at 6x8 inches. I calculate that at say, 150 dpi. That tells me my source image should be 900x1200. If I expect to have hard edged lines, I might use 300 instead, or do some of the things DH suggested to smooth it.

Now, if that's too big to work with easily, or if you have an existing image you want to print without "jaggies", there is a way around it. It's NOT perfect since it can give you fuzzy edges... But, here's what you do. Let's use a 432x576 72 ppi image as an example.
http://www.pixelscapes.com/jen/misc/dpi/dpi72a.gif

Now, that pic is REALLY looking jaggy because it's totally aliased (sharp edges). Blurring or resizing can change that look.

Here's what it looks like after resampling the image to 50% of the original size, then back up again: http://www.pixelscapes.com/jen/misc/dpi/dpi72b.gif

And here's what it looks like after resampling THAT one 50% of its original size, then back up again: http://www.pixelscapes.com/jen/misc/dpi/dpi72c.gif

Now, it's true that the resampled images give an illusion of smoother lines... but, you lose a LOT of detail by doing that. Softening (or blurring) gives you a little more control. See this example, the original image softened slightly: http://www.pixelscapes.com/jen/misc/dpi/dpi72d.gif
Looks much better than the others, doesn't it?

Here's a combination of techniques: I softened and then resized 50%, then back up again. This one looks best of all. http://www.pixelscapes.com/jen/misc/dpi/dpi72e.gif

As you can see, these techniques can help avoid that hard edge on lines that gives that stair-step, pixelated, jaggy effect. However, softening or resizing an image can REALLY kill your detail, tiny textures or dots, and so on... The best thing to do is either 1) learn how to get your paint program to make strokes with softer edges, or 2) work at a much higher size than you need to, so all the details are bigger (so to speak) and therefore softening or resizing won't hurt them as much.

Sometimes it can be hard to work on a larger image, just in terms of size onscreen... if your program allows you to work while viewing the pic at a 1:2 zoom factor, that can really help.

Hmm, did this make sense? I didn't get much sleep last night.

-=- Jen / Pixelscapes
http://www.pixelscapes.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2000, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast
Suburbia, MD, USA

Hails from United States
Talking

Oh, and another amusing but pointless factoid... once upon a time, the word "pixelated" meant:

Behaving as if mentally unbalanced; very eccentric.
Whimsical; prankish.
Slang. Intoxicated; drunk.

Basically it meant you were enchanted by pixies.

-=- Jen / Pixelscapes
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2000, 01:28 PM
Canada

Hails from Canada
All paint programs use a Raster based format ex. Adobe Photo Shop. Corel or shape graphic programs use Vector formats. Rasters are like bathroom tiles. Shapes or vectors deal with math. All depends on what your trying to achieve. In Raster images you can’t avoid the pixilation but you can work in a higher format such as RGB 24 bit/ 16.7 million colours. or Greyscale 8 bit/ 256 colours or Bitmat 1 bit/ 2 colours. This doesn’t change the tiles but does change the complexity of the image as well as the file size. Something you might consider when sending your files.

2 to the 1st power = 2 colours (1 bit ) Bitmat
2 to the 8th power= 256 colours ( 8 bit ) Greyscale
2 to the 24th power= 16.7 million colours ( 24 bit ) RGB

This might help if your trying to understand your file size. Although if your working in Layers this will increase those sizes.
To sum up pixilation is not what your trying to avoid but control depending on what your trying to achieve. Brushes in Adobe use a method called feathering. Still use the tiles but fade the corresponding tiles to give a smoother look. Hope this helps.