WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2003, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Santa Clarita, Ca

Hails from United States
Ali,

You are doing a great job on this. I noticed in the second scan you are getting a lot of good depth and contrast with your pencils, a great effect. I am anxious to see the finished piece. You are indeed a CP artist.

Best regards to a great person and friend,

Ron
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2003, 08:42 AM
Never, Never Land!

Hails from Peru
Hey Jazz, No worries....we all just want you to feel better.

Your work is coming along nicely. It's hard sometimes to get around to it though, because life is a busy place sometimes.

Your lily pads are simply gorgeous...so just keep going. Can't wait to see it completed. Marcela

www.marcelasalcedo.com

All works of art are copyrighted and may not be copied, reproduced or downloaded without written consent from Marcela Salcedo 2003.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2003, 11:21 AM
A Local Legend
Back in The Land of Poopy Diapers

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Jazz
LEANNE- Thanks sooo... much for taking the time to comment Leanne I know you are very busy so it means a lot, especially as I greatly admire all your artwork!! So thank you so much for saying that it is looking 'Incredible' I am trying to believe it myself, LOL , so thank you you are a star!

Well, you should know by now that if I don't say it if I don't mean it and I'm not shy about pointing out problems. So, believe it.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
eugene, oregon

Hails from United States
Ali,
This is absolutely WONDERFUL!!!!
Raye
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom
I now have my third progress shot to show you, boy!! it is like getting blood out of a stone trying to get progress shots scanned and uploaded here!!! It is certainly testing my patience levels, lol. Anyway, here it is -

Unfortunately -this image totally SUCKS!!!! I am not competent enough when resizing and altering contrast and saturation and so this poor copy is the result!! I am sorry about this, hopefully my next shot will show what my picture really looks like, not too mention the fact that one of the sections I am unable to use, my Dad had a problem with his computer while he was saving it to floppy for me and we thought at the time that it had not effected that section. I did not realise until this morning that it is unusable and so you will have to imagine that bit!! I am soooooooo..... fed up!! I SOOOOOOOOOO....... WANTED TO SHOW YOU A DECENT QUALITY COPY OF MY ARTWORK SO FAR!!!

Oh! well tell me what you think if you like -I don't expect much so don't worry about it. This really is an appalling copy I am utterly dismayed by it! All the trouble I have to go to in order to get my art scanned and this is the CRAP result!!! The original scan is actually of excellent quality but HUGE!!! in file size and dad had to split it into 4 pieces on 4 seperate floppy discs in order save it for me!! So IT SUCKS BIG TIME!!

Lots of Huge Hugs,

ALI (JAZZ)

Last edited by Jazz : 07-07-2003 at 12:52 AM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Australia
Ali this is looking really great.Love watching grisaille take flight and you have achieved the flight so well. Even though the scan didnt turn out the way you wanted it is still great as it gives the idea of your overall piece and how magnificent it will be when its finished....mmmm now we will be really impaitient and scream more,more!!! I know all about being frustrated with uploading pics here at the moment since the new site has come online i cant use the uploader at all so Scott B is working on it as a few of us have had the same problem so hopefully soon it will be worked out.
Oh before i sign off MORE,MORE,MORE!!!!
Moo
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 01:40 AM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom
Hiya!! Moo ,

Thank you so much for being soooooo.... positive about what I have done, I guess I was just annoyed at not being able to show you the whole picture more than being annoyed at the poor quality, as at least you would have been able to make proper sense out of it with the missing section in place. Nevermind, next time it will be there come hell or high water!!!! LOL

Anyway, Again.... Thank you, your thoughtful and positive response has made me feel better . I got very disillusioned with the whole thing there for a minute but I am back on track again now -thanks to you .

I decided that I ought to add a brief....ish explanation to what is going on in my picture with regards colours and layers -: So here it is if you care to read it anyone-:

You can at least tell where I am going with this artwork and I think it is possible to see that I got it scanned whilst there were several different sections at different points of the layering process. The water on the left(viewers left) side of the image, just above the completed Lilypads is at the third layer, I have left the shapes where it is possible to see foliage under the waters surface and also highlights and reflections on the surface white until I have continued with my layering there.

Then above that there is the largest of the Lilypads taking shape and it is still possible to see my initial Grisaille work in Tuscan Red on that one, even though I have put 2 layers of Parrot Green and 1 layer of Chartreuse over the top. Next to that Pad is a small section which only has the first complementary layer of Tuscan Red and next to that on the far right is a section of leaf that has Tuscan Red and 2 layers of Parrot Green but no Chartreuse as of yet!

I have worked out the number of layers and what colours for the petals of the WaterLily flower and now they just need putting on the picture, BUT I will be finishing ALL the background foliage first and this is going to be slightly different from the reference picture in that, I found the original to be too busy and so I am going to repeat with some more Lilypads behind the flower instead. I think that will work better BUT I am most certainly open to any and all comments and advice about this and anything else in my picture .

The flower petals you will notice do have their initial grisaille complement on them which is Burnt Ochre, there will be a little more of this going on so as to create more dark areas on each petal but otherwise they sit ready waiting for the layers of colours to go on.

I probably have bored you ALL stupid by now, IF you have just read this!! So I will let you all peruse at your own leisure and let me know what you think if you want to .

Big Hugs to Moo and Everyone else,

ALI
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 04:58 AM
A Local Legend
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
HEY ALI... soo nice to see you today...
those leaves look like I could reach out and they would feel all wet and leafy....
don't worry, cause us artist types have GREAT imaginations (did YOU ever have that reputation in your family as having too much imagination???)
plus we mostly have gone thru this process at least once, so we understand what we're mostly looking at!!
OOO can't wait to see it progress at whatever pace you amange..
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Australia
Wow Ali....thanks for all the info..how on earth do you remember it all or are you a clever one and write it all down.I find that if i plan out loads of colours etc i can guarntee that the work all fails miserably.I have to pick and choose as i go and no way can i remember what colours i used..let alone how many layers or the tecnique......mmm thats if i have one of them.
I have though with the dolphin im working on actually and this is almost like "stop the pigeon",importance,that i put the pencils i have used into a cup and set them aside to work with.
The graisille and the comp colour underneath i think you have gotten down to a fine art. I dont tend to work with that technique though the more i look at what you do and Arlenes latest WIP it is seeming to finally sink into this nutty thing on top of my head.
Its also excellent to see a piece like this in such varying stages as again it really allows you to fully comprehend whats going on and where you started and how it is going to end up...without getting lost in the middle.
"Keep on keeping on," as one of our Aussies (Rolf Harris)
used to say who i know believes resides in the UK.
Have a great day catch you soon.
Cant help myself have to ....mmmmm....yep trying to fight the urge......na cant do it.......MORE,MORE,MORE!!!!
Moo
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 09:40 AM
Lord of the Arts
State of Confusion

Hails from United States
Ali....it looks like you have totally been able to capture the effect you are working towards. This work is absolutely beautiful! You have a beautiful touch and this works looks elegant. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous work!

----------------------------------------
Art is a collarboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. Andre Gide
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 10:50 AM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States
looks great ali...keep it up...no excuses...
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast
Upstate NY

Hails from United States
ALI!!! Yah!! I'm so glad you were able to piece it all together - it looks fantastic, even with the missing piece!!! It's wonderful to see you making such excellent progress with this!!! Persistence!!! LOL Great job, hon!

I have heard the languages of the apocalypse, and now I shall embrace the silence.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 01:38 PM
A Local Legend
Toronto

Hails from Canada
I am absolutely impressed by your lilies and all the work you have done already on them. Actually I saved the thread link so I can look at it often...

Also, you have managed to join the three parts...! Great!!!
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast
Discovery Bay, CA

Hails from United States
WTG Ali,,,,, looks great so far,,,, keep it up!!
Gemma

All Artwork is copyright protected with all rights belonging to the artist, Gemma Gylling 2004.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Indianapolis, IN

Hails from United States
I think this looks most wonderful Ali! You are very brave for trying the complimentary grisaille on your first! It's taken me two years to try it!

You're doing a great job, keep it up!

Julie