WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2019, 11:12 PM

Paper similar to newsprint that won't yellow?

I make mixed media work, mostly out of paper. I use clayboard as my support. I also use acrylic paint. Sometimes I build up acrylic paint forms quite substantially and parts of them get covered in newsprint, which I rub away in places. Then I paint the newsprint in watercolor. The newsprint generally absorbs the paint well. HOWEVER, I dislike seeing my pad of newsprint turn yellow over time. I know that the newsprint within my work must be changing as well, though it is difficult to discern an actual color shift.

I was wondering if there was a paper of a similar thinness that is also absorbent but more white and not prone to yellowing that I could use in my work?

The closest thing I saw was bond layout paper at the store, but I am not sure it will absorb paint well.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2019, 09:19 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States
Re: Paper similar to newsprint that won't yellow?

Welcome! There have been discussions here before about what to do with newspaper. One thought is that if it is sealed well with an acrylic or resin layer, it won't yellow (at least it won't yellow as much). We don't know for sure that's true though. I tend to be cautious and make photocopies of the newspaper that I want to use on really thin copy paper. For you, though, this wouldn't have anywhere near the same texture, so I don't know that I'd recommend it.

Do you think you could add an isolation layer over your watercolors to prevent running and then seal it? There are some good sealants that have UV protection built in. Golden's makes some, as an example.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

I just had another thought. I sometimes use a sheet of plain white tissue paper with a copy paper "carrier" to print on with my regular printer. Tissue would be much thinner, but it might react with your watercolors more like newsprint does. Just make sure your ink is archival and gets a chance to thoroughly dry before you use it.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2019, 04:40 PM

Hello, thank you for your comments. I am talking about newsprint paper - not newspapers...... the blank thin paper people draw on.

I do use isolation layers, but because I know the paper changes "properties" so to speak over time, it makes me want to move away from using it.

isn't it more than just UV exposure that causes these papers to yellow?

Right now I use this one:
https://www.dickblick.com/products/canson-xl-newsprint/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2019, 01:52 AM
A Local Legend
Edmonton, where summer is just a couple of bad weeks of skating.

Hails from Canada

I would look at artist quality rice papers (made from the pith of the rice paper plant), because I think some of them come in similar light weights. I think you will want to avoid mulberry-based papers, which are sometimes called rice paper as well. The longer fibre of the mulberry bark will prevent it from being easily rubbed away. Good luck.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2019, 08:39 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Yes, mixedmess, it is the acid content that causes the yellowing change, as well as UV light, which causes fading. I have some pieces that are about 25 years old that have not changed appreciably once I sealed them, but I wouldn't sell them. 100 years is the test, but I won't be around that long
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2019, 05:53 PM

Someone at Dick Blick told me that it is because newsprint has more lingin in it, that is what makes it yellow. I originally assumed it was because it was not acid free.

From Wikipedia:
Newsprint is generally made by a mechanical milling process, without the chemical processes that are often used to remove lignin from the pulp. The lignin causes the paper to become brittle and yellow when exposed to air or sunlight.

So maybe sealing it before it has a chance to yellow prevents it from yellowing that is discernable to me (for now, a few years). I don't use UV protectant until I finish a work and it takes me a very long time to do so. Right now I just use polycrylic.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2019, 08:23 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Lignins are not acids themselves, but they do contain carboxylic acids. Wood, vegetables, and paper that contains lignin give off acids as they deteriorates.

"This deteriorates cellulose and other sensitive materials nearby, as well as the cellulose fibers within the lignin-containing paper itself."
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2019, 09:34 AM
A Local Legend
Chattanooga, Tenn

Hails from United States

Sekishu rice paper is one I've used a lot, but there is another one which is thinner and it is student grade. It's called Unryu and comes in rolls. I had a giant roll and used it a lot.
C&C always welcome

Last edited by Bevahlee : 04-16-2019 at 09:41 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2019, 03:56 PM
A Local Legend
Edmonton, where summer is just a couple of bad weeks of skating.

Hails from Canada

Unryu is a mulberry paper. It is nice and thin, but you may find that it doesn't rub away as completely as newsprint, which is a very pulpy shorter fibre paper.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2019, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi L
Lignins are not acids themselves, but they do contain carboxylic acids. Wood, vegetables, and paper that contains lignin give off acids as they deteriorates.

"This deteriorates cellulose and other sensitive materials nearby, as well as the cellulose fibers within the lignin-containing paper itself."

OH MY! Thank you for the information. I wonder if sealed under various acrylics if it deteriorates as much or gives off acids that harm the rest of a mixed media work. I definitely want to step away from using it..

The Unryu paper looks interesting, but I don't want the fibers to be visible... I guess "short fiber" is what I'm looking for. I should look into more Japanese paper types..
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2019, 12:11 PM
A Local Legend
Chattanooga, Tenn

Hails from United States

I always sealed my rice papers..some unpainted and some painted with Novaplex 235 (the thinner acrylic) and it would not deteriorate at all.
C&C always welcome
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2019, 05:49 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

The rice and unryu are very good ones.