WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 12:14 PM
A WC! Legend
Southern Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: **** Daily Wash - Monday 11th November 2019 ****

Light snow here, glad I have a lift to dancing! Am at the stage of pre Christmas urgency where I have about 4 things started and not finished, but at least they all remind me of what needs doing!

Here are some things I have been working on

Lovely arrangement QS!

Have chuckled over our autocorrect experiences yesterday

So bare, Annie, but the livestock have survived so far, hope that continues.

Alcohol, I don't drink either, migraine trigger for me unfortunately. Can have a small glass white wine with dinner, just to drink a toast and that's all.

Remembrance Day, I was touched by this on my knitting website this morning, knitting for the troops

"During the war the women and children at home in Australia knitted for the troops and these items were shipped via the Red Cross to the men on the front line.
For security reasons, they were forbidden to write any letters to the men however one lady wrote a little poem and stuffed it in a sock for the soldier to find.
It was found tucked into his diary for safe keeping.

Knitted in the tram car
Knitted in the street
Knitted by the fireside
Knitted in the heat
Knitted in Australia, where the Wattyl grows
Sent to some poor soldier, just to warm your toes

Knitted by the seaside
Knitted in the train
Knitted in the sunshine
Knitted in the rain
Knitted here and knitted there with this soft refrain
May the one who wears them
Come back to us again"

Sorry for your loss, (((JJ))), it touches me too, my mum died on this day 27 years ago, just short of her 83 birthday. A bleak time of year.

I watched that video Char, sad and yet inspiring, they have been through so much. My dad never really recovered from WWII, he did get a small pension, and some psychiatric help, but not until 20 years after the war. He kept himself busy with absorbing work, never ever talked about the war, and managed to survive into his 80's.

Yes Bill, some of that problem here too, especially for the mentally affected vets.

Well, a rather mournful post. Greetings to all, I hope your days go well

"Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

Last edited by LynnM : 11-11-2019 at 12:18 PM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Beautiful work Lynn, they will be well received.

Moving poem.

Had a hailstorm here, less than pea size though and all gone now.

Doug
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 01:15 PM
A Local Legend
Northeastern Ont

Hails from Canada

Everyone,
Itís bright sunshine but the snow is crunching underfoot and itís about -10.

Just a quick visit here today. Iím babysitting Maverick all day today and tomorrow and wouldnít you know, he has a cough and sniffles. Iíll drive him back home at 3:00 to get the other two off the bus.

Iím going over the numbers from the car dealership. They hadnít even given us a final price when we went in to discuss everything. I called this morning to get him to email me an itemized list of charges and he was surprised I wanted it. The payments are just half of what the salesman originally quoted me. Iím going to make an appointment with our bank to see if they can give us a better deal. Iíll also look up some of these charges he has listed and see if they are trying to get extra out of us.

I am so thankful for all those who served during any military combat. Our lifestyle today is due to their sacrifice.

I need to get my housework done while Maverick naps so Iíll keep this short. Have a peaceful day.

www.ellenspalette.com
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
Peterborough, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Hi Everyone

I have been watching the remembrance day ceremony from Ottawa!
My son in law has had 9 overseas tour's, it is always a worry for my daughter, as he has been injured on two of those tour's!

Beautiful knitting Lynn and lovely poem!

It is snowing here too Char!!!

Sorry about your friend JJ

Have a great one!

http://sharonamer.blogspot.com/
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 01:36 PM
A WC! Legend
New Canaan Connecticut

Hails from United States

Doug ,
Limoncello ia a BIG favorite in my family and has made many gifts from me, many times . You can make it, but the real thing is best and expensive AND IS BEST DRUNK OVER ICE .
It is delicious ,no kidding .
Char u have wonderful boys !!
june

http://blogmomcom.blogspot.com/
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 02:04 PM
Immortalized
Plano, Texas

Hails from United States

Good morning. I slept in this morning since I was up too late. It is raining here and temperatures are dropping.

Steve, Your war summary is point on. My father and three of his brothers served in WWII. They all returned home. Only one saw bad combat, and he still suffers from PTSD. It was so bad at one point, he could not even drive his car 20 years after the war. I think he finally got help and his life got better. He is the one that is still living at 96. Of course, our oldest granddaughter is in the USAF in the intelligence division.

Uschi, Outback has a program where you give them your mobile phone number as your membership number. After three visits, you get a 50% off one meal. When we get one, that is when I get a filet mignon and John gets a rib eye or prime rib. Ironically, the 50% meal counts toward to next reward. Cannot beat that with a stick!!!!

Ellen, You are smart to try to get the loan through the bank.

Lynn, Your presents will be treasured. Hope the doctors can figure out exactly what caused your problems.

Char, I bought the smaller air fryer to try it out. If it does not work as promised, I am not out much money. If it does work, I will upgrade. After I get done posting, I am going to try to make the donuts out of refrigerator biscuits. They donít taste like donuts, but they are still good according to the reviews I have read. I have found real donut recipies in their book and online. That will come later. Today, I need easy.

Annie, I am glad that you are prepared. I hope the winds shift, and you do not have to execute your plan.

Tom, So good to hear from you again!

Off to make some silly donuts.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 02:55 PM
Immortalized
Plano, Texas

Hails from United States

Had to share with everyone.....first make in my air fryer.

Roll of regular biscuits, brushed with melted butter. Baked each batch for 4 minutes turning half way through. The chocolate topping was a cup of melted whipped cream from one of the cans of whipped topping. Added 1/2 cut of chocolate chips. Stirred until melted. Drizzled on the ďdonutsĒ. Best part, there is very little sugar in them, and they taste good! John liked them.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 03:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Ontario, West of Toronto

Hails from Canada

Good Afternoon!!

Being cold outside doesn't cut it but sitting inside one's warm house while the snow flakes are coming down is different, it feels really good and sooo cozy

I am glad I did the shopping yesterday, very mushy/slippery on the roads. We have had about 2 1/2 inches of snow so far and more to come, I didn't realize we were expecting that much. I just hope the roads are clear tomorrow when I have to take the car in.

Char, I will have to talk to superbaker again on Thursday. I am sure she said that the workmen just fixed the leaks from the inside and I didn't hear her mention that is was outstandingly expensive. Mind you, that was quite a few years ago.

Hi Ellen, smart woman

Nancy, you are very astute in figuring out those deals to be had The "fake" I just had to use that word donuts look really good.

Now you see, if I were as polite as Audrey I wouldn't be asking this BUT June, how is the stent coming along???????

Lynn, the knitting and the yarns are gorgeous!!!

I listened to my hour long talk radio program and, of course, as they should, they were talking about Remembrance Day and the soldiers sacrifices. One of the guests, a 99 year old soldier who was stationed in Italy was reading from his diary and at the end he said "war is so stupid, all this suffering, not only for us but the other soldiers too. We captured them, and they were just like us, normal, ordinary, nice men, fathers and sons and we were shooting at them" and he carried on "the poor people who lived where we were stationed, their families killed, their homes bombed out and lost, so much suffering, war is so stupid". YUP

Uschi

Last edited by Uschi : 11-11-2019 at 03:27 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 03:59 PM
WC! Guide
Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi there washer buds,

I'm SO GLAD that I didn't have to drive in to work this morning. I awoke to snowy, blowy conditions and it's nice not to have to drive in it. I actually haven't driven since breaking my wrist. I could be content to just stay home in my house and not go anywhere. I've always been a homebody.

I have my doctor appointment on Wednesday. I'm thinking I'll be going back to work next Monday. I just keep telling myself "two more years....only two more years." One good thing is that I just had my 18th anniversary at work on Oct. 16th and got all my new vacation days. I'd carried over quite a few too so I probably have about 8 or more work weeks of vacation plus my discretionary days too. I'm going to take more days off too. If the place would close we'd probably lose all of them anyway.

Justin has asked when we are going to put up our Christmas Tree! He said he likes the lights softly glowing in the evening. We usually put them up around December 15th. Maybe this year we will do it earlier since Josh is coming the first part of December.

Ellen, I sure hope you don't catch the cold that your little one has. Those little ones are "bug" magnets. I hope things work out with your new car decision.

Nancy, those look delicious! I love Outback.

Lynn, those gifts will be wonderful for the gift recipients!

Char, I'm glad you decided to stay inside on this snowy Autumn day.

Kelsea was hear around 11am this morning as she has today off. She said the roads were really bad.

Larry had to go in for 3am and probably tonight too as yet again they are without a die-setter on the night shift. I HATE that department but every time I talk to him about it he shuts me down so I really don't feel sorry for him. I have wanted him to bid on another job for years now but he always says he knows his job inside an out. I realize this but it's putting a lot of wear and tear; not to mention mental stress on his body.

Veteran's Day; we should be so thankful for them all and pray for them too. It's also Larry's sister's 62nd Birthday. She's been off work for a knee replacement but when she goes back on Dec. 16 (Justins birthday) she is retiring. She is lucky but has a husband who has been retired for a long time now and he has a pension besides his social security. And they own their home free and clear. I'm happy for her because she's worked two jobs most of her life and not easy jobs at that. She worked for Mental Health, taking care of handicapped people and in nursing homes and as a nurse assistant. She did a lot of lifting and has had back and neck surgery.

Carolynn I hope your day was just as nice as you hoped it would be!

Annie, so dry; it must be really scary having the fires so close. I hope they get them under control soon.

Well, I still want to paint so I'll just wish you all a great day and send good thoughts and healing vibes to all in need.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 04:15 PM
By the shores of Lake Michigan

Hails from United States

Good afternoon, everyone! Snow has tapered off from the system storm, and we're waiting for the lake effect snow to start--up to 8" but with lake effect we could get a foot or 2". Quite unpredictable. At least we have provisions, so we can stay in and watch the weather outside. Unfortunately, the leaves on the trees and bushes are causing branches to bend and break, so hopefully we will keep our power.

Veteran's Day is always a somber time of thankfulness and contemplation for the sacrifices made for our freedom. We need to do more for our vets--from the special interest stories on the news, it seems like there are many resources available. I know that's not the case--so much more needs to be done!!

Uschi~ I have an iPad and MacBook Pro, so I don't know what can be done for autocorrect. I will have to investigate. Sometimes I'm thankful, other times I'm very annoyed.

Char~ I hope you and Ted have a good day. The mushrooms thankfully can wait until the weather clears. Good plan! Thanks for sharing the video--I'll watch in a bit! ❤️

Ellen~ there are those hidden fees everywhere! The cable bill is ridiculous, yet to call and complain yields nothing, usually. I hope you are able to get things sorted out. Buying a car is one thing, figuring out what you're paying for is quite another. Last several times we bought them through my husband's credit union and were able to work with the dealerships, who honored the online price. Not sure how it works, but it made us feel that we came out ok. Good luck!!

Rachel~ I hope the rain stays away from you. Never good to get soaked when it's cold outside.

Lynn~ lovely knitting, and the poem was lovely! Those sentiments remain the same over the years!

JJ~ so sorry for your loss! ❤️

Hi Doug, Bill, Steve, June, Tom, Carolynn, and anyone else I've missed!

~ Carol
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 04:22 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky
Good morning all

Thanks for the report CaRolynn, l would love to see a photo of your front garden.

((Char)) you have fine sons.

Hi Tom, good to see you.

Hi Nancy, never found much meat on chicken wing

Quite a menagerie, Annie, padmelon, turkeys and cockatoos. So you have a grab and go bag in case the fires approach?

Just a morning knitting group for Ruth, the church. Hall is closed. I'll do some shopping.

Has anyone tried the liqueur Limoncella? Our friend loves lemons and I thought it might be a nice present for her.

Dull here and quite breezy.

Doug

Limoncella, I have tried it, lemony but I did not like it.

I bought some sardines in lemon juice from Waitrose,

if thats any use
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Immortalized
Plano, Texas

Hails from United States

Uschi, The ďfakeĒ donuts are delicious. We have some leftover for dessert tonight.

JJ, Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Darla, I think you are on the right track of taking all your vacation in case the company folds up. Sorry, you have to go back to work. I love being a homebody again. You will probably be on the same schedule as John and me. Up until 1 a.m. and sleeping in every morning.

Off to go get dressed. The rain has not fallen that hard, but it is getting very cold outside.

Last edited by NancyR : 11-11-2019 at 04:42 PM.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 06:37 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

It snowed all day. We have a few inches on the ground and with the temperature falling below zero, it'll stick around at least until tomorrow.

I was very productive, though. I worked down in the Studio, mounting several small paintings on black mattes. I took apart the big paintings I framed last week, photographed them and then re-framed them. Done and done.

Ted wants the cabbage rolls that I had frozen a couple weeks ago for his dinner. I'm going to enjoy a chicken pot pie that I just have to assemble from frozen leftovers. Easy Peasy.

Thank you, Lynn. The CBC was very kind to us. Jon was not allowed to tell us that he'd been wounded and was holed up at the Kandahar Base. The CBC contacted us, sharing this video and letting us know that he was just fine. He still carries the shrapnel next to his spine.

I love your knitting and your knitting poem!

Hiya Doug... at least the hail didn't stick and since your garden is mostly done for the season, nothing was ruined.

Ellen, what a rigmarole you're having to go through to buy your car!

Sharon, Military families share that experience everywhere, eh?

How are you feeling these days, June?

Nancy, your little doughnuts look tempting!

Uschi, the SealTec man offered us two options. They would lift and dispose of our poured cement patio, dig down to the bottom of the foundation and seal the wall outside. OR, they would jackhammer the cement floors inside to a width of 18" around all the walls, dig down and seal them inside. Nope, nope and nope.

((Darla)) Two years will pass by quickly and you'll finally be able to settle in and do all the things you love. In the meantime, use up that vacation at will!

Carol, the beauty of canning farmed mushrooms is that we can get them any time. We ran out of jars awhile ago and we're missing them because they are really that good!

Rod... eeeuuuw

I'm off to the kitchen!

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 07:07 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Char, has your basement leaked before? I seem to remember a problem with a window frame. Is there a definite place where it is leaking?

Doug