Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Framing a large canvas

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SuzannahK

Hello, all. Posting this here as this forum seems to get more traffic and my question is time-sensitive.

I have had a painting accepted in a juried art show, and now I need to build a frame. It’s 48″ x 60″, and I am wondering if I can just build a frame like I built the stretcher bars, with mitered corners, and screw it into the painting itself (through the stretched canvas).

Any thoughts on the best way to do this? I did a search and didn’t see anything.

TIA :)

redfang

I’ve seen people using furring strips to frame canvases that size. It’s cut to size and nailed to the edge of the canvas. Mitered corners would certainly elevate the frame. :)

"If influenza was only contagious after symptoms appeared, it would have died out thousands of years ago. Somewhere between tool using and cave painting, homo habilis would have figured out to kill the guy with the runny nose."

Mike L

What you suggested will work nicely, as will a frame created with butt joints and mounted the same way.

Another method of attaching art to frame, depending on thickness of stretchers, might be pocket hole joinery so the screws aren’t visible.

Being a life-long wood worker, my concern would be laying out the frame pieces for assembly. My shop is pretty small so I’d have to find a suitable surface (3/4″ plywood cut just over-sized might work) that is not only large enough for the layout/assembly, but flat, too.

Hope you’ll return and show us what you ended up doing with this project. :thumbsup:

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

SuzannahK

I will miter the corners; I have a chop saw and made the stretcher bars myself, so this is definitely in the realm of my experience.

Thanks for the tips on the furring strips. Other wood of that type (craft quality but a little heavier, like select pine or oak) only comes in 48″ lengths.

I wonder if, for a painting of this size, a 1″ x 2″ might be better. A more substantial frame for a larger painting.

Thoughts?

SuzannahK

Being a life-long wood worker, my concern would be laying out the frame pieces for assembly. My shop is pretty small so I’d have to find a suitable surface (3/4″ plywood cut just over-sized might work) that is not only large enough for the layout/assembly, but flat, too.

I have two folding tables in my studio that I used as a work surface when I made my stretcher bars. I was going to use those, or just the floor (which is where I stretched the canvas). It’s not ideal, but they are level and worked fine.

bongo

I will miter the corners; I have a chop saw and made the stretcher bars myself, so this is definitely in the realm of my experience.

Thanks for the tips on the furring strips. Other wood of that type (craft quality but a little heavier, like select pine or oak) only comes in 48″ lengths.

I wonder if, for a painting of this size, a 1″ x 2″ might be better. A more substantial frame for a larger painting.

Thoughts?

I would also consider using 1″x3″ to set your painting a bit more off the wall and give it more presence. Since your painting is on stretched canvas and not panel, the extra weight I don’t think would be a problem.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                            STUDIOBONGO

fdi1001

You might consider frame corner braces and or a bracer bar across the frame especially if it will get handled much by people that do not understand how to handle large frames.

Owner Frame Destination
                                Framing Blog
                                Frame Store

jocko500

You might consider frame corner braces and or a bracer bar across the frame especially if it will get handled much by people that do not understand how to handle large frames.

that so true even with smaller art, I could not go and put my paintings in an art show so i had a friend take them. I find out all my art was rejected. Didn’t know why as these people had given me a one man show one time and say they love my art. Well I went to get my art and when I got them the fasteners that hold the painting in the frames was all loose and ready to fall out. I guess the person who brought my painting to the show had stack them and may even put other stuff on top of the paintings to loosen the fasteners at lest that what i think happen as the people of the show would not tell me.

ideas is like the stars in Heaven, just grab one and hang on and if it do not work out grab another one:)

DK4242

Thoughts?

We have a Menards locally here. I can get 8′ length 1×2 of Ash, Aspen, Maple, Red Oak and Poplar from them. They sell 1/4 and 1/2 sheets of hardboard too. The Lowe’s and Home Depot here have a much more limited selection of 8′ lengths. Basically only Pine and Poplar, with everything else in 4′ and 2′ foot lengths.

You might also try some of your local lumber yards. I know most of them will rip wider lumber to whatever width you need. They will charge some for this and probably won’t rip really narrow pieces (think less than 3/4″).

bongo

If you are going to paint the frame — home depot sells pine “finger-joint” 1×2’s etc. These are pine strips that have been glued and comes painted white.

The good thing about them is they are very straight and true, something almost impossible to find in longer links of pine or poplar in their store.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                                            STUDIOBONGO

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.