Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Help with Color Match

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    jhogan

I need help creating a color match for a vase that I am restoring.

The vase belonged to my mother and the neck and top were broken.
        I have repaired the vase with bondo and now need to paint the bondo to blend in so that the repairs are not noticeable.

I am not experienced with acrylic paints or mixing mediums and would like some assistance getting close to the color of the vase. I can tweak a formula to get it dead on, but don’t want to buy 20 colors that are wrong to get to the one that I need.

The color of the vase is Pantone 16-4013 TCX Ashley Blue RGB value 134,153,171.

Can someone give me a rough recipe with brand and color that will get me started?

The finish on the vase is a matt satin – very little gloss.

Thanks,
        Jennifer

opainter

Hi, Jennifer!

I just posted a welcome message to you in the New Users channel, and am now responding to your post over here.

Others may be more knowledgeable about what type of acrylic paint, and what brand, might be best. (And if in fact that is the way to go.)

As far as the color is concerned, I double-checked, and you are right about the Pantone name for this color. Artist paints are not usually identified by Pantone name, that is more common with house paints and colors used in product design. The RGB value is more helpful to me.

This color is a grayish pastel blue. It immediately brings to mind the color Payne’s Gray, which, although a dark color, can be lightened to produce the color you are looking for (or something very close). I’ll let others chime in as to whether they agree with my suggesting that you use a combination of Payne’s Gray and Titanium White.

There are matte colors available in artists’ acrylics. One brand that is highly regarded, but not overly expensive, and which carries a matte line of heavy-body acrylics is Golden. They carry Paynes Gray (they spell it without the apostrophe!) in both their regular heavy-body line, their matte heavy-body line, and their fluid line (all artist acrylics), and probably in some of their other lines as well. If you go to their website you can see samples of their colors along with tints.

By the way, I’m not a shill for Golden! But they are good paints, and they are easily available most anywhere, at least in the US. Michaels does carry their regular heavy-body and fluid acrylics; I’m not sure about their matte acrylics. I’m also not sure if there is enough difference between regular and matte acrylics to make a difference when you are patching up a vase.

Before you commit to buy anything, though, see what other people here might advise.

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
            :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
            :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

jhogan

Thank you Al. I will wait for a some other member’s chimes before purchasing, but really appreciate the assistance.

maryinasia

It might be easiest and cheaper to buy a small boxed set of acrylic paints and mix this color, esp if you go to one of the big box craft stores that have coupons for one item.

another option would be to buy this exact shade in a bottle of acrylic craft paint…it’s more watery than tube paint, though.

Please note that acrylic paints often dry a tiny bit darker.

maryinasia
                        Patrick1

That is a blue-grey color:

http://www.hyatts.com/eCom/images/1/164013.jpg

A simple mix of black + white should get you close (almost all black + white mixtures produce a grey that is slightly blueish). Then if it’s not blueish enough, add a touch of a real blue (perhaps Ultramrine, Cobalt, or Indanthrone, maybe Cerulean, but not Phthalo) in tiny increments until you get just the right amount of blueness. If it’s too greenish, start over and try again with a more purplish blue (or even a mixed violet-blue). If it’s too purplish, try with a more greenish blue. Since you have the target color physically in front of you, you can judge the actual color better than here on a digital display…I’m just making an educated guess from the online sample I see…it may or may not be ‘accurate’.

Any brand can work (even cheap craft paints) but…cheap paints darken more as they dry, and most will lack opacity/coverage, requiring building up the color…making things a bit more difficult. It’s best to use fluid viscosity acrylics in a matte or satin finish like the vase.

Edit: I just read opainter’s suggestion of Paynes Grey + Titanium White. That might be the best and simplest mixing route! I would try that first.

jhogan

Thank you. I think I have the starting point and will be heading over to Michaels this afternoon. Will let you know how things go.

Gigalot

It is a perfect example to use CMYK for mixing this color, something like Phthalo blue +Quin Magenta + Lamp Black + Zinc-Titanium White. Personally, I use mostly Cobalt Blue + Caput mortuum + Vine Black + Zinc White. The second variant I often like to mix, is Cobalt-Chromium blue-green + Manganese violet + Raw Umber + Zinc-Titanium White

jhogan

I work in a bit of a different arena than most people on this board. I work with picking paint for homes. Neither RGB or CYMK really work for me, but RGB is readily available for most home paint colors and I can always get a value using my pantone capsure.

I convert all the RGB values to HSL values when I am trying to coordinate or match colors.

When using just titanium white and Payne’s gray I get a hue value of 240 and my target is 209 and the saturation was 10 and my target is 18, so I need blue to increase saturation and to pull the color slightly towards the greener blues and away from the purple blues.

The fun is in the tweaking and get it perfect when doing something like this project.

When working with clients I can often get them a match from a less expensive brand when the designers suggest an expensive brand or I can work with lowes/home depot to tweak their color formula to get to the right color when their machines don’t get it right.

Even with all the available tools for color matching, nothing works better than good lighting and the human eye, especially with lighter colors. The undertones in whites or light beige are almost non distinguisable using the Pantone capsure or the paint matching devices in a paint dept. But paint the wrong color in a home and suddenly it is a pink or green wall instead of a white wall.

Working to correct a color now where the client has light green carpet and white walls, but the white on the walls is pulling green. Not noticeable without furniture or artwork on the walls, but as soon as you hang a picture with some white in it the walls look green.

Pink undertones in tile turn all the builder beige colors into cheep pancake makeup on the walls. In the store they all look neutral, but how the colors play with each other in a home is a totally different story.

My solution is to have 8×11 painted samples so I can see what the different shades look like against the actual carpet/furniture/drapes. I don’t know how anyone sees what a color really looks like from a 1″ paper swatch.

I do my first test in natural daylight (either a daylight lamp or preferrably outside if the client has loose samples). This helps me see the subtle differences that I often miss in room lighting. Then I put the selections in the room with the lighting that is in the room. We pick our colors and then I let the client live with the color so that they see it in the different lighting of morning, afternoon and evening.

Mythrill

Jennifer, add some blue to your gray, e.g, Ultramarine Blue (PB 29) or Phthalo Blue (PB 15:3, PB 15:1, etc).

jhogan

Thank you for the help that was provided. My project worked out beautifully! I used Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty to fill the broken areas. When it was fully cured I used Grumbacher Titanium White, Payne’s Gray and Cobalt Blue. I used full strength color for the touch up and then added Liquitex slow dry blending medium to get some translucent color for blending. I then used Liquitex Matte varnish, only to find out that it isn’t really flat mat. Bought a can of Testors dullcote spray lacquer and it did the trick. Got the exact dead flat finish that was on the original piece.

jhogan

Here are some before and afters . . .

LynneDe

Beautiful job! One would never know it had been broken. Amazing, it’s like it is a brand new vase. You did an amazing job of matching it in texture and color. Blessings and congratulations.

As I will never take this exact path again may I not leave a kind word unspoken or a kind deed undone. May my life count for good, may the world be better for my having been in it when the final reckoning is accomplished. Blessings, LynneDe

Crystal1

What a beautiful match!

Patrick1

Great work! :thumbsup:
                                                                You not only matched the color exactly, but also the gloss level.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.