WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 09:59 AM

Smile "Baby Erin"

This was one of my early attempts in doing shadings. I used tissue and q-tips as my blending tools and HB pencil. I'm a self-taught artist and have not done any serious drawings for decades. I'm trying to learn more about techniques to improve my skills and I'm so glad to have found this webpage.

I would welcome your constructive comments because I'm pretty sure I would learn a lot from them .
Attached Images

Last edited by sam_daryl : 03-20-2012 at 10:03 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:11 AM

Hails from Norway
Re: "Baby Erin"

This looks good. The face looks proportionate and believable.

As for critics I think the right part of her nose is hard to read(from the very dark area to the bridge of the nose).
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Hello sam_daryl ... welcome to D&S. This is quite nice and proportional as Samhey said. I don't recognize a 2HB pencil - perhaps you simply meant HB ... For what it's worth, I use 4B, 2B, HB, F, 2H, 4H and 6H which is plenty for me. I am also not such a big fan of blending skin with anything other than graphite. There are some lovely textures that can show up in skin when graphite is applied gently in a number of layers using circlism and those textures would be destroyed if blended.

But this a lovely drawing nonetheless.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 11:12 AM

Smile Re: "Baby Erin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhey
This looks good. The face looks proportionate and believable.

As for critics I think the right part of her nose is hard to read(from the very dark area to the bridge of the nose).

Thanks Samhey! As for the right part of her nose, honestly the reference picture I have was just from a phone cam and it was blurry. The right part of Baby Erin's face was not really clear. Hopefully soon, her grandpa can give me a good quality picture so I can try and draw her again.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowHawk7
Hello sam_daryl ... welcome to D&S. This is quite nice and proportional as Samhey said. I don't recognize a 2HB pencil - perhaps you simply meant HB ... For what it's worth, I use 4B, 2B, HB, F, 2H, 4H and 6H which is plenty for me. I am also not such a big fan of blending skin with anything other than graphite. There are some lovely textures that can show up in skin when graphite is applied gently in a number of layers using circlism and those textures would be destroyed if blended.

But this a lovely drawing nonetheless.

Thank you very much! I'm reading some tutorials on drawing here on WC. They are really good and I can't wait to apply them in my future drawing.
If you don't mind, can you please tell me what is "circlism"? is that another drawing technique? where is it applied most? Hope to hear from you again
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
on my chair

Hails from Canada

Hey Sam ~
well if you haven't drawn in decades, I would say you have a good start.

And enjoy the drawing tutorials...

Ken, that is what I see in the stores at WalM and Staples, is 2HB and I don't get what that is. That is like saying the weather is nice. It's cloudy out. sorta, I mean I thought 2B was a softer HB.... so unless this is a softer *HB*? I don't know what the manufactures are doing, now, naming them 2HB.

Just saying I have seen them too.....

Blessings. IRma
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 AM
WC! Guide
Argentina

Hails from Argentina

Hi, Sam Daryl. When is about babies it all comes down to softness. The oulines of the baby eyelids are really thick, it could be better if you soften or merge gently those dark and thick lines into a tonal gradation.

Also the far edge of her face could be better by softening that ouline.

The same applies to all the features , maybe you could try to lift some graphite from the features `s outlines by gently touching with an eraser.

I am not sure about her mouth`s size seems a bit large but I could be wrong since we don`t have your image of reference to see.

You have done a very good work with the overall head and features`s placement .

Saludos

Luicre
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luicre
Hi, Sam Daryl. When is about babies it all comes down to softness...

Hi Luicre! I would keep what you said in mind. Baby Erin is my first baby portrait and I want to better for othermore baby portraits I would draw in the future. Thank you very much for all your inputs, really appreciate it!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 12:21 PM

Smile Re: "Baby Erin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amri
Hey Sam ~
Ken, that is what I see in the stores at WalM and Staples, is 2HB and I don't get what that is. That is like saying the weather is nice. It's cloudy out. sorta, I mean I thought 2B was a softer HB.... so unless this is a softer *HB*? I don't know what the manufactures are doing, now, naming them 2HB.

Just saying I have seen them too..... Blessings. IRma

Exactly what my pencil has on its tag - STAEDLER 2HB whatever that is.

Thanks Amri! It's been 3 decades since my last sketch attempt! I am taking the tutorials here very seriously and I hope to be better on my future drawings
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_daryl
Thank you very much! I'm reading some tutorials on drawing here on WC. They are really good and I can't wait to apply them in my future drawing.
If you don't mind, can you please tell me what is "circlism"? is that another drawing technique? where is it applied most? Hope to hear from you again
Circlism was first used in colored pencils as a way to get an even layer .. it works exceptionally well in graphite too. My way of using the technique is to use the side of the pencil with an underhand grip (palm down and held between the thumb and forefinger) and barely touch the paper - basically let the weight of the pencil be sufficient. Then move the pencil in small circles or ellipses so as to hit the tooth from all possible directions. If you don't push it will take a few times over the area before it begins to show value. Normally I will start with a 6H for lighter skin areas. Once I get enough layers on it so that no more value shows up I will go to a slightly softer value - like 4H and repeat myself. For most light skin areas I find I will use 10-16 layers overall. For darker areas it might be a few less as I will graduate to an HB or possibly 2B pretty quickly. Doing the application this way takes a bit of practice and it is not fast ... but you can get some good skin textures from it that just happen. Other textures, like directionality and pores must be added in a later layer. When I am finished I will often use a 6H or 4H to go over everything again .. this tends to balance the tonality and even things up.

You can see the texture in this which would be ruined by blending.

Also in this one ...

But the technique can also be used on animals although mostly for the eyes - it's quite useless for fur or hair. This eye has more than 24 layers ...

The biggest "secret" to believable and realistic skin is to have a wide range of values and smooth transitions between them.

Last edited by SparrowHawk7 : 03-20-2012 at 01:04 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 04:00 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_daryl
Exactly what my pencil has on its tag - STAEDLER 2HB whatever that is.
No mystery, but a bit sloppy from Staedler. It is a Number 2 pencil - office speak, particularly US. Which is equivalent to grade HB - artist speak .

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom