Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Framing Discussions Re-framing a painting with artist’s dedication

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lera

Hi all :wave:

I have a watercolor painting that needs to be re-framed as it suffered from silverfish due to the old frame. My problem is that on the back board there is a dedication by the artist which is very important. Further more I cannot use the same one as the new frame will be larger. Any brainstorming as to how to make sure the statement appears on the new frame?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Quint

Welcome to WC, Lera.
            I’m guessing the backboard you mention is the old mounting board for the watercolor? Is it possible for you to photograph the statement and print it then attach to the new backboard. I do this for my mounted art prints using double stick tape.

Quint Nikon Coolpix 990, Nikon Coolpix P60, Nikon D7000, Nikkor, 35/f1.8, Nikkor 18-140, Nikon SB700 Speedlight.

Lera

Thanks Quint for your idea. It is an option… It is actually the backing board and honestly I would prefer the original one. Maybe if I chose a shadow frame that is deep on the back and then attach it protected in a plastic bag. But then this frame is modern and the painting is from ’74. Or even frame it separately??

Quint

If you use the old backboard and attach it to the new mount board so you can see it from the back may be an option.

Quint Nikon Coolpix 990, Nikon Coolpix P60, Nikon D7000, Nikkor, 35/f1.8, Nikkor 18-140, Nikon SB700 Speedlight.

ArtsyCarolyn

I would imagine the dedication does not cover the whole backboard. If it does not, I would cut it down to larger than the dedication, but smaller. Than simnply glue it to the new backer board. I have done this several times when reframing a picture.
                        Carolyn

contumacious

Assuming first off that this is not an extremely valuable piece other than the sentimental value – I think I would either crop the dedication down and frame it, hanging it near the painting, or attach it to the back of the newly framed piece in a non permanent way such as in a poly bag or something like that.

If the artist is well known and the painting is quite valuable, then I would not alter the board bearing the dedication in any way and would make sure it was properly stored to keep it in good condition.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.