WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2020, 06:39 PM
By the shores of Lake Michigan

Hails from United States
Re: Copying the masters

Kaylen, I checked out that book description (Lessons of the Great Masters) and on your recommendation, I ordered it from Amazon. As if I need another art book! It looks really interesting, though, and if not, I’ll blame you! :-)
Thanks for posting on this thread! Can’t wait for it to come!

~ Carol
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 11:31 PM

Hails from Australia

Not sure if it’s of any interest, but there’s a handmade watercolour maker on Etsy.com that sells a Winslow Homer's set of paints. Might be fun to check out and compare to the poster above on this thread who lists his pigments.

Etsy seller is called ‘poemsaboutyou’.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 12:01 AM
Enthusiast
Comfort,Texas

I said his other book was very good
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylen
Let us know how good it is,,as I said above his landscapes from Imagination was very inspiring and well done

I'm halfway through. I am just starting to get to exercises.

I really like it as it sets up a lot of methods for making studies from masters. He emphasizes learning to identify mark-making, color harmonies, etc. in order to study them vs. making a direct copy. So far I find it very useful. I mostly use watercolor for portraits or figures but Turner's a favorite of mine and I think there's a lot I can learn here.

One exercise I did was using some of my cheapest synthetics, I really pushed what I could do with brushes, trying to use the heel of the brush more than the tip. I like the idea of using cheap brushes to really abuse and end up with tools that can make interesting marks on the page (my nicer brushes will not be abused this way however!)
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2020, 07:24 PM
DC

Hails from United States

Sort of along the idea of copying the masters, you might be interested that the Smithsonian has launched an open access portal to its collections. https://www.si.edu/openaccess

Loads and loads to browse there, including high quality images of Homer, Hopper, Whistler, and other famous watercolorists. But I found just browsing through watercolor as a topic some extremely interesting pieces, not on display. There were some very interesting ones done during the wars. Stuff you don't normally see, and probably never will as they wont be put on display.

They have also done 3D digitization of some objects, good if you want to see something from all sides.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2020, 07:39 PM
Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylen
I said his other book was very good

😂