WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2003, 05:33 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
Oh thanks you guys. I really hope she likes it and please thank her for posing!!!! She was a treat to paint, very beautiful skin and alot of special character, and doing something she loves.
I can't tell if she really has a lazy eye. I think I worked so loose that I just did nto pay real great attention to where I was droppign her pupil. I'll double check the reference as it was hard to tell really. if she does have a lazy eye, than I'd rather leave it.
OK, Dana. I'll get it from you when you send it.
Joss
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2003, 07:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Amazing.............thank you so much for this terrific wip..

The lady is just going to be over the moon when she sees her portrait

JJ
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2003, 11:18 AM
A Local Legend

Beautiful, JOSS! You're so lovely to share your talent, not only w/us, but with the subject. I know first-hand the treat of receiving a Joss portrait!

I don't have any nits w/this work. You are such an artist that you are able to use your technical skills to meet the style of the portrait--this lady should be painted more loosely, so one can 'feel' the soul. I'd like to see you go even a bit more loosely--some splats and splatters--I agree, the incidentals are what make watercolor so exciting.

Please do a WIP on your gorgeous daughter--the image looking out the window--I tried and failed miserably. Your photography skills are as exciting as your watercolors, making it impossible for me to paint, but I'd love to see you do it.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2003, 05:32 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
Hi Fookie: Thanks so much! Yes, I know what you mean about looser. I could have spattered some colour around. I guess I just find that I paint how I paint and this is as loose as it gets for me! lol
Sure, Fook. I would be glad to do that. But, I have to do it in Jan. I am busy and dealing with some other stuff that is taking up time.
Hope all is well!
Thansk again everyone for all your generous support and comments.
Joss
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2003, 05:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Massachusetts

Hails from United States
Joss...Your explanations and descriptions were so clear....I felt like I was tuned right in to your thought process! Thanks for your generosity in sharing this beautiful painting.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2003, 07:02 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Philippines
So impressive Joss... and after looking at your website, a nice branching out of your talents. Dana Design, dying to know what the model thinks... this is definitely a hall of famer!

Bobby
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Dana Design

baquitania,
Have not received the painting from Joss as yet but I've called the Blues Mama and told her I'd be seeing her very soon. Told her about the painting and wanted to email the finished page to her but she doesn't have a computer. Even laughed when I asked her.

She's been phoning me tho' and can't wait to meet me to pick it up. I'm so excited for her. If you knew her, you'd know why! She's a real honey!

Dana
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2003, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
Port Harcourt

Hails from Nigeria
Beautiful and highly educational Joss.

www.ozioma-zart.blogspot.com
Instagram www.instagram.com/oziomazart
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2003, 10:22 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
Hi All: Thanks baquitania.
Sorry Dana! I have all kinds of paintings to pick up from my framer and was going to do one big shipping run. I'll send it today for you Express.
Thanks everyone. You are very welcome.
Joss
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2003, 02:55 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
I was working on something and a thought came to my head. I realize that alot of the portrait samples seen of mine, there are no reference photos posted for interest sake. What seems to happen alot is that people assume that because I work from photos, my portraits are probably copies of photos pretty closely. If I did provide the reference material I had to work from, most people would be aware that this is not the case. The Blues Mama demo is a good example of how many of my portraits differ from my ref material. Please be assured that I am bringing this up just to educate anyone who does not know that about me, since I will most likely be doing other demos in the future. I am nto negatively commenting in regards to copying/not copying. Anything I do has some amoutn of "copying" in it.
One good example of a painting that I used huge amounts of ref photos for is the Frog Pond one. I had to draw out all the kids working from many reference. One was not even in the main reference photo. I cannot recall which kid it was now. I also drew alot of the pond by imagination and painted from imagination.
My style causes my work to be on it's own, separate from the reference. Yes, some paintings I purposely want what I caught in the photo to come across. My more "photo" realistic pieces seem to want to be like that on their own and I paint to that degree instinctually with certain subjects I choose. My watercolour portraits seem to be the most different from my reference. My detailed acrylics closer. Sometimes I really truly don't want to lose the great aspects of my reference. Those tend to be more "photo realistic'" if you will.
This is not intended as a discussion starting comment. I just thought this info about myself and the type of artist I am would be good to throw out there to everyone. I love high realism and I do feel the need often to go to that level. I do what I most love always. Alot of my personal work is challenging. I do that on purpose for me. My commissins I don't consider there a need to be a challenge. They are jobs and there is certain expectations from clients. Likeness is the first one.
My main concern in painting for me, whether I later sell it or not, is to be true to how I instinctually want to paint. It differs sometimes but I do have a style that runs through and crosses into each piece and medium I do.
I have been asked about an airbrush demo in the New Year. I may do one in the Spring. We'll see.
Thanks all. Happy Painting!

Last edited by jocelynsart : 11-19-2003 at 02:58 PM.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Dana Design

Joss,
What you've stated is exactly what I've been thinking of late especially in view of a statement that challenged (in my interpretation) whether realistic art was art. When I see a photo that begs to be painted, I paint it realistically for the simple reason that I love what I've seen and want to reveal myself also within the painting. Every brush stroke reveals who we are.

When I paint en plein aire, I could easily take a digi-photo, take it home and paint it. However, I prefer to paint it as I see it then and there. So, what's the difference? I'm painting the same thing, no? The trees, beach, rocks, light, waves. How will they change from the moment I take the photo to the moment that I paint in the light and especially, the stationary items.

Your last para re realism/non-realism is my take, also. I was told yesterday that my stuff is loosening up. That's nice. It's an evolution no matter which way the evolution takes us. Only those who narrowly observe one type of art as true art are non-evolving.

Wish you'd taken this to a new thread. T'would be interesting to hear from more folks.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2003, 04:21 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
Hi Dana: You make great points!
I just wanted to state it here so that people who see my work without the reference know that this Demo is very close to how I approach and complete my portraits. Some end up loose, some more tight. Size effects this, the thrill of what is in my reference effects this, whether I am feeling a certain mood effects this, how long I end up spending, good/bad reference definatley effects look of portrait, etc. If I get a terrible photo ref like a 60 year old outdoor one with all the detail in the eyes darkened out with severe shading and the client really really wants something done, I'll approach it in a more expressionistic or loose style, tryign for an essence. I did have one like that and they were so thrilled. The client gave me pics of present day relatives that had passed down feature similarities. It was a fun, successful portrait in the end.
I think there has been alot of threads on the subject mentioned. Many in the debate forum. I give up responding on them. It is a never ending useless debate. Such a waste of time now.
One thing I will say is that realism seems to sometimes cause non realists and conceptual artists to assume I think I am a better painter. Never would I ever feel that way. That would be a bad feeling to me. Every artists paints how they feel a need to I hope. Not so much here, WC I don't seem to get that, more other places and real life. How little people know about me to take that stance. I really admire all styles and am blown away by very many different artists.
I just wanted people who follow my Demos or view my work to really know more about me as an artist. Most from WC!
NOTE: PAINTING IS SHIPPED!!!! WILL TAKE 7 DAYS. PO RECOMMENDED A PHOTO ENVELOPE. Cardboard inserted too.
Joss

Last edited by jocelynsart : 11-19-2003 at 04:27 PM.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2003, 05:00 PM
Dana Design

Joss,
OK, I understand what you're saying. I suppose because I've been here such a short amount of time I didn't realize that prior discussions had taken place. Yes, that debate will go on and on ad infinitum ad nauseaum.

Interestingly enough, at this early stage of my oil painting, I think I paint carefully and rather "tightly", however, as I paint more and more, the end effect is that most of my works (not posted on WC) appear loosely painted.

Thanks again for your generosity! With the painting and with your teaching!
Dana