WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2019, 10:02 PM
Cape Cod, MA, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Welcome to What's On Your Easel......September 2019

!becca - this one is gripping: very expressive... I like the bold and somewhat unexpected palette.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2019, 04:42 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

ik, thank you....the palette for this and really the past couple is from a mix combo I tried about 5 years back and am now revisiting it as I like the tones I get...

hoping tomorrow to get a drawing down for the next...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2019, 09:40 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2019, 05:43 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Michael...that looks very much like pastels to me, I know it isn't just the look it has...are you painting with raw linen canvas?
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2019, 06:57 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
Michael...that looks very much like pastels to me, I know it isn't just the look it has...are you painting with raw linen canvas?

It has clear gesso on it.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2019, 10:32 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Yes, Michael, the clear gesso...that is how mine are made too...haven't painted one for a very long time, but plan to do some in the future...have had the canvases forever...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2019, 02:03 AM

Name:  817ADB6B-D704-46D5-86D4-A7B3314B6F0D.jpeg
Views: 111
Size:  290.1 KBThis started out as a poster study exercise from Juliette Aristides Lessons in Classical Painting. Then it morphed into a bunch of other stuff and now I don’t know what I’m doing. As you can see, the initial drawing (face, arms,) was off. Oh, and the neck and shoulders and, well, everything if you really look at it I’m still trying to salvage her arms and hands, but I’m afraid her face has exploded I got a bunch of new tubes of paint and am having too much fun to discipline myself right now to do anything but try to get her skin color right compared to the printed picture of the painting I have. The actual painting is much lighter but the image I’m working from is kinda dark.
Anyway, I’m planning to put this out in the sun tomorrow for 2 solid hours then get back at it.
Oh, btw, this is a “copy” of Pandora by Jules Joseph Lefebvre

Last edited by Zippoah : 09-16-2019 at 02:07 AM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2019, 01:27 AM

Hails from Romania

Well, I've been lurking for some time, I guess it's time to post something too

I've started this more than a month ago, when the news of the Siberian wildfires broke, before the Amazon story. (things are bad, really, really bad)

It was intended as a reaction piece and I hoped that I'd finish it in a few days but I have no self-control when it comes to adding details, so, as it progressed the trees kept getting better and better until those on the left side looked nothing like those on the right side. So I had to go back and repaint almost half of them.
Also, I stubbornly decided that I'll do all the details in brush instead of using my trusted Isographs, dumb move It would've cut my work time almost by half. :shrug:

anyway, there it is, more than a month later still unfinished.

Name:  IMG_20190927_070615_s.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  563.9 KB

top left, or somewhere around there
Name:  IMG_20190927_070637_s.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  461.9 KB

bottom left:
Name:  IMG_20190927_072411_s.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  629.6 KB

middle right
Name:  IMG_20190927_081040_s.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  839.1 KB

bottom right
Name:  IMG_20190927_081902_s.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  790.4 KB

p.s. - really? image limit of 800px? on a painting forum?
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2019, 11:06 AM
Cape Cod, MA, USA

Hails from United States

Zippoah - I don't think you are well served by obsessing about structure... you are off to a terrific - dramatic start. Handling the paint in a way that feels good is a hint that you are working right. I applaud this painting already...
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2019, 11:08 AM
Cape Cod, MA, USA

Hails from United States

Drgutman - such dynamic brushwork...can't imagine it could have been improved by any other technique. BTW - what is an Isograph?
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2019, 11:17 AM
Cape Cod, MA, USA

Hails from United States

Before we turn the calendar page... by which time I hope to have another installment of my larger WIP, "Battement" back on my easel... thought I'd post this little piece I did yesterday, in part to "limber up" for the larger canvas...
Attached Images

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2019, 02:25 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Zip, I like the effort so far, guessing you may have progressed more now...maybe time for an update...

dr, lovely brushwork, don't regret the decision, is working out splendidly...very dramatic piece...

ik, great work with the softness of this...

I have just gone through (and really ongoing) a sudden change of residence so have not been painting for a while...life comes around sometimes and demands attention...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2019, 10:32 AM

Hails from Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchatham
Drgutman - such dynamic brushwork...can't imagine it could have been improved by any other technique. BTW - what is an Isograph?
&!becca
Thank you both very much

An Isograph or Rapidograph is a technical drawing pen used in drafting (architecture or design) that can be filled with ink. I use Rotring Isograph pens filled with acrylic ink. There is quite a large ink colour variety available so you can mix pretty much any shade, but I usually work with white ink because I can glaze any colour over it and create very vivid nuances.
Being a pen it allows for a lot of control of the line and speed, you don't have to constantly dip the brush (because I used only brushes in this painting I found that mixing the right consistency of paint to work with really thin brushes is a pain).
So, yeah, because it has a metal tip you can scratch into the previous layer in order to make sure that the acrylic ink catches into the oil. I'm sure some people will frown when they'll hear "acrylic over oil" because it might flake, but hear me out. I use really diluted paint (with turpentine and a touch of D309 alkidic solvent) when working on the first few layers and after I use the acrylic ink I keep increasing the oil content. Also, because I use isographs the acrylic paint is distributed in very thin lines that get trapped under the sequential oil layers.
Anyway, the isographs come with their own slew of issues, they tend to get clogged quite often (especially the really thin ones, under .35) and they're a bit of a pain to clean (I ruined quite a few nibs until I found that there is a special liquid, based on ammonia, that helps a lot). they're expensive, and the ink mixes tend to separate with the pigment particles at the bottom and the watery acrylic at the top. but the advantages make up for the disadvantages.
Maybe I'll post some sort of technique description in the future and the finished painting.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2019, 07:33 PM

Been about a month since I last worked on this but got some of the foreground water done tonight. Getting a lot closer to being done. I still need to de-whiten the glow around the sun/clouds. I had to use white b/c the color I wanted to use didn't stand out enough so I chose to create a white base and now I'll paint the yellow/orange over it. Then finish adding the minor details like small splashes to the foreground waves and add some more glowing water on top of the rock.

ks

Kevin Slaby
2002 Mustang - 902hp
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2019, 09:18 PM
Cape Cod, MA, USA

Hails from United States

Drgutman - thanks much! I love learning about new techniques and media.