WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2019, 02:23 AM

Inexpesive framing in bulk, ideas?

I am a hobby WC artist and have no intention of selling art at the moment. I would like to display them in my personal spaces, however. It is quite expensive for me to spend more than 15 dollars in framing each painting. I have paintings of different dimensions (non-standard). Does anyone here have a suggestion for inexpensive framing. Where do I buy frames or materials, and is it worth investing in matt cutters and other equipments to do it myself?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Inexpesive framing in bulk, ideas?

The cheapest place I've found by far to get frames is from thrift stores. Department stores that carry frames will sometimes have good deals or bargain sales also. Micheals and Aaron Brothers (if they still exists) can have good sales too.

Since you have some non-standard size paintings, you will want to cut your own mats as custom mats are expensive. I don't have any experience with this but there are lots of youtube videos that can show you the most economical way to do it.

Making frames with glass is expensive and more complicated than the glass-less float type frames I make.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2019, 09:19 AM
Big Spring, TX

I’ve been getting fames from a Goodwill store that’s close by. These frames were $5.00 to $6.00 each. I really can’t buy from a framing shop. I do my own “framing”.
The two on the left were bought on Thursday. Their inventory changes constantly.

Last edited by rickjf : 07-13-2019 at 09:24 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2019, 12:24 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prapanch
I am a hobby WC artist and have no intention of selling art at the moment. I would like to display them in my personal spaces, however. It is quite expensive for me to spend more than 15 dollars in framing each painting. I have paintings of different dimensions (non-standard). Does anyone here have a suggestion for inexpensive framing. Where do I buy frames or materials, and is it worth investing in matt cutters and other equipments to do it myself?

step one - STOP using non standard size canvas so you don't have to have custom frames. this will open up your options exponentially to cheap frames from thrift shops, box stores, garage sales, etc.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2019, 04:54 PM
Big Spring, TX

If you want to make your own frames try one of the wood work stores like “Rocklers “. They have frame making tools. Miter saws and clamps. I’ve made a 4 corner clamp setup and used molding from the lumber yard. It is a tedious task.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2019, 10:54 AM
Lord of the Arts

Jerry's has their "Plein Air" frames on sale, ending today starting at $10 delivered for an 8x10 with 3" wide moulding, black, gold, silver, white and mahogany. The mahogany frames are a nice color but they tried to make it look like wood grain, which I don't like. I still use them when the other colors just won't work, but I only get one box of them and several boxes of the others. They are standard cut moulding with glued and V-nail joined corners, so no worries about surface "gesso" cracking over time. For the money, I have not seen anything comparable.

You have to buy the boxes of 10 to get the "up to 85%" discount. Free shipping if you get over $35 worth of stuff. I just placed an order that will cover me for the next year for all my paintings that don't need higher dollar frames on them like the Omegas or custom cut. These are hefty, made with solid moulding not hollow plastic and look as good as the custom made frames from Michael's for a LOT less money, and way better than the $15-$20 crappy plastic Walmart frames that scream "I am a cheapskate!" for less money plus no sales tax.

8x10 frames $10.77 each
9x12s $12.15 each
12x16 $14.62 each

Similar savings on larger frames that come in 4 or 6 packs.

https://www.jerrysartarama.com/frami...e-style-frames
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2019, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast
Lake Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

I have collected some large frames that I am thinking of resizing down in size to fit my photos and watercolors. Collecting used large frames from the various outlets to resize should be an easy task and much cheaper than buying the molding to make new picture frames. By cutting down an existing frame you will have one corner already attached and you can cut the rest to whatever dimensions you need.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:19 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa-paw
By cutting down an existing frame you will have one corner already attached and you can cut the rest to whatever dimensions you need.
opposite sides of a frame have to be the EXACT same length or the frame won't be square. If you leave one corner connected it will be hard to do that. Better take the frame completely apart so you have four pieces and then cut the pairs to the length desired.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2019, 10:38 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa-paw
I have collected some large frames that I am thinking of resizing down in size to fit my photos and watercolors. Collecting used large frames from the various outlets to resize should be an easy task and much cheaper than buying the molding to make new picture frames. By cutting down an existing frame you will have one corner already attached and you can cut the rest to whatever dimensions you need.

Just watch our for V-nails and staples! The V-nails in particular are very hard steel and they can ruin an expensive Japanese miter saw blade or fine toothed carbide blade in a fraction of a second.

There are some really nice looking metallic finishes that can take a boring frame and make it look quite good and rather unique. I have never been happy with just spray painting regular paint on an old frame. The brand I have seen, but not used is the Modern Masters Metal Effects paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uhEWMabhU4

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ffects+ paint

If you already have the tools to cut down old frames, and have a business license, you can buy moulding from Omega when they run a sale and get free shipping and often really low prices.

Last edited by contumacious : 07-23-2019 at 10:49 AM.