WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2019, 07:39 AM

Composition made easy

Hi guys! I would like to know illustration rules to composition.
If i you like to make a painting, i will sketch the idea First, i will try to design the overall picture and test focal point, value, harmony, etc etc
But do u know or do u have any tips, i can put thoose step.one by one, print and check every time i have to do a paintig to memorize the fundamentals and by that trying to do my best?
Because now when i start a paint i feel ok, but also i feel imissing stuffs, and maybe if i have few step i can follow, in order, i think i will make better results!
Thanks so much
Have a good day!!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2019, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Composition made easy

Step 0: What is it about the scene/object/person you are about to paint that attracted you to paint it? Take 5 minutes to really look and to see. Maybe write down the title of your painting, or thoughts on what the title might be.

Unless you always paint on a single standard size support, you could at this time consider what the size/scale will be of your painting. Portrait or landscape.

Division of space and arrangement of the major shapes should be addressed in any sketches you produce at this time.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude j greengrass
Step 0: What is it about the scene/object/person you are about to paint that attracted you to paint it? Take 5 minutes to really look and to see. Maybe write down the title of your painting, or thoughts on what the title might be.

Unless you always paint on a single standard size support, you could at this time consider what the size/scale will be of your painting. Portrait or landscape.

Division of space and arrangement of the major shapes should be addressed in any sketches you produce at this time.
Thanks! The cool fact is that i would like to spent 1 month on a composition rather than 1 month for rendering 😂
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2019, 08:07 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel9546
Thanks! The cool fact is that i would like to spent 1 month on a composition rather than 1 month for rendering 😂

Although that may be an admirable attribute, I suspect you will not paint many paintings.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2019, 09:14 AM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

Design and composition are very broad (and deep) subjects. They are also very important subjects as you suggest.

A lot has to do with the subjects you may commonly paint, and your personal approach to painting, i.e., realistic, expressive, abstract, non-representational, etc.

Can you supply some more information...and use spell check?

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2019, 01:00 PM

I would like to make me a sheet of checklist that i can check while im doing the composition!
That would help my brain memorize the steps
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2019, 08:13 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel9546
I would like to make me a sheet of checklist that i can check while im doing the composition!
That would help my brain memorize the steps

Glean some ideas from here for your checklist.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2019, 03:14 PM

Composition is so easy to read and think about...makes such good sense...until you go to the easel! then one runs into problems of composition due to color, contrast, drawing, etc. These problems are almost unavoidable. Many artists do thumbnail sketches in monotones to get the composition right.

I don't know of a rigorous checklist on composition but there are definitely model compositions used often, i.e. L shape, oval, pyramid, etc. To me, art is less about rigor such as checklist and tools and more about intangibles like taste, feel, mood, etc. My $0.02.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2019, 03:02 AM

Thanks so much guys!