WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2019, 12:18 PM

Suppen Soldat (FOR STRUCTURED CRITIQUE FORUM)

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Suppen Soldat (FOR STRUCTURED CRITIQUE FORUM)
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 70x100cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
"Suppensoldat" translates roughly to "soup solider/infantryman". This painting was inspired by the fact that in Germany, everyone seems to toss Maggi into everything (I hadn't heard of it before I moved here). Hence it's a real "soldier" in the kitchen. I thought the soup ladle looked a bit like the helmet of a soldier from years gone by, and so the idea was bo<br>.

I cheated a bit, and changed the date on the bottle to numbers that were easier to paint. Much to my embarrassment, it was first exhibited in a group show in France, and it tu<br>s out that the modified date was the year when the Germans conquered the French in some war. Luckily no one noticed but boy was I ever worried, as it was a show hosted to celebrated the 50 year friendship between the German town where I live, and a French town that was badly bombed by the Germans in WWII. Needless to say I won't be exhibiting it in France again. :-)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I paint solely in the genre of photorealism. I moved to Germany a few years ago, and over here my fellow artists in the local amateur art club that I exhibit with tell me that my style of paintings aren't "art", that they are just technical exercises. Since I am self-taught and only an amateur painter, I have no way of judging how right (or wrong) they are.

Accordingly I am looking for feedback on both technical and composition aspects (including "is it art"?) in preparation for perhaps summoning up the courage to submit a small portfolio of my work to a gallery.

Btw just an FYI - the right side is lighter because of the light from a window falling on it when I took the picture. I tried to get a better (sharper) photo but didn't succeed as I only had my cellphone.

Thanks in advance for all comments!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2019, 09:18 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Southern Delaware

Hails from United States
Re: Suppen Soldat (FOR STRUCTURED CRITIQUE FORUM)

Anyone that would label this as 'not art' is full of crap. That is an elitist thing to say. They are deceived. Art is about expanding consciousness, and making art is about mindfulness. This painting proves that you paint with your eyes open. All the technical aspects are great. The triangle comp. the composition with the reflections, the colors and textures and variety of shapes. Would I myself hang it on my wall? Probably not, because of the subject. That's irrelevant. But it's a masterful work of art. Those critics are just jealous. You do a series of these and a gallery tour and. you will get representation I'm sure.

☮✞AΩ☼ My Website
My WC Acrylics Virtual Gallery

Last edited by Artchrispy : 08-30-2019 at 09:52 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2019, 03:27 AM

I agree with "Artchrispy" 100%. This is stunning. Just because we may disagree with a style doesn't mean it has no merit. We have too much of that crap in today's world.

Harry
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2019, 06:11 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Southern Delaware

Hails from United States

Thanks Harry! I'd like to add you can go in a lot of different directions with still life. Check out Daniel Sprick's articulated skeletons (you have to scroll down)
https://paintingperceptions.com/limi...daniel-sprick/

I would like to see one of your critics call Sprick unartistic to his face.

☮✞AΩ☼ My Website
My WC Acrylics Virtual Gallery
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2019, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Midwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightlines
MY IMAGE(S):

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I paint solely in the genre of photorealism. I moved to Germany a few years ago, and over here my fellow artists in the local amateur art club that I exhibit with tell me that my style of paintings aren't "art", that they are just technical exercises. Since I am self-taught and only an amateur painter, I have no way of judging how right (or wrong) they are.

Have your fellow artists never heard of Gerhard Richter?

Seriously, what kind of art do they view as legitimate? I'm really curious what the art scene is like there these days. I know there's not a lot of love for traditional realism outside a historical context. I've also never heard of street art fairs - are there any?

If galleries are selling photorealism, you should approach one that does. Are you trying to make a career out of it? This is a very accomplished piece.

My dad always put Maggi in his soup, but I was born in the US. It was available at the German deli! I think it's just glorified monosodium glutamate.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2019, 03:06 PM

Hails from United States

This is very well done. You should be proud, regardless of what the critics will say. Whether or not this qualifies as "art" to others is up to each individual I guess, but I think the skill and patience alone required to create something like this with your own hands and mind, regardless of whether or not a reference photo is used, makes it art. Without a doubt. Anyone can take a picture, but it takes something special to make a photorealistic painting. Maybe everyone else was just jealous.