WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2017, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Bolton, England

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Getting to Know Each Other

Well folks, a little about me. I'm a retired Production planning manager in the telecoms industry, building telephone exchanges. I have been retired for about 7 years. I started painting watercolours around 1999. Watercolours didn't agree with me, so after trying for about two years, I tried acrylics with a bit more success, however, just by way of experiment, I tried some coloured pencils, I was hooked. (No mess, easy to get out and put away, no smell, all around the ideal medium).

Once I retired, I joined my local art group, Westhoughton art group, a group of mostly retired people, who meet every Monday morning. We are a very mixed group, using all types of media, and regularly have visiting artists, although there very few coloured pencil artists doing the rounds. I started posting on wet canvas from the very start, posting in the watercolour forum, now I post in the coloured pencil forum, the animal and wildlife, and the portraiture forums.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2017, 02:52 PM
WC! Guide
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States

Nice to meet you Penelope!
Ours was named that for her patience and perseverance, she was a volunteer porch cat and stayed our outdoor cat (for two years or so) until my husbands very old and very tiny little old lady cat died (she was 17 years old). Then Penelope became a house cat and she loves it (we love her too).

Dianna
WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2017, 02:55 PM
WC! Guide
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States

Chammi thanks for starting this.
It's wonderful to get to know everyone and a bit about them!

Dianna
WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2017, 05:31 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Frederico. I really enjoyed reading about your life and admire your desire to leave traces of your existence behind with your art work. I had never really thought about it this way before. You have inspired me to think the same way.
Thank you for sharing.

Kay. I really like that photo of you and your house. It has so much character and somehow really reflects your personality. Bet those cats of yours all have completely different personalities.

Dianna, wow, what a job it must be to be a cake decorator. I'd love to see one of those cakes. How about a photo. It must be fun to be part of a Fantasy Symposium and get the chance to dress up a little. Great photo of you as a witch. Prettiest broomstick I've ever seen. Penelope should have been a black cat!!!!

Geoff. Nice to get to know you a little better too. You are very fortunate in England to have so many art clubs. I am always astounded at the number. Here in Germany, it is a rareity and more formal. I , too , love coloured pencils and enjoy working with them. Very thereapeutic. Unfortunately, they are also extremely time-consuming and time is a little scarce in my life. I do enjoy them when on holiday. (nice clean medium). Your CP's are just getting better and better.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Last edited by chammi kaiser : 07-11-2017 at 05:40 AM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2017, 07:35 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

ow Chammi, one of the characteristics that I can always see in Germans is that they can't write my name correctly !!!!! it always comes with the little "r" and then I have to redo the contracts, patents, registries, documents....
Once I was stopped in the airport because the guy in the travel agency wrote the name wrong in the Airplane tickets. 2h later in the counter they just let me go through (since no one claimed the seat)... sounds funny now, but then was not!
Last year the company paid around 700€ for changing my name in a patent application...
Quote:
"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2017, 09:32 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

So nice reading about all of your personalities and purrsonalities!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2017, 09:51 AM
New England

Hails from United States

This is great Chammi! I love seeing so many different people from different parts of the world and backgrounds with common ground.

I bit about me - by profession I am a Detective Sergeant with a small city police department, but initially went to school for art and have always enjoyed drawing. I have worked in the law enforcement field for the past 21 years and feel I can credit the life lessons I learned through art and the creative thinking process with success in what can at times appear on the surface to be a very rigid field. After many years of a break from any art, I picked up pastels and started working on animal portraits. I grew up on a farm with horses, dogs, chickens and pigs and have always felt connected with animals. I have a supportive husband, a 9 year old daughter who also loves animals and all kinds of sports and a super smart German Shepherd who makes me laugh every day. I have to fit my art work in around paying the bills, and family activity but it has become an important part of being connected to the world. I love this website and the support! So great "meeting" everyone!

Rebecca
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2017, 07:14 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Rebecca, what a difficult profession you have chosen. Hats off to you. Certainly this must have an influence on the discipline you have to have to juggle a family and career. It is great that you are finding time to draw and paint. Like you, I was really lucky to have grown up on a farm with all the animals that are part of a farming life. Thank you so much for sharing.

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2017, 09:10 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Hey Rebecca, reading about you is so interesting. When I was 32, I went thru our police academy here and worked in the reserves for 3.5 years...very amazing and challenging work until they stuck me in the vice undercover squad to do drug investigations. My family said NO, so back into nursing I went. Thank you for sharing your story and be safe!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2017, 08:35 AM
New England

Hails from United States

Kay I think there are similarities between nursing and policing! My family was nervous about the choice...and in my early years I talked to countless people who were surprised that they let a woman patrol alone.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Bolton, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff-UK
Well folks, a little about me. I'm a retired Production planning manager in the telecoms industry, building telephone exchanges. I have been retired for about 7 years. I started painting watercolours around 1999. Watercolours didn't agree with me, so after trying for about two years, I tried acrylics with a bit more success, however, just by way of experiment, I tried some coloured pencils, I was hooked. (No mess, easy to get out and put away, no smell, all around the ideal medium).

Once I retired, I joined my local art group, Westhoughton art group, a group of mostly retired people, who meet every Monday morning. We are a very mixed group, using all types of media, and regularly have visiting artists, although there very few coloured pencil artists doing the rounds. I started posting on wet canvas from the very start, posting in the watercolour forum, now I post in the coloured pencil forum, the animal and wildlife, and the portraiture forums.

Sorry about that, but it doesn't say a lot about who I am.

I'm 69, married to Jean, who is a pencil artist. She is very shy about putting anything up on Wetcanvas. As I say I'm married, for the last 45 years in August, all of them happy. We have two children, and one grandson.

As I said, I am a member of Westhougton Art group, but that is only one of about 8 art groups around where I live in Bolton in the UK. Our group is a very informal organisation, with many different mediums being used. We are a very varied bunch talent wise, some of whom are very good. We have one exhibition a year, so lots of time to get work prepared.

I am also a member of the UK coloured Pencil society. Although I've not exhibited with as yet, as my work is still not good enough. Maybe one day!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2017, 01:51 PM
Sherwood Park, AB

Hails from Canada

Hi Everyone! My name is Anita! I have been dabbling for many years but this year I am committed to paint! I am currently doing Pet portraits in pastel, scratchboard and acrylics. I am at peace when I paint and I am determined to do this full time. I have never liked my current profession, and it is never to late to start over right? I am in here often, only posted a few times but look up to all you - who inspire me to create
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2017, 04:09 PM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Geoff We shall have to do something about Jean. Tell her we are a nice bunch here on WC - willing to help and nasty criticism is frowned upon!!! I , for one would love to see Jean's pencil work. Apropos the UK Coloured Pencil Society - of course you are good enough to exhibit. Go for it.

Nita Good to get to know you. How exciting it is to eventually really commit oneself to painting in whatever medium. I can understand perfectly that a sense of well-being and peace is very much a part of painting. I feel the same. What is your current profession? Of course it is never too late to start. I have had students who were over seventy and total beginners who were really talented and ended up selling their work. What a joy for me as their teacher and for them to realise a dream.

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2017, 05:49 PM
Sherwood Park, AB

Hails from Canada

Mech. Engineering. So much stress and with the economy been very unstable for the past few years not a good profession to be in. As soon as I can I am going to paint full time !
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2017, 01:49 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

I hope it will be soon Nita.