Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Welcome to as What’s on Your Easel… November 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    !becca

Welcome to WOYE November 2016…Post your works in progress here so long as they are in oils…everyone is welcome!!! :wave:

for a more complete critique post in the main forum

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
        Becca's Fine Art

tpriest51

My first attempt in oil… coming out ok I think.

koumk

Nice tpriest51

Kostas

jobr

Nearly finished this one…

AnnieA

tpriest, great job so far on the boxer. Such a soulful expression!

jobr, interesting concept and nice sense of movement.

Here’s what I’ve been working on – almost finished! It just needs a few tweaks and fairly small corrections. As soon as it’s done, I’ll ask for comments/critiques.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                        [FONT=Palatino]
                        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

AnnieA

Dupe…sorry.

[FONT=Palatino]
                            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

moscatel

I posted my new (in-progress) painting in the WOYE and would love feedback from you all….

Annie, very well done! I showed your painting to husband too and we both give our thoughts. Glass material looks like glass. I think the mandarins are too much in line, but husband thinks they are ok the way they are now because they are in a slight curve. He thinks the bottle and mandarins are different level finished now, I think they are the same way finished as they are now. Also depends how far you want this painting to be finished. He’d like to see the two front mandarins that are in light better finished with more texture. I do like the flower a lot and the stalk is very well done. Have been fighting with that myself several times. The reflections of mandarins are superb. I also like a lot your Chardin copy in the last month’s thread! Excellently executed! :thumbsup:
                                Well these are my thoughts, and remember I’m not the best person to give critique.

AnnieA

Almost finished…

[FONT=Palatino]

Delofasht

Another start to another month, feeling my artistic spark returning, I have found that mid September until around nearly November are really antisocial weeks for me. I just don’t like people or talking to anyone, it’s like my hibernation weeks :lol:.

That aside, I am glad to be back into the swing of things and all the work looks great this month so far.

tpriest, excellent work for a first in oil, what mediums did you work with prior, how do they compare to oils do you think?

jobr, that’s some very surreal work there, zooming in on such a small detail gives for interesting work for sure (and difficult too. . . so much going on in so tiny a thing as a droplet).

AnnieA, wow that looks really nice there, the only thing that struck me as odd is the feeling of perspective, if the bottle top ellipse shows me that angle the the bottom of the bottle should be more rounded as it indicates our eye level is closer to the top of the bottle. Currently the ellipse of the bottom of the bottle feels too narrow and thus the feeling of the surface level feels unusual to me. That could just be me, or it could be the photograph, not really sure. Photographing work like this is always challenging to say the least.

And lastly, this is what’s back on my easel now:

The compression from size reduction has merged some of the strokes and lost a good bit of detail, but the general impression comes through I think, also the lighting is poor (I will one day buy a second lamp to light it from 2 sides for photographing, for better quality). I have yet to get much of the creek rendered yet, but I’m almost done with the top left quarter of the image, need to fill in some more leaves above the creek in front of the trees, and build up some more interest in the reflections on the bank of the creek on that side. After that I am going to be jumping around a lot painting over more abstract elements until I get it where I want. There are definitely a few things I am not happy with currently, like the fact that the darkest element is too near the center of the image or that it nearly lines up with the tree in the background, but I can probably push the background tree line around with some more foliage and lighten the foreground stump with some scumbling.

Thanks for looking everyone (not really needing any critique here, just sharing my work as it’s in progress). :)

- Delo Delofasht
                                        AnnieA

Delo, I think I remember your painting from a while ago. It’s looking lovely – the soft dappled light is wonderful and it’s a very inviting scene. I don’t think I would have noticed the dark element at the center if you had not pointed it out. You could always just repaint a little and move it to the left, too, although the scumbling idea would probably work just as well. I’ll be looking forward to the finale, which is sure to be stunning. Where is this anyway? It’s a beautiful area.

Thanks for the feedback on my painting, Delo! You honed in on one of the problem areas right away. I struggled with the bottom of the bottle. It actually looks the way I painted it – the curve of the bottle on the left just sort of disappears into the shadow below, the line of which is fairly true to horizontal and is what makes it look off somehow. I made further corrections after your comment and gave the bottle a tiny bit more curve by extending the table up a tiny bit on the left, and I adjusted the shadow line on the far left so that it’s more true to horizontal, although not perfectly. All of that was something I should have noticed when I did the still life set up. I also adjusted some of the interior area of the bottle to make it more transparent, as it appeared in the first image I posted. I am very busy today and told myself to stop painting, but I couldn’t help myself! I won’t take the time to post another photo right now though, b/c there are just a couple of things that I can’t correct until it’s drier.

[FONT=Palatino]

Delofasht

I am glad the feedback helps, AnnieA. I posted this work in progress at an earlier stage some time back, but have been very busy with some actual paid work so I was unable to come back to it for awhile.

It helps to have some other eyes on work sometimes for seeing issues, but oftentimes the best thing is learning to develop the eyes to adjust things oneself.

The area is Leonard’s Mill Park, it’s a beautiful area, a huge field next to a little creek leading to some tiny little ponds and wonderful wooded areas. Among one of the most magical places I have found in near Salisbury, MD, though to be honest pretty much anywhere in Maryland is beautiful in it’s own way.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                Delofasht

As usual I work on several paintings at one time and swap between them as I go through the day. I do not always post something on each as there are far too many in various states of work, and some that are just blobs that inspire me. . . and eventually I turn them into things like this, which is starting to approach the middle stage of the painting.

This is from imagination so there are a great deal of things I need to do on this to make it work right, and I probably need to rework some of the reflections here or there. I started with a blue underpainting that you can see through the pot in some places right now, and that was done on a toned brownish surface, after the blue dried I layered in some warm lighter colors to give it some form and sense of lighting. Now I’m building up the shadows and lighting more. I just decided today to add a pie in behind the apple on the right side of the image and some cinnamon in front of that pie tin so those are just blocked in rough at the moment and nearly disappear into the background at the moment. I felt there needed to be some green so I threw some random green splotches around but not sure what kind of leafy thing one might use in the kitchen, but as soon as I figure it out I’ll refine those to look like that, or I might just end up painting over them later.

After developing the forms for most of the objects, I start glazing some reds in. I go back and forth between glazing and then painting more opaquely as I build up the forms and make objects look the way I feel they should, once all the values and colors are about right I will likely deepen the values with more glazes and use that opportunity to use put more reflected light into areas and finally build up the highlights to the extremes lastly. It’s just a push pull back and forth with this process, and it’s not the approach I always use, but one of many that allows me to be very spontaneous with what I am working on in a given day.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                    Delofasht

Did a bit more on my apple and pot, but it’s still drying and very difficult to photograph, also did a bit on this:

Here is the shot from a couple days ago when I put the second layer on most of it:

I also had a shot from when I did the plein air portion but I can’t find the image right now.

Since this is a small painting 6×6 inches on Gessobord, I have also been working on several other pieces as well. One of which is that creek which has significantly improved but I want to do more on it still before I post it again. The pot and apple of course, and then I have a little one I started that I did an underpainting in Casein for.

Casein underpainting:

And the first layer of overpainting with oils:

I am absolutely in love with how the Casein remains absorbent and allows the oil glaze layer to dry quickly into it. This is on Clayboard which is also absorbent so my Casein layer was ready to paint over in the same day, less than a couple hours is when I went back and put the oils on, no lifting of the Casein. The oil areas are definitely slightly damp and glossy in some spots. I suspect it will be ready to paint over tomorrow, the initial glaze is thin.

This is my normal method of working typically, running 3 to 6 pieces at the same time. Small ones like these can be 4 to 8 easily, bigger ones like the creek are generally running 3 of those at a time and switching between them as needed to constantly be glazing a bit here or there, keeps it quite entertaining.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                        Delofasht

Super productive this month so far:

This is done with Blick Artist Oils mixed with a bit of my other brands because I don’t have their white or yellow yet. Primarily just their Perm Alizarin and Phthalo tho.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                            Dan-007

Goldfish

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.