Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Found old paint, will they still be good?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I found a bag of about 10 old oil paints, cant remember where they came from but I have a vague recollection of my husband picking them up at a garage sale about 10 years ago, if not more. I wouldnt have a clue hold old they may have been at that point. They are Grumbacher oils. Would they still be usable?

And if they are still good, do I just need some turps and linseed to use with them?

Bev

colin

Old Pre-Tests ? The ones made with cold pressed linseed ? They’re nice ! I am always on the lookout at yard sales for that kinda thing — rule is, if its still squishy its hopeful — but stay away from the cheapo old stuff like DeVoe and some of the Talens/Rembrandt stuff . Old Winsor Newtons are WAY better than new stuff — more pigment less filler .
        And too – old paint boxes fetch a decent price on Ebay if yer descriminatory about condition, quality when buyin — keep the paint, sell the box ! Or better yet , do a little painting on the lid of the box … maybe rub it down with Brie Wax or some other ageing thing
        Colin

Littlefield Gallery, Winter Harbor, ME[/url]

Colin Barclay Blogspot[/url]

Thanks, Colin. Yes, says Pre-test on the tubes. They still feel quite soft.

Its great to come across things like this. Tonight I was in a second hand store looking for things for still lifes. Found a book called The History and Techniques of the Great Masters, and also Rembrandt, his life, his paintings, by Gary Schwartz. Cost for both was $8, and the Rembrandt one is a large coffee table book.

Hmmm.. I just did a search and found the Rembrandt book for $93.10 US. That would make it about $140 Canadian (its the hardcover one). I paid $4.99. lol

Bev

slatter

Bev,

I’m currently using some Pre-Tested paint that is about 30 years old. As long as it was sealed and not dried up it is O.K.

Regarding the need for additional medium. I always add a little medium even if the paint is new. I’m use to a certain consistency and I continue painting that way.

The last oil painting that I posted, “McDonald Creek” used some of the old paint that I mentioned along with brand new paint depending upon the particular color. I didn’t notice any difference, which is a good indication of Grumbacher’s dependability.

Jerry

Luzie

I came across some old grumbachers in lead tubes (which you probably have to handle more carefully…then again when little my brother and I used to take out the lead strings from the curtain seams, they were used to weigh them down, and we chewed these:( and so far we are still fine today:) so it might all depend?
                Anyway, the old paint I have is performing just fine.

If you can't face it, moon it.

Pilan

ahhhhh! I am always keeping a look out for old paint. as long as its soft I buy it and usually its excellent to paint with.

garage sales are great if you come across them.

Thanks for your replies everyone. I’m pleased that I dont have to toss these out. I suppose eventually as my supply of water mixables runs out, I’ll lean towards traditional oils, since finding out its the turps and mineral spirits that are the things to be concerned about with fumes, not the actual paint. Not that I havent been pleased with the water mixables… I have very much.

Bev

MS_Triple

Speaking of Pretested Grumbacher, I recently began painting again after a gap of 12+- years. When I was shopping around for paint to replenish my supplies I could not locate anyone who recalled Grumbacher Finest Oils. The Finest line is still available in watercolor. I questioned the quality of Pretested vs Finest. The sales people at all of the stores carrying Grumbacher are under the impression Pretested is a professional level paint. 12+- years ago it was student level quality.

Many brands have dropped in quality if they have changed. I don’t know of any that have improved. Blockx and W&N have stepped down since being bought out. There are only a few that are still really good. Two of the best are Williamsburg and Daniel Smith (Autograph).

Does anyone have any knowledge of the fate of Grumbacher Finest Oils? I doubt they would step up a lower line. It makes bad marketing sense. I suspect they quietly dropped the better line and have been passing their student level off as a better level than it really is. It’s a loose misrepresentation, perhaps, when you bump up your student level paint by dropping your best line and using terms like “professional artist quality” and “finest pigments” to describe it. The terms are often thrown around and printed on a wide range of quality. I have been buried in digital and away from traditional mediums during this time. I was not around to see what happened. It looks suspicious to me.

Thanks,

M

colin

Grumbacher seems to have changed the name of thier artist quality paints a lot – i have some that read ” Finest “, some” Permanent Pigments ” some ” Pretest ”
                            In the last dozen years or so I thought the Academy line was always the student grade ?

Pre-test is kinda in between student and good paint – lotta fillers , but not too bad really, depending on what the color is . The older ones are better – esp. the ones made with Scmincke pigments from the 40’s ( there’s a little owl logo on ’em ) – i have some of these and they are nice as old holland !

Maimeri, in the midst of giant hype, launched a new line of paint couple years ago -“Puro”, that i guess could be called a bettering of quality by a paint mill – but its not such great stuff, and ridiculously priced to boot . I think thier Cobalt Violet is like almost 70 bucks ! and its not all that highly pigmented IMO …

ginatec

Nothing wrong with old oil paint so long as you can get the caps of with warm water and pliers. Watch out for the first bit that you squeeze out as it may be darkened from lead in the tube/paint. I am still using up some paints that I have had for thirty years or more in projects.
                                I don’t remember why they went to the bottom of the pile, but I am surprised now by the excellence of the quality we used then. Wish I had more!:D

Web Site :-http://perso.wanadoo.es/ginatec/

MS_Triple

[i]Originally posted by colin [/i]
                                    [B]Grumbacher seems to have changed the name of thier artist quality paints a lot – i have some that read ” Finest “, some” Permanent Pigments ” some ” Pretest ”
                                    In the last dozen years or so I thought the Academy line was always the student grade ?

Pre-test is kinda in between student and good paint – lotta fillers , but not too bad really, depending on what the color is . The older ones are better – esp. the ones made with Scmincke pigments from the 40’s ( there’s a little owl logo on ’em ) – i have some of these and they are nice as old holland !

Maimeri, in the midst of giant hype, launched a new line of paint couple years ago -“Puro”, that i guess could be called a bettering of quality by a paint mill – but its not such great stuff, and ridiculously priced to boot . I think thier Cobalt Violet is like almost 70 bucks ! and its not all that highly pigmented IMO … [/B]

Colin,

Grumbacher also had a really cheap line called Gainsborough during that era. I don’t think I have noticed the Academy line in oil. I think I have seen it somewhere for watercolor or acrylic though. Just does not make sense to rename your best line with a name that had been associated with a lower quality product. I think it was a switch done hoping people would not notice. Grumbacher must believe most of their customers are hobbyists who dabble from time to time.

What brand do you prefer? I like the “Autograph” line in Daniel Smith but I am willing to go with their “Original” line because the consistency is so great. They are not as pure but the quality is still very good. I use some of both. The pricing is relatively fair. I also have some of the Grumbacher Finest line left. I think Daniel Smith is high in integrity. Attention to detail and signs of quality are easy to see when dealing with them -packaging, customer service, speed, selection, etc. I do not mind if they do not offer every major brand. I also use Jerry’s Artarama for everything I do not find through DS.

M

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2321055818&category=28112

Oh man! Too bad there’s so many bidders. And only 3 hours or so left.

sigh

Bev

JamieWG

[i]Originally posted by BevL [/i]
                                        [B][url]http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2321055818&category=28112[/url]

Oh man! Too bad there’s so many bidders. And only 3 hours or so left.

sigh

Bev [/B]

Hi Bev. Don’t despair….I’d suggest you try a few brands before running out and purchasing a whole lot of Grumbacher Pre-tested paints. I’m not all that wild about them, though they are better than most of the student grade oils out there. You already have 10 tubes of them—probably significantly better quality than what they’re producing now, and those will give you an idea of the handling capabilities that you can use for future comparisons.

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                                        Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                                        [/url]
                                        One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

colin

What brand do you prefer? I like the “Autograph” line in Daniel Smith

Hi M,
                                            I mostly use Old Holland, but I like some of the Schmincke colors too – esp. thier Indigo is very unique, and thier Trans. Earth Brown is a very clean one for breaking mixes and glazes . Generally I like a long paste paste – and I havent found any paints that match Old Holland for pigment loading — if ya do the draw downs side by side with other paints its pretty clear, and that kinda makes up for some of the extra price .
                                            Ill have to try some of those Autographs tho — any esp. good colors I should try ?

MS_Triple

[i]Originally posted by colin [/i]
                                                [B]those Autographs tho — any esp. good colors I should try ? [/B]

Colin,

You might not like the Autograph DS. Many colors are almost black they are so pigment concentrated however they do not have the additives so the consistency varies. Some could be soupy, others like toothpaste and others smooth butter. All are thick. I do not paint impasto and they are very nice for my needs. I use a pallete patterned after the color and pigment characteristic ideas of Wilcox:

Cad Yel Light, Cad Red Light, Cerulean Blue, Chromium Oxide Grn,
                                                French Ultramarine Blue, Quin Red, Quin Violet, Pthalo Blue,
                                                Pthalo Green or Viridian, Tit White, Yel Ochre, Burnt Umber,
                                                Burnt Sienna, Hansa Yellow.

I do not like worrying about archival character and lightfastness. I read a lot and try to absorb the knowledge and create a routine that allows me the freedom from this concern. I am using a safe pallete, mix the right colors to avoid mud, avoid mediums, paint primarily alla prima, blah blah-

DS has a slew of unique colors that I have not tried. I avoid those because I am not clear what they are and any color should be obtainable from this pallete.

Go to http://www.danielsmith.net and look at the beautiful array of colors to choose. Some pigments are very unique. Lapis Azuli is new and especially interesting.

M

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                              • The topic ‘Found old paint, will they still be good?’ is closed to new replies.