WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Falmouth MA

Hourly rate for teaching private lessons

I have been asked about teaching private watercolor lessons, one on one. Do any of you do this and, if so, what do you charge?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2019, 01:05 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kolkata

Hails from India
Re: Hourly rate for teaching private lessons

Education is like real estate, location location location ?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2019, 03:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Marian, Individual private lessons can be really expensive. I teach in Groups of six and charge $5 per hour from each of them. My Classes are generally 2 hours, so I'm making essentially $30 per hour. It's likely not enough, but I enjoy it and it's my second career since I'm a retiree. Additionally, I live in a farming community and charge accordingly.

I used to teach Home Schooled children in Groups and loved that as well. I charged $10 per child for three hours! I know I wasn't making much, but I really enjoyed having the kids here. They've all grown up now and still come by to visit.

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2019, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I have not taught privately, but I am teaching groups online in a different subject than art (working with poisonous plants in magic), and I charge $25/hr per person. This past session I had 40 people sign up for 12 hours each, or a total of $12K for 3 months. This is why I can quit my non-art shop next month. Teaching online is very lucrative.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2019, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast
Comfort,Texas

Interesting topic,,, I have been asked a few times recently if I teach or would consider teaching, and it is something I would like to do.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2019, 07:24 PM
Falmouth MA

These answers have been very helpful. I live on Cape Cod. I'm thinking I should charge between $30 and $35/hour. That seems reasonable for a private lesson and one on one attention. I used to teach groups of 8 children back in the 90's but I don't remember how much I charged. I included all materials and do recall that I felt fairly compensated.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2019, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Vallejo, CA

Hails from United States

An example of comparative cost also might other professions that charge by the hour- a masseuse, for example. Understanding local fees for that profession might help one understand a cost that other locals will pay.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2019, 09:59 PM
DC

Hails from United States

I looked at 3 organizations in my general area that offer group classes. I live in a large metropolitan area. The average hourly rate is roughly 15-20/hour. However! The class sizes can be LARGE. I've taken a class with 20 students- we were all kind of on top of each other. Iíd definitely pay 30-35/ hour for some good focused instruction. My class was a little haphazard.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2019, 01:08 AM

I hold classes in my studio at the rate of $150 for a course lasting six weeks. Each individual class lasts two hours, with a class limit of 6 members, which averages $12.50 per hour for each student, or $25 per class (x6). At the end of the 6 week period, we simply begin the next 6 week course. I find that with only 6 students per class, I have plenty of time for individual help after my demonstration of the lesson/project of the day. This way I can enjoy the class myself without feeling too stressed trying to get around to meet everyone's needs. I also have a camera trained on my painting desk which projects my demonstration to a big screen TV so that everyone can easily see what I am doing as I demo.

I only teach three of these courses per week, about six hours of teaching time per week for me, with some additional prep time, of course. Generally speaking, the same group of students grow to enjoy each other and continue on in the same group, although at times circumstances may necessitate someone changing to another group/class time or if they want to challenge themselves with a more advanced group. I know that $25 per person is a low ball figure for a two hour class for most communities, but I enjoy the teaching, and my goal is to help others develop a love for watercolor like I have. I want to price the classes so that most people who want to learn watercolor can afford them. Besides, I think I teach the classes as much for myself as for my students. I love it! That, and it pays the rent for my large studio which is my private space for the rest of the week
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2019, 08:49 AM
Falmouth MA

Thank you all. Stephen, your comment makes much sense. I pay my house cleaner $35/hour so that sheds a new light on my question. BTW, I love your blog and read every one!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2019, 11:19 PM

Just took several sessions in Paris with live models, little instruction, 15-18 students, $15-20 US dollars a session. I'd gladly pay well for a private session.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2019, 11:45 PM

Hails from Australia

Quick hopeful suggestion?

Can everyone (especially if your country isnít in your profile) put the currency they are speaking of please? Itís a great topic, very useful, but not everyone who uses the Ď$í is in the USA

I assume the number of years of teaching experience counts for quite a bit with these things? For example, I teach one-on-one, couples and groups of around 10 (Italian language and culture). I charge less for couples at the moment because itís an area Iím branching out into, and so I take into account that I may be less organised and experienced than I am with the other classes. Any time youíre starting out with something new, I advise discounting. The word of mouth, if you do well, will build your student pool. If it is a bit rocky, the students wonít badmouth you since they know it was discounted. Win, win!

I charge single students $50 (AUD 🇦&#127482 per hour (students $45). Group adult classes $20 each for 90 mins. Group kids classes $25 each. Depends a lot on how many materials/resources I provide. if itís at my house, or community venue (with rent).
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2019, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Vallejo, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcolman
Thank you all. Stephen, your comment makes much sense. I pay my house cleaner $35/hour so that sheds a new light on my question. BTW, I love your blog and read every one!

Hi Marian. Thank you for the compliment! Writing is often a private, quiet affair, so it's always really nice to hear from happy readers!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2019, 06:59 AM

Steven I am especially focusing on your Zbukvic cliff notes right now as I prepare to teach my workshop. I am convinced that the paint to water ratio, both on the brush and on the paper, is perhaps the most important concept for watercolor painters to understand. I am very much appreciating your takeaways from his book. I just requested it from the library yet again. I wish I could find a reasonably priced copy. Thanks again for all you do!