Home Forums The Town Center Café Guerbois Speakeasy-Games Silly wisdom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    opainter

Do you ever feel like you have something silly to say that you would like to proffer as wisdom?

Then you have come to the right place!

It can be in the form of a silly saying, a silly poem, or anything else that is silly and short.

I will start with a Haiku poem:

Never suggest that
        Skinny flirts in miniskirts
        Mustn’t fail math!

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
        :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
        :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

Artchrispy

‘You have to risk it to get the biscuit.’

I believe it’s a skater expression. I did hear a winter Olympics commentator apply it to snow boarding.

Christophervasil.com

’You have to risk it to get the biscuit.’

I believe it’s a skater expression. I did hear a winter Olympics commentator apply it to snow boarding.

This saying actually originates from a 70’s TV advert in the UK for a muesli bar, which had the catchphrase “I’ll risk it for a Swisskit” (Swisskit pronounced like ‘Biscuit’ but with a ‘Sw’ at the start).
            A while later, British people just started saying “risk it for a biscuit”.

A ‘biscuit’, in the UK, is the same thing that Americans call cookies.

I like finding pearls of wisdom in song lyrics. One of my favorites is from a song by ‘The Eels’ called “P.S. You Rock My World” (from the ‘Electro-Shock Blues’album, much of which is about the songwriter Mark Everett dealing with his sister’s suicide and his mother’s terminal lung cancer.) which contains the phrase “a careful man tries to dodge the bullets while a happy man takes a walk.” meaning that we can sometimes be too involved in being careful to enjoy simply living.
            The final line of the entire album is “And maybe it’s time to live.”

No matter how much pain you are in, and how much you want it to all be over, at some point you have to decide to live… not just exist.

Get eight hours of sleep, Nine if you’re ugly.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
            Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Artchrispy

This saying actually originates from a 70’s TV advert in the UK for a muesli bar, which had the catchphrase “I’ll risk it for a Swisskit” (Swisskit pronounced like ‘Biscuit’ but with a ‘Sw’ at the start).
                A while later, British people just started saying “risk it for a biscuit”.

A ‘biscuit’, in the UK, is the same thing that Americans call cookies.

Thanks for the etymology lesson, I can now use the expression with confidence. I half suspected ‘biscuit’ carried a risque double entendre. :)

Christophervasil.com

mbeckett

a bird in hand can make a hell of a mess.

if i remember right, this was an Archie Bunker pearl of wisdom.

Mike
                    Etsy eBay
                    Said Hamlet to Ophelia, ”I'll draw a sketch of thee;
                    What kind of pencil shall I use? 2B or not 2B?”
                    Spike Milligan

Kosmon

three lefts make a right

Hemmed & Hawn
                        from
                        PERESTRELLO's BOX[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
                        Root, Bone, Sticks & Stone
                        mbeckett

Even a broken watch shows the time correctly twice a day.

Mike
                            Etsy eBay
                            Spike Milligan

bvanevery

Let us eat lettuce.
                                It’s a lettuce eat lettuce world out there.

opainter

I scream, you scream, we all scream “ice cream,” if you lettuce.

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
                                    :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
                                    :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

bvanevery

Whenever someone says “too too” or “to two” or any such combo, always correct them. “No. Bishop Tutu.”

mbeckett

you’re a marvel… you should have been a sausage

my grandmother used to say that when she thought we were being braggarts. i have no idea where the saying came from. anyone know?

Mike
                                            Etsy eBay
                                            Spike Milligan

bvanevery

Sounds like a derivative of an advertizing campaign.

Pin a rose on your nose and call yourself a rosy nosy.

mbeckett

[that’s what i thought. if i can only find some marvel sausage]

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night. — Steve Martin

Mike
                                                    Etsy eBay
                                                    Spike Milligan

bvanevery

“Surely you can’t be serious?”
                                                        “I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 133 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.