Home Forums Explore Media Watermedia Have I ruined my Gouache??

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Swaggertoes

Help! I emptied the entirety of some holbein gouache into a small cotman palette for use on the go on colored paper.

It has cracked and will not stay in the wells.

Is there a way to fix this debacle so I can carry them with me again?

I have encountered this problem, you need to keep gouache moist. Try adding a drop of water to each and maybe a drop of gum arabic. I either use tubes or my Caran d’Ache pan gouache which don’t have that problem and wet very easily. I have the older round pan set.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

MissMagic

Re-wet it and add glycerine. Winsor and Newton gouache also does this cracking and crumbling and glycerine solves the problem nicely.

Swaggertoes

Re-wet it and add glycerine. Winsor and Newton gouache also does this cracking and crumbling and glycerine solves the problem nicely.

Nice! I actually have glyerine at the house already.

That’s what I’d recommend.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Yes, I agree. I filled an empty plastic palette pans, with Gouache to use for my Gouache Set (to take with me on holiday) and very soon ALL the 12 Gouache pans had cracked and dried out. I didn’t know about the Glycerine, so I’m going to try that also. Thanks!

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

Swaggertoes

Thank you for the glycerine suggestion. It does help keep a bit of moisture on the pans so they don’t crumble out. So far so good!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.