Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Framing Discussions No paint under the bottom part of the mat

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    egold89

Hi There,

I am will be selling my watercolor paintings for the first time on Etsy. They will be sold framed and matted. I am painting birds.

One of my paintings is just the head and neck of the bird. I used the bottom part of the mat as the cutoff point, meaning, if you were to remove the mat there would be a gap between the painting and the bottom of the paper. Is this ok since the painting is meant to be kept in this mat?

Steve Collins

I assume that what you mean by “gap” is margin? As a rule, I paint all works on paper with a 3/8″ to 1/2″ margin. Also, I make a point of avoiding painting anything precious too close to the outer edges. I’m also a custom framer and this habit makes my life as a framer much easier. Since watercolor paper, mat board, glass and frame all expand and contract at different rates, a crucial part of framing is accommodating these dynamics. That means a healthy amount of overlap of the mat over the edges of the art. Expansion and contraction can cause intermittent exposure of the margins within the mat opening if there’s no overlap. As a rule, I like to have at least 1/8″ of the painting go under the mat opening all the way around.

Give up on trying to eliminate or minimize overlap. It will drive you crazy.

egold89

Hi Steve. Thanks for letting me know!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.