WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#166   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States
Re: temperature controller tutorial

an SSR output CANNOT be used for an electromechanical relay.... an EM relay turns on about every 10 to 20 seconds, while an SSR turns on about 10x more often....the relay you showed is a latching relay and that is not the right one.... read the article, i believe i posted a link to digikey where you can purchase a T92 relay....they cost around $20 and can handle a lot more current and are not latching.
  #167   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 PM

On ebay there are a number of tec 9090 digital controllers. Does anyone have anyexperience with these?

thanks
  #168   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2012, 08:08 AM

Is there a standard protocol for programming the controller. the nomenclature is daunting. thanks,
  #169   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2013, 10:12 AM

I know this is an old tutorial but I am new to the site and I have a question. Is this type of controller programable or do you set a temp and it get the oven to that temp and holds it. I am looking to make an annealing oven as well as an oven to do some slumping and fusing in.
  #170   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Houston, TX

Hails from United States

Welcome CMHN. The answer to your question depends on which controller you purchase. Technically this tutorial is how to take a controller and wire it up to use with your kiln and not how to build an actual controller. The controller is a component of the entire unit - I hope that makes sense.

There are many controllers on the market and you need one that has a ramp and soak feature. If you want to slump and fuse you will need one that will register temperatures high enough for fusing. I made a controller using Mark's instructions and it works perfectly (for the last 6 years) - BUT I purchased a controller that only registers to 999° and so it's just for bead annealing.

Mark has lots of tutorials on WC and every one of them is awesome!
  #171   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2014, 12:40 PM

Hi All!

Revisiting a very old thread, but I felt I had to thank Mark again for the inspiration and his effort in this tutorial.

I built one of these a couple years back, and have just completed my second. Now that I have more than one kiln and more than one power requirement, I have created this "hybrid" that will run any of my kilns, up to 45 amps, no matter if 120 or 240 volts!

Built around an Omega CN7500 and with K type TC, and with output receptacles for either type kiln, I can run any kiln I own without a lot of hassle and reprogramming, rather just plug, choose program, and go!

Thanks again Mark, if you're out there!

And Happy Kilning Everyone!

~BC
Attached Images

#172   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2014, 07:50 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States

good job....but i do not understand the 240v plug.... i see that the input plug is 120v, and that you have a 120v ouitput plug.....that i understand....but do you also have a 240v input plug as well since you have 2 relays and a 240v output plug??????
  #173   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2017, 01:27 PM

So three and a half years after the last post...

I'm reasonably electrical competent on the assembly side, but the design side....not so much. A second set of eyes that this combination will work would be appreciated. This is for a stove pipe bead annealer, so 960F is the top of my needed range, and wiring will go straight from stove element to controller/relay box to plug.

700C max K type thermocouple(ebay link)
Mypin TA4-RNR Controller(ebay link)
JQX-12F 2Z DC 12V 30A DPDT General Purpose Power Relay(ebay link)

Seem like a good combo?
  #174   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2017, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Houston, TX

Hails from United States

I am not the best person to respond to this. Mark Wilson would be if he is still around. My current project is using a Raspberry Pi to control two kilns with controls and displays available to various devices on my LAN via a browser.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" - Thoreau