Home Forums Explore Media Glass Art Let’s Talk Glass Technical Forum Looking for high CFM ventilation fan???

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi, I’m am upgrading my ventilation…..I want something with high CFM’s, like around 1000 CFM. I would like to know if anyone out there has something in this CFM range. If so, please tell me what model you have and where I can get one. I know some industrial range hoods are available with over 1000 CFM but they cost a fortune and are far to pretty to put in my studio. I want something affordable ($100-$500 ish) and stronger. My current fan is 350 CFM and I’m not happy with it. Anyone know of anything???

Nightcat

Go to the Home Depot website and look up “Gable Vent”. Master Flow makes several models. One is something like 1500 and the other is 1700. They have a thermostat built in but that can be replaced with an on/off switch. If you can’t find it I will find the link.

~NightCat~

DesignDIVA

You could try a high end appliace store, one that would sell commercial hoods. I know Trail Appliances sells them, but I’m sure they are not the only ones. I’m sure a heating/mechanical shop would be able to help you too.

Just watch out those high CFM means you need to have ALOT of make up air, so you have to discuss that issue with whoever you buy it from. I know when we (the company I work for) install a hood with a CFM higher then 400 we have to install an extra furnace, because in our lovely cool climate we need to also heat that extra air. If your in a warmer part of BC you may not require that.

Hope that helps.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]AMANDA
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Knowledge is my weapon, patience my attire."
            http://glasscandydesigns.blogspot.com/
            Check out the blog for E-bay listings... :cat:

Cheng076

Go to your local heating/air conditioning/sheet metal dealer/shop and ask them for a furnace blower from a replaced furnace. It’s almost never the fan that fails in a furnace. I got a 3 speed 2000 cfm unit for free. You can find them smaller. The shops have to pay to have the old units removed and will often let you take what you want. Sometimes they will remove it for you or for twenty bucks or trade. If you explain what you want it they can help with a hood and ducting.

Federal Way, WA
                [FONT=Century Gothic][email protected]

Onalee

is it possible to put in a stronger motor and fan in existing unit? Onalee

Onalee's Studio

My eBay Auctions
                    Mark Wilson

if you can find a fan used or for free, go for it!!! but if you can afford $150 or so, you can buy a new direct drive industrial blower here.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?operator=searchProductBySubCat&segment=HVAC&family=Blowers&subcat=Direct+Drive+Blowers

stay away from blade or turbo fans. while they work great to ventilate your attic, they cannot move air though ventilation ducts all that well. for example, a fan that can move 1000cfm operating out in the open, can move only 100 cfm when trying to blow air into a 8 to 10 inch duct. the only kind of fan to get is a squirrel cage fan as it has enough output pressure to still move a lot of air through ducts.

Onalee

Thanks Mark. Sounds good. I’m not sure I have enough exhaust in the one I have. I have a door open right beside me when I torch and I’m sure that helps but would like to have more ventilation. Onalee

Onalee's Studio

My eBay Auctions
                            Mark Wilson

if all you have for ventilation is an open door and a fan in a window somewhere, then you do not have enough ventilation. you don’t have to spend a lot of money on it. i went the ultra cheap route in my studio. it is a little on the low side but i think it works fine. check it out here

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234997&highlight=cheap+ventilation

note that after i posted in the above thread, i added some baffles on the sides and back to extend the hood downward toward the bench top. this improved my ventilation quite a bit. i think i have posted photos somewhere here at WC showing the new configuration.

Go to your local heating/air conditioning/sheet metal dealer/shop and ask them for a furnace blower from a replaced furnace. It’s almost never the fan that fails in a furnace. I got a 3 speed 2000 cfm unit for free. You can find them smaller. The shops have to pay to have the old units removed and will often let you take what you want. Sometimes they will remove it for you or for twenty bucks or trade. If you explain what you want it they can help with a hood and ducting.

I know this is quite an old thread but I was hoping that this set up was still up and running. Do you happen to have any other pics from the side or other angle? Tried to find more on other threads but no luck. I have upgraded to a 1100 cfm inline fan because I plan to start fuming soon and I think this type of hood way to go. I am not much of a metal worker though and all the prefabs are way out of my budget :(

this was my previous set up

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                              • The topic ‘Looking for high CFM ventilation fan???’ is closed to new replies.