WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2019, 02:07 AM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles

Hails from United States
Selling more constantly

Hello all! I have been represented by Ugallery for two years and have sold some pieces with them. I would like to try other venues to sell more constantly(as of this year I have only sold 4 pieces!)...I've been thinking of doing many 1 hour or 2 hours alla prima studies and sell them on Daily Paintworks or another site like that. The problem I see is that if I do, there's going to be some controversy on prices as I will have to lower my prices to $100 or a little more for my studies..ugallery charges 50% plus $75 shipping..that means that if one of my paintings sell for $475 I only get $200 back. Would this be a good strategy? What should I do or try? Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2019, 07:34 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States
Re: Selling more constantly

Why does Ugallery have to know about it? Also, I think a study should cost less than a regular painting, so I don't see the problem with lower prices on dailypaintworks.com. Best of luck to you!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2019, 09:34 PM
Enthusiast
Napa Valley, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
Why does Ugallery have to know about it? Also, I think a study should cost less than a regular painting, so I don't see the problem with lower prices on dailypaintworks.com. Best of luck to you!

I'd say if you charge less for a study, make sure it's listed as a study, so you don't devalue your other paintings.

Studiously,
Karen
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 03:10 AM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles

Hails from United States

Thank you, Harold and Karen! I appreciate your kind comments and advices. I'll see if I can give it a try, i like the idea of painting almost every day and see if those paintings sell...I'm not an alla prima painter and my works take many days to finish them, so this project could be a good challenge and practice for me. Would changing my name help also? On Ugallery I'm Jose H. Alvarenga on daily paintworks I could be Jose Hector only..and write my initials J.H.A to sign my name.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Enthusiast
Napa Valley, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintor
Thank you, Harold and Karen! I appreciate your kind comments and advices. I'll see if I can give it a try, i like the idea of painting almost every day and see if those paintings sell...I'm not an alla prima painter and my works take many days to finish them, so this project could be a good challenge and practice for me. Would changing my name help also? On Ugallery I'm Jose H. Alvarenga on daily paintworks I could be Jose Hector only..and write my initials J.H.A to sign my name.

Sounds like a good idea to me. It would certainly distinguish them from your other work.

Wishing you much good luck with it,
Karen
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2019, 04:34 AM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles

Hails from United States

Thank you, Karen! I appreciate all your help and encouragements. I will give it a try and see how it goes. i might see if I can try another online gallery like ugallery...it might also be interesting to try the waters somewhere else because I do have lots of paintings for sale there already.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 04:30 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

I keep remembering my one visit to Paris, France in 1980. I recall a stretch of street on which a number of artists set out their paintings on the sidewalks and even set up easels to paint while tourists stopped to watch them - and buy paintings from them.

Rather than limit sales to online venues only, an artist could take a couple already-painted studies - and/or sell the study made that day - to places where they can paint and actively sell on site each day in places where tourists and locals, alike, pass by. Southern California has many areas that might support such an activity.

A drawback would be the added planning and logistics, but in SoCal, sales could easily more than make up for that.

There are probably a few 2D artist enclaves in LA and surrounding locales which might be willing to share their thoughts on the best places to paint plein air, too.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2019, 05:59 PM

Hails from United States

Lots of good suggestions here. Now I know why art sold through galleries is so outrageously expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if you sold a lot more frequently if you set up your own website. You would just have to find another way to market yourself - maybe via instagram, other social media, leaving cards around at cafes. You could even have certain types of paintings you sell on UGallery and others that you sell on your own. (I would personally sell the ones I want to charge more for on my own, because doubling the price to sell lower priced paintings on UGallery doesn't seem as outrageous to a potential customer than doubling the price of a larger/more expensive painting.)

Last edited by LeahPaintsPonies : 10-21-2019 at 06:03 PM.