The Mystery Masterpiece Game (or MM) - How to play? It's simple!
Please note that a new MM thread can only be created by the winner of the last one!
To win an MM, you must post:
• Name of the artist
• Title of the work
• Date (if you can find one, either on the web or elsewhere)
• A URL link to the work. This link can be posted either by you (the "winner"), or by the originator of the MM. Ideally (but not required), it should contain the MM image plus the title, artist, and date, but do the best you can.
Important: If you do not post a link, please wait for the originator to return and validate (or "tag") you before you start the next MM thread.
If you do post a valid link, you can start the next one right away.
Here's how to start a new MM:
• Find a JPEG (.jpg) image somewhere on the Internet, and post it in a new MM thread. The artwork can be in any style or medium, from any time period, and does not have to be from a museum site.
• Make sure your image has not been posted in a previous MM thread, by searching for the artist's name on all pages of Mystery Masterpiece Index
and then viewing any previous MM threads for that artist. (Note: One artist can be the subject of several different MMs.)
• To search, open the index page (again, search all pages), press control F (or click Edit, then Find on your toolbar) and type the last name of the artist (Note: some artists' names may have different spellings, e.g. Anthony Vandyke/van Dyck/van Dyke).
• Remember to use the
icon if the image contains nudity.
• Finding your proposed MM online
is most important because we all live in different countries and do not have access to the same books.
• Make sure the name of the JPEG file you post does not contain either the title of the work or the name of the artist. A few of us look there first... Sneaky, huh? Also make sure the artist's signature is not legible in the jpeg.
• Give clues to your MM if it looks like they're needed, or if they are requested. It's entirely up to you when to give clues or how many clues you wish to give.
• Return to tag the winner, and provide a link if necessary, when the mystery is solved.
Please join in if you want to! The more, the merrier!
Link to list of previous MM
WC! Art History forum team.