WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Johannes Vloothuis
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#3601   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Johannes - Student Critique Posts Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToskaFromAlabama
Here is reference photo and painting from the area I was looking at. Huntsville, AL It was a beautiful lagoon park area. But too manicured for me to paint. So as you can see, I changed it a lot. I used the dark trees to the right and a blooming cherry tree. I painted it very fast, less than an hour.
(Plein Air) Small 9 x 12 oil:

I feel your tree is to even on the protrusions and indentations. Also the shape in between the branches is quite symmetrical. The pink does make a focal point which is not too loud.
  #3602   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2014, 04:43 AM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

Hi Johannes,

This is a nostalgic scene from when I was a child. It was an urban area but it had/(still has) a lovely park which of course seemed quite large when I was growing up. My Grandmother used to take me there on a hot summer day to play in the covered sandboxes and also to swim in the childrens pool - there were summer day camps and in the winter I learned how to ice skate on the fish ponds. In the future I most likely will attempt some scenes from the different seasons.

This is water soluble oil paints on 11 x 14 inch canvas board. I did work with Liquin with the second coat and I do like it. A slight odor but tolerable and brushes still washable with soap and water after wiping them on paper.

"A Child Skating at West Hudson Park"

Any feed back you can give would be appreciated.

http://www.bjranous.weebly.com
  #3603   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2014, 04:54 AM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

Hi Johannes,

I keep looking at this painting thinking there is something not quite right and was hoping you could give me some feedback. Water Soluble W&N oil paints - used Liquin on the second coat of this painting.

"Rocky Mountains in the Fall"

#3604   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresgatos
Hi Johannes,

I keep looking at this painting thinking there is something not quite right and was hoping you could give me some feedback. Water Soluble W&N oil paints - used Liquin on the second coat of this painting.

"Rocky Mountains in the Fall"

Overall it works. If we want to get picky then I would say the white tree trunks are equally spaced and have the same width. I guess you are conveying a night scene?
  #3605   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

[quote=Tresgatos]Hi Johannes,

This is a nostalgic scene from when I was a child. It was an urban area but it had/(still has) a lovely park which of course seemed quite large when I was growing up. My Grandmother used to take me there on a hot summer day to play in the covered sandboxes and also to swim in the childrens pool - there were summer day camps and in the winter I learned how to ice skate on the fish ponds. In the future I most likely will attempt some scenes from the different seasons.

This is water soluble oil paints on 11 x 14 inch canvas board. I did work with Liquin with the second coat and I do like it. A slight odor but tolerable and brushes still washable with soap and water after wiping them on paper.

"A Child Skating at West Hudson Park"

Any feed back you can give would be appreciated.[/QUOTE
I realize it is a common practice for artists to immortalize their memories thru painting. This being the case it is not fair to critique because it is how you remember things. The technical aspects are not important under these conditions. Now that being said well maybe you could partially block on of the holes in the bridge to avoid cloning. The posts can also be uneven.
  #3606   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

Thank you for your kind remarks - appreciate your taking the time.