WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2014, 01:02 PM

Re: Oil Painting instruction books

Alla-Prima is definitely the best by far...
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2014, 03:29 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Other Washington

Hails from United States

Hi blenheim! I'd go with Don's advice. I think Alla Prima is one of the best books out there on direct painting, but you've said you're interested in underpainting and glazing, and Alla Prima doesn't going to cover that at all (the title's a tip off!). I have heard good things about the Aristide book that Don recommended, although since I'm interested in direct painting, I haven't really studied it.

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Fort Worth, Texas

Hails from United States

I second don's suggestion of checking the library. I did that for Schmid's book before I purchased the new expanded one. I just devoured the original Alla Prima and knew I would greatly utilize the expanded version. And I had to resort to an inter-library loan in order to find a copy of the original. Worth the trouble.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2014, 10:37 PM

Hails from Canada

I have the Leffell Cateura book as well as Gregg Kreutz (who was a student of Leffell) 'problem solving for oil painters'. They both came on the recommendation of my art teacher who has been using them as a reference for the last 25 years. I've read both a few times, and feel like I've barely scratched the surface of either. While I do concede the point that not all Leffells pictures appeal to me, he has a lot worth learning from. But they are definitely not instructional as far as glazing goes.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2014, 07:49 AM
Storrs, Connecticut

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcharhinus
I'm also familiar with Gurney's work and I know he's a fantasy painter. Does the book cater specifically to that style, does it discuss universal techniques using his personal work as a point of example, or is it a more academic text with him referencing other painters?
Color and Light, by James Gurney, discusses universal techniques using his paintings as examples.
"Perhaps our greatest challenge as creative people is getting outside our own box. As long as we stick to the world as we know it, we will produce work that is safe, comfortable and familiar. What lies beyond this world is pretty much invisible to us, but it also happens to be where the creative juice flows. It seems that we are at our most creative when we are in a state of not knowing." -- Bert Dodson