Home Forums Explore Subjects Illustration What kind of paper do Japanese Manga artists use?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Punchy

Hello,
        I am wanting to know what kind of paper Japanese Manga artists typically use, also where the raw materials is sourced to make it, and also who distributes it here in the U.S. (which companies)?
        Thank you

tamiea

HI i can only give you generic guidelines. Most modern Manga artist use marker paper and markers for manga. There are also special storyboard paper that is already preset with storyboard squares. Most of that tools you can buy in bigger art stores. Here in Montreal we have Omer deserre that sells most of this stuff. You can probably check their site for guidelines. I hope it helped a little.

M.L. Schaefer

Welcome, Punchy.

There is special Manga paper especially made for Comics. This is one brand I read about…there may be many more.

http://www.artsupplywarehouse.com/finelineDisplay.php?id=13A030

Many Manga are printed in black and white. Although, most often seen (by me) are colorful Mangas.

Either way, you would need special paints and inks that would photograph well or something that would allow the Manga to be printed. Gouache (a favorite with illustrators) would work. Maries carries Gouache (Maries is a supplier of Chinese watercolors and gouache, especially formulated for the Chinese market.) I actually have some Maries watercolor I bought a while ago to use for painting Rice Paper (Maries watercolor has a glue binder, not the typical Western watercolor binders). I bought my Maries watercolor on eBay.

Margarete

P.S. I’m not a Manga or Anime expert, but I do love to look at it! :)

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
                Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • The topic ‘What kind of paper do Japanese Manga artists use?’ is closed to new replies.